Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14823 - 06/05/04 04:31 PM Madrid to Toledo bus/train logistics?
Tmac Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have read some of the threads about the pros/cons of traveling to Toledo from Madrid and wondered a couple of things...
- how much luggage is managable via bus?
- Since the Renfe is under construction, is it not usable for a train trip to Toledo? What is the train-bus-train logistics I have read about?
- If you arrive via bus, how do we get to the city center? Taxi? Some threads have mentioned an hour walk...
- any other gotchas or recommendations? We are staying at the Hostal del Cardenal. Any input there?
Thanks!

#14824 - 06/05/04 11:20 PM Re: Madrid to Toledo bus/train logistics?
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Toledo is one hour south of Madrid. The bus station in Madrid for southbound buses is called Estacion Sur de Autobuses. It is on line 6 of the Metro (subway) at the Mendez Alvaro Metro stop. Buy your ticket at the counter of the bus company "T. Galiano-Continental". They go to Toledo. Buses to Toledo leave every 30 minutes. Once you get the ticket, look at the electronic board for the gate number for the bus to Toledo. Go to that gate.

Cost: about 4 Euros to Toledo. No limit for luggage. The driver will place all your luggage in the undercarriage compartment of the bus.

When you arrive in Toledo the bus station is less than 1200 meters from Hostal del Cardenal on the north side of town. You could easily walk there in a very short time if you knew the way. But I absolutely promise that you will quickly find yourself hopelessly lost if you are not intimately familiar with the winding 16th century labrynth of streets in Toledo.

Taxis have a minimum charge of something like 2.30 or 2.50, I can't remember exactly. It will cost you the minimum for the very short ride to Hostal del Cardenal.

You've certainly made the right choice for accommodations. Hostal del Cardenal is a VERY nice place!!! You are going to absolutely love it. Beautiful shaded outdoor patio. Stone paths throughout the quiet garden area. You will effectively be living inside the grounds of the spectacular medieval Puerta de Bisagra fortress.

The walk south from H. Cardenal into central Toledo is a STEEP climb. Fortunately, there is a free escalator just a short walk west of H. Cardenal. You can't miss it.

Hostal Cardenal's restaurant has a very good menu. And some excellent house wines. However I'll offer a much better suggestion: the best meal at the best price you are likely to ever find in your life.

Hostal Cardenal is very near Toledo's best Castilian restaurant, El Catavinos, ("WineTaster"). Walk north from Hostal Cardenal on Avenida Reconquista. Catavinos will be on the right side of Avenida Reconquista at number 10. About a 10 minute walk.

Catavinos has an extraordinary collection of the finest Spanish wines at astonishingly low prices. I suggest Enrique Mendoza (a soft Merlot) and Herencia Remondo (a very good Rioja). Also Pesquera! Also Azpilicueta, another excellent Rioja.

The huge portions of Catavino’s 7-course "menu de desgutacion" (tasting menu) would easily feed 4 people. But they only allow two people to share the meal. About 24 Euros for the tasting-menu meal (12 Euros each) includes all the wine you can drink. Plan to spend about two hours eating. And only eat a small portion of each enormous course if you hope to make it to dessert!

El Catavinos offers partridge salad, bell peppers stuffed with rabbit, venison and veal meatballs, stewed suckling pig, roasted goat andalúz, grilled prawns in corvina sauce, tiramatsu ice cream fried in Cognac and much more.

Phone: 92-522-22-56.

#14825 - 06/09/04 09:17 AM Re: Madrid to Toledo bus/train logistics?
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
FredMaine-

I intend to go directly to Toledo from the airport. Should I plan to take a taxi from
the airport to the bus station?

Thanks

#14826 - 06/10/04 11:05 PM Re: Madrid to Toledo bus/train logistics?
tcl Offline

Loc: California, USA
funes : Although I didn't go to Toledo straight from the airport, you can take a taxi or even by Metro. Another option is to take the AeroCity shuttle, but I'm not sure if they do drop-offs at the bus station so check with them.

Just an FYI for you, when we went to the cathedral in Toledo in early May, there was a lot of restoration work being done on the inside. We didn't get to see as much as we wanted (which was a bit disappointing).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments