Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14911 - 08/09/04 07:56 AM Re: airport to madrid
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I've taken the bus/taxi route many times. The bus DOES have a luggage rack inside (be sure to keep an eye on your bag(s)), and, if it is not full of touritsts with backpacks, is actually pleasant. The bus terminal at Cólon is a very small room with glass, rather dark. Most people just wait for the bus on the small concrete island sidewalk next to the small room. I don't know if I would feel comfortable there late at night, but in the daytime there are cabs there constantly, and I think it would be ok. Also if you are arriving from Barjas, you can go immediately outside to Plaza Cólon if you wish. The stairs up are right by the stop, and not long. Be sure to take the bus to Plaza Cólon, NOT to Barajas! They stop at the same place at the airport. The line is outside of the bottom level (arrivals), the middle island, NOT the sidewalk immediately outside the doors. Generally there is a line which you will notice (and generally a long one at that!) There is a sign, but I forget exactly what it says. I imagine it has a standard bus symbol and the route numbers (again I do not recall the route number).

The metro is a pain, many pickpockets, sometimes crowded, a long haul and you have to lug your luggage (is THAT why they call it LUGgage?) around.

If you are dead tired, take a cab directly to your hotel and pay the extra money. You'll be glad you did.

By the way, if you arrive after the money changing station is closed, or, like me, with no cash, only an ATM card, beware that you might not be able to use your card in the machine at the airport, or at least not the one by the money changing place. You may need to run around the airport (try the departures level too) to find an ATM machine which works. Even then you may be SOL. The best thing is to have at least a little travelers' checks on you, or better yet enough Euros to get you through until the next weekday. Credit cards are generally, but not universally, accepted, and the transportation providers are strictly cash, I believe.

#14912 - 08/09/04 09:47 AM Re: airport to madrid
Doe77 Offline

Loc: USA
THANK-YOU ALL for advice on transport.
Thank you MArtin for the ATM heads up. I always go without money and depend on the airport ATM to get strated....I guess I better not this trip

#14913 - 08/23/04 08:17 AM Re: airport to madrid
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
So what would the price for a cab from the airport be approximately ? I know it can vary, but can anyone give me a general idea of what to expect ?

#14914 - 08/23/04 08:45 AM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the old times I used to pay 12 euros TO the airport (FROM, they charge a plus, around 3 euros), but I live in the North area, which is an area you reach soon, coming for the airport.

Nowadays it should be 15/18 euros for this area (TO the airpot, +3 FROM the airport) and maybe up to 24 if it's the opposite part of the city, unless it's in the outskirts, which are areas that you're probably not going to.

Of course, that's with a reasonable traffic, if there is a traffic jam, who knows. I recommend metro or bus unless you are carrying too much weight.

#14915 - 08/23/04 02:22 PM Re: airport to madrid
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
This is a great thread-

I'll be arriving in Madrid on Sunday, September 5th and am planning on Mongo's "hybrid method"
of bus and taxi to Hostal Adriano. Will my Sunday arrival limit my options?

Thanks,
Funes

#14916 - 08/23/04 03:08 PM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course, in Sunday there are both bus (I believe) and taxi, the only doubt is the frequency of the buses and the number of taxis, that could lead to a short delay.

Anyone?

#14917 - 08/24/04 05:28 PM Re: airport to madrid
tobbria Offline

Loc: chicago
Funes,
Let me know how did your travel from airport to
city go? and how much was the cost?we may stay in
same hostel "Adreana"let's know your experience with them. How much for 2pp 2bed's.planing to go in 3rd week of nov.where in chicago? i am in Albany Park.Thanks in advance if u can get this info.
Ugm

#14918 - 08/26/04 01:54 PM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

We will be arriving at Madrid airport on Sept 13 @ 8:15am(if our plane is on time) & need to get to bus Estation Sur by 11:30am to go to Leon. Mongo's "hybrid method" of city bus & taxi sounds good to us, also, but do you think we will have enough time to make it, allowing 1 hr for customs & perhaps delayed flights? Am not even sure where Estation Sur is in Madrid. Thanks for your help.

#14919 - 08/26/04 06:23 PM Re: airport to madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

MOngo's system won't work just as designed, for Estación Sur is in the southern part of Central Madrid.

The central area of Madrid is sorrounded by a Highway that separates it from the outer neighbourhoods, its name is M-30. It's oval, but if it were round, Estación Sur would be in the 4 or 5 of the clock, absolutely close to the highway.

You should leave the airport line at Nuevos Ministerios and there change to the Circular line, that takes you to the E.S., the metro station is Mendez Alvaro, and it's within the Estación Sur. This is a metro pure itinerary.

The bad about this is that the change at Nuevos Ministerios is loooooong through the subway corridors.

Or you could have another hybrid sistem, taking a taxi at Nuevos Ministerios or better Colombia metro station.

I enclose a link to metro page . You can select english, and then 'map', and you can zoom it if you can't see the names well.

You wouldn't normally have problems, at least for the second if all goes well through the customs at least in the modified hybrid system, but you may want to take a taxi if the plane is late or you lose too much time at the customs, for sometimes the traffic, even at the very same M-30 is terribly jammed.

#14920 - 08/27/04 09:35 AM Re: airport to madrid
redbird Offline

Ignacio, thanks so much for the info - that's a great help! Robin smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1623 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments