Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14701 - 04/30/04 10:15 PM Bus Strike in Madrid?
JoanaD Offline

Hi all,
Had to postpone my trip to Spain because I was due to fly in there on March 11. Now I'm scheduled to arrive in Madrid on May 14, and was going to take the bus to Salamanca. However, I now find that Auto-Res says there is an "huelga convocada" for that day (and others also) and there will be no service (I think).
Does anybody know how this will affect the trains? Is it a general transportation strike?
Que suerte! Last time I was in Spain ETA blew up my school in Alicante....

Any info/advice will be much appreciated.

thanks,

Joana

#14702 - 05/01/04 12:13 AM Re: Bus Strike in Madrid?
El Dougo Offline

Here is the Auto-Res website, for those of you who would like to see all the days that may be affected.

#14703 - 05/01/04 11:59 AM Re: Bus Strike in Madrid?
JoanaD Offline

Hi all,

From the previous reply it would seem that the strike is not a "done deal". Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I haven't been able to find anything about it in the press....

Would the trains also be affected, or is this just a private company's labor issues? Does anyone know if another bus company goes to Salamanca? I'm starting to get worried about being stranded in Madrid the week before the Royal wedding, when hotel rooms will be difficult to find and expensive.
Thanks much.
Joana

#14704 - 05/01/04 05:24 PM Re: Bus Strike in Madrid?
El Dougo Offline

Well, I did a search for "huelga" (strike) in the Renfe Notices, and only got one return dated May 12, 2003. I don't speak Spanish. I haven't found anything about a strike other than at Auto-Res either on the web. What the heck, here's the train schedule.

#14705 - 05/03/04 08:23 AM Re: Bus Strike in Madrid?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
From the previous reply it would seem that the strike is not a "done deal". Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Would the trains also be affected, or is this just a private company's labor issues? Does anyone know if another bus company goes to Salamanca?
It just affects Auto-Res, their workers, and their customers. They are negotiating a new colective agreement and things seem no to be too smooth. The series of consecutive strikes began in early March and during every Monday, Friday and Sunday of May Auto-Res will offer only what's called "servicios minimos" (that is, "minimum services") that possibly include only one daily service in each direction in all their routes. All this is subject to changes if they reach an agreement, of course.

RENFE is not affected at all by this strike, so your best bet is taking the train, as no other company serves the Madrid-Salamanca route. As far as I know, bus routes in Spain are concessions from the Government and are assigned only one company per route/area.

#14706 - 05/03/04 04:36 PM Re: Bus Strike in Madrid?
JoanaD Offline

Thanks so much, everyone! I will be taking the train...Hope I can book a seat on TIKNET from my NY home. Well, pase lo que pase... the worst that can happen is that I will have to linger in Madrid until early Saturday morning, when the strike is off.... (for that one day).

Recuerdos a todos,

Joana

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2739 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments