Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#15042 - 10/16/04 06:22 PM Car rental questions?
Admiral4 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I want to rent a car to tour from Madrid airport in a long loop down to Carmona and back up to Madrid airport. In other places around the world, I always rent from Hertz because of a corporate program. I have always had good service and no problems whatsoever. Any particulars regarding car rental to watch out for, take advantage of, or stay away from?

#15043 - 10/17/04 03:21 AM Re: Car rental questions?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
We rented one from Hertz a year ago and it went smooth as silk. I would check around for insurance before you leave we felt the insurance was a rip off and did not take it, drove around Spain for two weeks without insurance. I realize that something happened I could possibly still be over there. But for $750 for two weeks insurance it was a gamble that paid off. You can check Hertz international rental on the web. They are all in Madrid. We did not pick up the car at the port but in down town Madrid.

Good luck.

#15044 - 10/17/04 09:48 PM Re: Car rental questions?
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
In Spain, I found that www.carjet.com provides the best rate, but it is a prepaid and includes a degree insurance too.

#15045 - 10/18/04 09:41 AM Re: Car rental questions?
SimonC Offline

Loc: Madrid - Spain
When i went down south i decided to rent and not use my own car. When you first collect the car... check it out well! they will do you for silly niggles and everything.

I personally had no problems.. i even returned the car really dirty and no problems.

The only thing i have noticed, is that.. it is a lot cheaper if you pick/rent the car outside of the airport. There are loads of other places such as Atocha Train station, where i saved over 60€ instead of the airport!

Hope that helps...

Sim

#15046 - 10/19/04 09:26 AM Re: Car rental questions?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
If you are using a travel agent, ask him or her to check the rates through DER. It is like a car rental wholesale group. They give you a quote and tell you which big name rental company you will get the car from. It is ALWAYS cheaper than getting rates directly from the companies, and when I have used it, my cars have been through Budget and Avis, so I pick them up at Madrid Barajas Airport.

My aunt is a travel agent so she knows all of these good tips. Unfortunately, you have to be a travel agent to use them. They make you pre-pay, but we have returned cars early and they are very quick with a full refund for difference in the number of days.

#15047 - 10/28/04 02:43 PM Re: Car rental questions?
desert dweller Offline

What I would like to know is if there is some agency that one can purchase temporary insurance? I felt that the price of the insurance that Hertz offered was outragous. If anyone has a line on other than the car rental agencies rate, I would like to know about it as we are planning to return in the spring of 2005.

#15048 - 10/29/04 08:00 AM Re: Car rental questions?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
I am fully covered between my State Farm policy, and my gold mastercard, so I am able to decline the coverage the rental car company offers. Check those two things first, you may be in the same boat.

#15049 - 10/29/04 09:11 AM Re: Car rental questions?
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
What do I purchase when renting a car in Europe and I am an insurance agent, everything. Because you are not fully covered by your personal automobile insurance policy and credit card. I do not want to spend my vacation time calling credit card companies and my insurance company to resolve an insurance issue. Meanwhile, the rental car company will place a debit on your credit card to cover any damages or deductible that can be for the entire value of the car. Try reserving a room or renting another car after either reached your maximum credit limit, or the credit card company security unit places a hold on the card.

You should call your credit card company and your insurance agent, and find out what insurance they provide in Europe. Levels of coverage vary and some do not provide coverage outside the United States. In some cases, a credit card company will cover collision after a high deductible and many do have a maximum. Also, ask if there are any other benefits provided for a traveler. Usually, your personal automobile insurance policy only provides liability coverage, no collision or theft especially outside the United States

Also, I read the fine print on the coverage offered because they are all not the same. The following coverage is available to you at the rental car counter:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). Sometimes called a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), this coverage relieves you of financial responsibility if your rental car is damaged or stolen. The CDW may be void, however, if you cause an accident by speeding, driving on unpaved roads or driving while intoxicated. In Europe, I discovered some companies do not cover broken glass and tires or any damage caused by theft or vandalism.

Liability Insurance. This provides excess liability coverage of up to $1 million for the time you rent a car. Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of liability insurance, but not enough to cover damages in a big accident. Check your automobile insurance policy with your insurance agent to determine if you have liability coverage in Europe, and what you need to process a claim. Not all insurance companies are the same.

Personal Accident Insurance. This provides coverage to you and your passengers for medical/ambulance bills. You may want to consider this coverage if you do not have adequate medical insurance. Sure, Europe has socialized medical care, but the coverage may pay for your ambulance trip home.

Personal Effects Coverage. This provides coverage for the theft of personal items in your car. In Europe, not all companies cover all personal items, and there is a maximum.

Also, inspect the car before you drive off. If you notice any damage inform the attendant before you leave the lot.

The cost of this coverage varies among companies, and should make your shopping more interesting. However, I have found competitive rates from two companies while traveling through Europe, http://www.rentacar-worldwide.com/ and http://www.carjet.com/

#15050 - 10/29/04 09:12 AM Re: Car rental questions?
desert dweller Offline

I would be very surprised to find out that a US auto insurance company cover one while they are driving in Europe. I know that it covers us while we are driving not more than 60 miles south of the Mexico border. I have heard that Master Card covers while using rental cars but am unsure about while in other countries. I will make some calls and post my findings.

#15051 - 10/29/04 09:13 AM Re: Car rental questions?
desert dweller Offline

I would be very surprised to find out that a US auto insurance company covers one, while they are driving in Europe. I know that it covers us while we are driving not more than 60 miles south of the Mexico border. I have heard that Master Card covers while using rental cars but am unsure about while in other countries. I will make some calls and post my findings.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments