Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14901 - 08/08/04 11:17 AM airport to madrid
Doe77 Offline

Loc: USA
What is the best way for 2 people to go from the airport to hotel in Madrid?

#14902 - 08/08/04 11:42 AM Re: airport to madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Doe77! Welcome to our little message board!! smile

Please give us YOUR definition of "Best". Does "Best" mean "Cheapest"? "Fastest"? "Most comfortable"? "Safest"?

The cheapest would be by metro.
The fastest would be by taxi.
The most comfortable would be by taxi.
The safest would be by airport shuttle AeroCITY shuttle .

Some of the above options are better than others if your group has more than one person. Some of the above options are better if you're comfortable sharing your "space" with others. One of the above options are cheaper if you don't mind standing for up to an hour on your way to your hotel (if you're staying at a hotel, that is). Some options are better if you have little luggage.

Please give us some more definition of "Best" and we'll try to narrow our suggestions to meet your needs. Thanks and good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14903 - 08/08/04 05:14 PM Re: airport to madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have been using what I like to call the"hybrid" method. I take the bus into Plaza Colon and then a short taxi ride to the city center. It combines economy and convenience and you avoid the 4 euro airport supplement. The bus stop is right outside where customs is and the metro is a bit of a walk from terminal 1, especially with luggage.

On the way back, I either reverse the procees or if I am on Iberia I cab it to Nuevos Ministerios, check my baggage there and am off to Barajas via the metro.

However, if the flight was bad or late, I chuck it all and cab it the whole way! laugh

#14904 - 08/08/04 07:01 PM Re: airport to madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It depends somewhat on what hotel you are going to: Nuevos Ministerios is great for the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, for example; but not so good for the Palace. rolleyes

I'd have to go with Aerocity for door-to-door Service to any Madrid Hotel. cool

#14905 - 08/08/04 07:47 PM Re: airport to madrid
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
From Barajas...I always take the bus to Plaza Colón (I love the view of the city, with all its changes, as I enter it each time) and then a cab to my hostal.

However, on the way back to the airport I don't want to chance anything (like traffic jams... or shlepping luggage through the metro while at a full gallop and possibly losing something...like my mind) so I take the Aerocity limo. They, for me, have been always proven to be punctual and accurate...with time and price.

Sheryl

#14906 - 08/08/04 07:50 PM Re: airport to madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm surprised to read the above few postings regarding the bus to Plaza de Colón. I thought no one used that anymore. Have you used it in the last couple of years? What kinds of buses do you ride? How about the bus station (or wherever you stop) at the Plaza de Colón? Does it seems clean, safe, fine? I'm really interested to know. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan confused

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14907 - 08/08/04 08:57 PM Re: airport to madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

The airport bus is just a plain Madrid city bus that happens to stop/start at the airport. It makes several stops along the way. You catch it under Pza. Colon by going downstairs. I believe there is also an elevator. If you haven't seen it, it would be easy to miss it as the entrance is very non-descript.

I like that it departs from in front of the customs exit. The walk to the metro at Barajas can be a bear after 13 hours en route!

#14908 - 08/08/04 09:21 PM Re: airport to madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Mongo (et. al.), if these are standard city buses making this route I doubt they have any kind of luggage racks, correct? And you say it makes several stops from the airport to Plaza de Colón? Where else does it stop? And how much does it cost? How long do you have to wait until the next one arrives at the airport or how often do they leave?

Saludos, MadridMan

#14909 - 08/08/04 10:25 PM Re: airport to madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

I'm not clear on all the details (mostly because I didn't think I would have to remember! laugh ) There may be some modified racks. It is not a luxury motor coach. I usually sit in the back and put my bags on the shelf under the back window. The cost is low, around 3 euros. You pay the driver when you board. I'm not sure if you can use metro tickets. It departs fairly frequently, at least every 10-15 minutes. I have missed it by seconds and have not had to wait long.

It seems to me, again I don't recall every detail, you go down c/O'Donnel to Avenida La Paz and then you pick up Avenida de America. It doesn't stop on every block but I recall several city stops and they pull off the freeway to stop also.

Coming in in the afternoon can take awhile, but it moves pretty fast in the mid-morning when most of the flights arrive from the US.

You can hook up with the metro via an underground tunnel, but I like to take a taxi.

A minor correction-The station is acually under the Jardin de Descubrimiento not the Plaza itself.

If I end up taking it in September, I'll be sure to take detailed notes!

#14910 - 08/09/04 03:03 AM Re: airport to madrid
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
It's a couple of years since I've used this bus, but seem to remember it is a dedicated airport bus and therefore is set up to easily accommodate luggage - I think there is an area on the bus where there is floor and shelf space, and also I think there is space between the seats (although I might be wrong there).

It is light and spacious and some of the seats are higher up at the back so you get a good view.

I do remember it could be a bit of a struggle, if you have lots of luggage, getting on at the front of the bus and paying the driver, but you get off via a big door in the middle of the bus which is easy.

I think Mongo's estimation of the price is about right, and you can't use your Metro ticket on it.

Next time I will look out for this tunnel that connects it to the Metro, because I have usually struggled up some steps, over a very busy main road and down some more (very long) steps into the Metro. I did think at the time that this was a bit inconvenient - will have to look more closely next time rolleyes

Jo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments