Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14564 - 03/23/04 10:59 AM train from Paris to Madrid
fishball Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi, very glad to have found this site. Found all my accommodations and other info here! Thank you MadridMan. smile

I'm now in a fix as I will be travelling to Madrid from Paris, but would like to take the cheaper option of train travelling by transfering at Irun from Paris, then to Madrid.

Can anyone help me with these questions?
- do I need reservations for the Irun train?
- where can I buy the (Estrella 204) train ticket? I've been to the renfe site. They showed all the correct schedules, but I can't buy the Costa Vasca tix. Only the Talgo or Trenhotel ones can be bought.

I don't know if I should risk it, and buy the train ticket while I switch trains at the Irun station.

Please help!

#14565 - 03/23/04 08:52 PM Re: train from Paris to Madrid
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Before you buy any train tickets, check out flights. We have flown from Paris to Madrid using Europe by Air flight coupons--$99 one way. I believe we were on SpanAir. Things might have changed since then, but you should check all the low cost airlines and Europe by Air first. Good luck!

#14566 - 03/23/04 09:44 PM Re: train from Paris to Madrid
fishball Offline

hi Aidance,
thanks for replying! (I'm always excited to receive replies! laugh )

The thing is, we did searched all the budget air carriers, but not many have the Paris-Madrid flight. Anyway, we've booked the Bcn-Rome flight through RyanAir - at unbelievable £9.99 each person.

We initially thought we'll take the train hotel even though it's very expensive. But as I religiously search the Net for more info, I found that there's a cheaper alternative to the train hotels. (Even Rick Steves said so)

I pretty know how to get about with the trains, it's the part about reserving and buying the ticket for the overnight train, Irun-Madrid, that I can't get info about.

Hope to get more 'insiders' replies! rolleyes

Hopefully Torares can provide me something. Love his detailed replies! :p

#14567 - 03/28/04 10:17 PM Re: train from Paris to Madrid
fishball Offline

hi hi,

I just received a great reply from someone (Rich Perkins) in Sweden! I now know exactly what to do and can travel in great confidence to Spain. So happy!

Thanks Aidance for your great help too in replying my silly question (though it had been quite worrying, at least, for me!).

* MadridMan, I guess you can just remove this thread now. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments