Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15108 - 11/04/04 10:01 PM From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
yeungrita Offline

Dear All

My husband and I are planning to visit Andalucia (our 1st time to visit Spain) this coming Easter and we're having problem in deciding whether we should go to Seville from Lisbon or from Madrid. The point is we are from Asia and there's no direct light from our home town to Spain. We've to take the connecting flight from one of the European cities (eg, Rome/Frankfurt etc)to either Lisbon or Madrid. Of course we would love to visit Lisbon before heading for Andalucia. Thus, we would like to know if there's any bus that runs from Lisbon to Seville? Is it faster than taking the train? Is the bus runs daily and frequent? How long does the journey take (It would be lovely if there's a bus scedule website)? On the other hand, if we go to Seville from Madrid, would you recommed us to take the bus instead of the AVE train which is more costly? How much is the bus fare and does the bus run daily and frequently also..and the length of time also? Many many thanks for you all in advance!

#15109 - 11/05/04 08:10 AM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
I would ask for some advice from members about the pros and cons of traveling to Seville around Easter. I think it is the busiest time of the year in Seville and you might have a very hard time finding train reservations, hotels, etc.

It is my understanding that Easter falls on March 27, 2005, and after that is Holy Week, and Feria de Abril. Does anyone know the exact dates of the Feria?

#15110 - 11/06/04 06:16 AM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
sparkalina writes:
Quote:
It is my understanding that Easter falls on March 27, 2005, and after that is Holy Week, and Feria de Abril. Does anyone know the exact dates of the Feria?
Holy Week (Semana Santa) is the week leading up to Easter (i.e., not 'after' Easter as your post implies). Sevilla's Feria de abril is usually two weeks after Easter, so that would indicate around 10 abril. Everything is keyed around the date of Easter Sunday.

yeungrita: I posted a reply to your query on Fodor's bulletin board. Lisbon is definitely worth a stop, even for just a couple of days.

#15111 - 11/06/04 07:15 AM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
yeungrita

I flew to Liston several times from Madrid at a cost of 131 euros. Since last year, the price went up to the 500s euros. This will be the recommended way to go.

Some months ago we took the Seville to Lisbon bus. An eight hour ride, day and night schedules, 50 euros roundtrip. The scenery is beautiful, enchanting little towns on your way and you stop in Badajoz for a lunch or dinner break.

For a place to stay I would check Bancotel, I have done great with their vouchers in Lisbon. I also stayed once at Hostal Estrella Do Saldhana, a place just to hang your hat.

Semana Santa in Seville is and experience that we should all enjoy at least once in our lives. I fully agree with Eddie about planning your trip well in advance for that event. If you find your way to go, by all means, please go.

Epaulino

#15112 - 11/07/04 09:15 AM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Epaulino4 writes:
Quote:
I flew to Liston several times from Madrid at a cost of 131 euros. Since last year, the price went up to the 500s euros. This will be the recommended way to go.
SpanAir often has weekend 'specials' to Lisbon from Madrid.
Quote:
Some months ago we took the Seville to Lisbon bus. An eight hour ride, day and night schedules, 50 euros roundtrip. The scenery is beautiful, enchanting little towns on your way and you stop in Badajoz for a lunch or dinner break.
http://www.eurolines.es
Click on the top picture (Lineas Internacionales)

Quote:
... I also stayed once at Hostal Estrella Do Saldhana, a place just to hang your hat.
I have been recommending Residencial Estrela do Saldanha since '98: Carlos Ferreira, co-owner and Manager speaks passable English. It's at the Duque de Avila exit of the Saldanha station-stop of MetroLisboa. It's also just about 500m from Lisbon's main bus terminal (on Avda. Joao Crisostomo). It looks like the Eurolines bus to Sevilla leaves from Oriente Multimodal transportation Center now; but it may still originate at the old Bus Terminal. The last time I stayed at Residencial Estrela do Saldanha the breakfast (included in room rate) was at Pasteleria Versailles, one of Lisbon's 'Golden Oldies' just next door.

Residencial Estrela do Saldanha is at Avda. de la Republica, 17. Carlos has an e-mail address: Restrela@esoterica.pt and a web site.

The last time I was in Sevilla we stayed at Hotel Monte Olivet, a small hotel on C./Monte Olivos less than 1km from Estación Santa Justa. I don't know if it's a 2 or 3-star but it was convenient and inexpensive.

#15113 - 11/07/04 12:57 PM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Eddie

Breakfast is not included any longer at Estrella do Saldhana as the reception lady explained.

I never met Carlos. One of my concerns was that this nice lady(very senior), was almost never around, and I mean in the property, including the moment we were checking out, which meant leaving the money in an envelope in a pigeon hole at the desk.

Other concerns include security. In her absence, you could go into any room (customers left keys at the desk).

#15114 - 11/08/04 08:58 AM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Eddie,

Thanks for the clarification on the dates. That has always confused me in travel guides. I am hoping to be in Seville for a few days at the end of April, so maybe I should plan now to find a hotel room!

#15115 - 11/09/04 01:48 AM Re: From either Lisbon to Seville or Madrid to Seville....Pls. help!!
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
There is no doubt that it is easier to get to Seville (Sevilla) from Madrid than from Lisbon.

I would recommend the AVE. It is probabaly more expensive than the bus, but not enough to make taking the bus something that you would want to do, and the AVE is a wonderful way to travel.

We had a rental car when we went from Sevilla to Lisbon. In Sevilla we stayed at Hotel Derby. Good location, and they are a part of the Bancotel network. In Lisbon, we were at a Five Star hotel; Hotel Altis near the Plaza Marques de Pombal. The lobby and public areas were five star but not the rooms. Sort of reminded me of a hotel I stayed in, in Hong Kong (Kowloon, actually)

While in Lisbon, I strongly recommend a Brazilian restaurant of the chuhascarria style entitled Porcao. It is not cheap, but absolutely worth it. DO NOT MISS PORCAO.

Also, take the street car down the hill from the Castle St. George. We were so taken with it, that we rode it to the end of the line. We just couldn't get off.

Lisbon is in many ways like San Francisco, so dress warmly. As Mark Twain was supposed to have said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2063 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments