Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15071 - 10/31/04 11:15 AM USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm flying Delta to Madrid in late December (Yipee!!!) for a 10-day visit.

The airplane is a Boeing 767-400 ER and this page says the airplane has "Video Capabilities" but I'm wondering if that's the big, single video screen for everyone to watch or if it means individual video monitors for each person with on-demand video control. Of course, I'd prefer the latter. (who wouldn't?!)

It's my recollection/perception that none of the Delta translatlantic airplanes have individual video monitors. Can someone confirm? Seems there MUST be a helpful website out there which tells which airplane types have this or not. I've done a Google search but couldn't find anything.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15072 - 10/31/04 01:04 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I flew that route two years ago and there was NOT individual video. It would surprise me very much given their financial state if they have installed them. Also, they used those stethescope style pneumatic head phones which sound like listening to music under water!

#15073 - 10/31/04 01:34 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Quote:
Also, they used those sthescope style pneumatic head phones which sound like listening to music under water!
Yeah. Not to mention if ones rear/thighs "fills" the seat these audio tube are invariably bent, rendering the audio useless/inaudible. rolleyes

Having these individual on-demand video monitors is so nice. Wow. They REALLY make the flights seem to go faster. Nothing like forcing EVERYONE on the plane to watch the same crummy movies. Blah! :p

I called Delta to see about an upgrade to business class and was surprised to be told that my tourist-class ticket, which was booked through the Delta.com website, was NOT eligible for any kind of upgrade. He said I had to have made the reservation online in a different way in order to have this option. Ugh. rolleyes But I imagine THAT upgradable tourist-class ticket would've been much more expensive so I guess it's not worth it.

My (Columbus-Atlanta-Madrid) ticket was surprisingly cheap at $554 after all taxes and fees. I've just now checked the price again and at $588 it's STILL really good. That was for a "Coach-Deeply Discounted" ticket. The "Coach-Discounted" ticket is $628 and the "Coach-Flexible" is $1,767 eek . The "BusinessElite/Business" class ticket is $2,063 eek eek eek

I'm sure the "Business Class" seats have individual, on-demand video. Hmph. rolleyes Wish I was rich. I wonder if I can claim the extra expense for Business Class as a necessary business expense on my taxes.... ??? Hmmm... Still, that's VERY expensive for extra comfort, on-demand video, and eating off real plates and drinking free drinks in real glasses for only 10 hours of ones life. Don'tcha' think?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#15074 - 10/31/04 07:49 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

I have flown to Madrid from the states on most of the one-stop airlines. I rate them based on many criteria and I will not fly Delta.

MadridMan-You should try Iberia through Chicago. They usually have a good deal and when you board the plane it is almost as if you are in Spain already! (For better or worse wink ) Free drinks, including cava, good bread and Spanish movies and music. They are allied with American Airlines.

As for the upgrades, I did it on Northwest many times up until several years ago when they eliminated the cheaper fares from elegibility. Now the cheapest fare to upgrade is almost $1000. Another reason I stopped chasing miles!

My early December ticket on Northwest/KLM was $386 plus $74 tax.

#15075 - 11/01/04 12:19 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I also suggest Iberia through Chicago. I always fly out of O'Hare on Iberia, flight leaves around 4:45ish arrives in Madrid around 7-8ish the next morning, direct. and Mongo is right, it is just like you are in Spain from the second you set foot on the plane, heck for that matter even the boarding calls for Iberia flights are in spanish/english. you can read ABC, have some café, or some zumo...and if your really lucky you will have an interesting spaniard seated next to you and find yourself quite entertained all the way nonstop to Madrid laugh

#15076 - 11/01/04 08:13 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Mongo is right - I have always made the attempt to fly European carriers - for a start, they treat you as a person noot a commodity! I completely agree w/ the statement that flying Iberia you feel like you are in Spain for another 6 hours each way. smile Out of numerous trips back and forth, Iberia has consistently had more space - and, believe me, I fly the cheapest way possible - with any and all deals I can find - plus usually the best prices.

And no-one laughs at you if you are crying as you approach Barajas .... wink

#15077 - 11/01/04 09:16 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Does Iberia Airlines have the individual video monitors? I've flown Spanair before and liked them okay but don't recall the video monitors.

I rarely try for specific airlines apart from Delta because I have all my Frequent Flier miles with them and already have accumulated enough for a free R/T ticket - if I ever get to use them. I tried for this trip but there were no seats available to be given for these FFM awards. I imagine they have fewer and fewer available as time goes on.

I'd consider Iberia but the cost is always higher. PLUS I'd have to add the price of the flight from Columbus to Chicago which would certainly add more than $200 to the total price.

As I said above, price is really the most important issue to me when choosing an airline. I can't rationalize/justify spending an extra $100-$500+ more for more comfort, free drinks, and on-demand video for a 10-hour flight (each way).

I don't particularly like Delta flights but I don't dislike them either. I've already had two free R/T flights using my FFMiles and loved using Delta's Crowne Room (back when "the company" was paying for that membership) during layovers.

Saludos, MadridMan

#15078 - 11/01/04 09:24 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I would never argue w/ free ! laugh laugh laugh

#15079 - 11/01/04 09:52 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Scarlett1 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I flew US Airways from Philadelphia in September. They were cheap (I think I paid $430 roundtrip), had a direct flight from Philly and they did have individual video. I agree it is nice to be able to watch what you want, or sleep smile without being disturbed by a big screen over your head.

#15080 - 11/01/04 11:45 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
I flew from Newark, NJ to Madfrid in late September for $550. It was an Aireuropa flight operated by Continental airlines on a Boeing 777 . Video moniters at every seat. Only complaint- the drinks were pretty expensive.

#15081 - 11/01/04 04:54 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Hola Madridman

I just got off the Iberia flight MAD-JFK, I am almost home!

No, no individual videos. A big screen per cabin,(there must be four coach cabins/sections, business and first on the second floor. Two good movies, decent food and free wine in coach. Seats, legroom and overhead are cramped.

Business class is worth it but beware! $1400 euros one way for today.

I agree, service was better than expected (I am loyal to AA). 747s are getting old and the restrooms need to be deodorized badly.

Saludos

E

#15082 - 11/02/04 12:15 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan-If you go to the American Airlines site they will sell you a through ticket from Columbus to Madrid. They fly the Airbus A-340 from Chicago to Madrid.(No individual video, but a very new plane that would even impress epaulino4!)

These days, the only miles I keep track of are the elite. It's nice to get the upgrades and use the preferred seating and check in. They are also good for moving between European cities. From the US to Europe they are darned near useless to me when you can get the days you want for less than $400.

#15083 - 11/02/04 05:46 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks, Mongo. I just visited the American Airlines site and here's the result for my dates:

1 Stop: 782.72 USD
2+ Stops: 585.22 USD

My Delta flight has 1 Stop for $554 after all taxes/fees so there's quite a difference.

Saludos, MadridMan

#15084 - 11/02/04 10:16 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
PrincesitaDeVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
MadridMan, how did you get such a decent price? I flew to Valencia in July and paid $974 for my ticket. I didn't buy my ticket online, went through an agency but prices were the same online. I had 1 stop in Milan. So it went Washington Dulles-Milan-Valencia. I arrived in Valencia about 11:15am but the service with Alitalia was awful.

#15085 - 11/02/04 10:31 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

PrincesitaDeVA, I first checked prices on www.ORBITZ.com and saw the cheapest price was on Delta. From there, I went to the www.Delta.com site and found it was even cheaper there. The prices will inch up as time draws nearer to Christmas but your July price isn't surprising. Summer months are almost always the most expensive months during which to fly.

Saludos, MadridMan

#15086 - 11/02/04 03:01 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Also, try www.travalzoo.com/supersearch

it searches Orbitz,priceline, etc, all at the same time and brings up all the info in catagories so that you don't have to keep entering the same flight information over and over again when you want to try a new company.

I got a quote for 2 tickets from Cincinnati to Madrid with 1 stop in Newark for 354$ a piece through 1-800-fly-europe.

#15087 - 11/02/04 04:25 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Hi MM,
epaulino4 was accurate with Iberia. I'd just arrived home from 3 weeks in Spain last week on Iberia. I had a Spaniard man sit next to me, and I was able to practice my spanish and him, his english, so the flight went so quickly for us. Oh, and I recommend using Iberia website to look for "special offers" http://www.iberia.com/OneToOne/jctx/gateway.es and play with the departing city in the US, like Chicago and NY.
Anyway...
Have a safe and happy trip laugh
~LittleWing~

#15088 - 11/17/04 12:41 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
Here is a site that I ALWAYS check when booking a flight that I can reserve my seat. It shows the best and worst seats on lots of airlines and types of aircraft, AND tells you why. Looks like they also have info about video. Mostly American airlines, but a few others are starting to creep in.

http://www.seatguru.com/

Happy travels, I will also be returning to Spain in December, the 11th-21st. Madrid, Segovia, Toldeo, Barcelona, Seville. Saw a recent post for Vueling...much cheaper tickets than I was finding. I'm hoping to see a reply post from someone who has used it!

#15089 - 11/17/04 05:30 AM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

ditravelphoto, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the SeatGuru.com website link. THAT'S the site I was thinking of and had visited it ONCE before. What wonderful detail about ALL airplanes.

On my plane(s) they have the video monitors hanging from the ceiling. And BEFORE they did not used to charge for the headphones but I wonder if now that Delta is in financial trouble that maybe they will now on transatlantic flights. Hmmm.. Oh well. If they do, I'll still pay for it for entertainment. The "air phones" which have the spongy prongs that go in your/my ears always make my ear-holes sore after a short time and the wired ones aren't any more comfortable and don't always work. I don't know how many flights I've had where only one "channel" worked (left or right).

In planes I always look on those travelers with envy who are watching their own DVDs on personal DVD players or laptops but always wonder if their batteries will survive 'til he end of the movie. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

#15090 - 12/05/04 05:55 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hi All,

Madridman, in my recent flights to Madrid from Atlanta ( on Delta) and from JFK ( on AA) both aircraft were equipped with the VOD ( video on demand) systems.

Aside from periodic interruptions from flight personnel, the systems worked well, offered a pretty nice array of viewing choices, but yeah, had 'aquatic audio,' if you know what I mean...

Anyway, you'll have the opportunity to see several movies in that time span, so, enjoy!

andrew

[forgot to add...] The viewing screens were in the back of the seat in front of me, so was nicer than having the overhead screens five seats ahead of me, or right above where I could not see them... Nice website, the seatguru one!

#15091 - 12/05/04 06:55 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

That's great news, megia! Hopefully they've UPGRADED the airplane I was scheduled to take. Can you find out or remember what type of airplane it was? Was it a 767-class or some other?

Saludos, MadridMan

#15092 - 12/05/04 11:38 PM Re: USA->MAD flights: On Demand Video?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hey Madridman!

I am *almost* 100% certain that at least the Delta flights out of Atlanta are using the Boeing 767-300 series aircraft. ( *complete* with new and improved video-on-demand systems). So your 767-400 ER ought to be at least 'one' better than the one I have flown on. ( Delta's amps go to eleven!)

Sounds like you'll be cruising in style, tho!

Good luck!

andrew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1674 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments