Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14416 - 02/26/04 10:32 AM negotiating roundabouts in Spain
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
I am renting a car in Madrid for a trip to Granada, Gibralta, Seville and back to Madrid. Although I plan on using public transportation once I arrive in these cities, I have a concern about how to drive through or in a "roundabout". I'm not sure we have such intersections in the US. Could someone familiar with this type of intersection let me know the rules of the road! eek

#14417 - 02/27/04 05:48 AM Re: negotiating roundabouts in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is a great question. Also called "Glorietas" (among other names, I think), I've driven around larger ones in Madrid like those around the Puerta de Alcalá and Cibeles.

Yes, they can be tricky and to be honest I don't know the specific rules. (Spaniards??) In fact, I'm not sure there really are any rules other than the glorieta travels in counter-clockwise direction. That might well be the only rule. wink The other rule MIGHT be, "If you make it out alive then you followed the rules!" hehehe...

One might assume that in the larger, multi-lane glorietas that one should ONLY be in the outermost lane if making an immediate exit. The next inner lane would be for those getting off/out in not the first but one of the following exits. The innermost lanes are probably for those making a kind of U-turn or those with a death-wish. wink

Most larger glorietas have painted, designated lanes but... to tell you the truth, they're rarely used except at/near the STOP line and even then it's hit-or-miss. Seems the point is just NOT to hit another car and be careful!

Anyone else? I too would like to know.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14418 - 02/27/04 06:09 AM Re: negotiating roundabouts in Spain
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I drove a car in Spain last year. Most of the time was plain sailing, but yes the roundabouts in the cities were virtually impossible to navigate without at least 1 near-crash experience. Drivers seemed to have zero lane-discipline. I think you have to tread a line between controlled aggression and a willingness to chicken-out (discretion being the better part of valour etc).
Good luck! Maybe the answer is to avoid cities as much as possible!!

#14419 - 02/27/04 09:30 AM Re: negotiating roundabouts in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Greetings from Pennsylvania, land of the 4-way-stop at intersections that see virtually no traffic...

I wish they would build roundabouts here! I miss 'em!

My understanding of them, from driving many years in Madrid, is that those within the circle have the right of way, not those entering the circle.

Once in, be careful and aware of those around you, try to be in the right lane when you want to exit, and what may be the most important unwritten rule for drivers in Spain: the car with the front bumper farthest forward has the absolute right of way.

Good luck!

#14420 - 02/28/04 06:34 PM Re: negotiating roundabouts in Spain
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Most roundabouts (or glorietas) inside cities have traffic lights, so simply follow the common rules. In those that don't have them, vehicles in the circle have the right of way, as Diana mention, so wait for them to enter. And that's all. smile

#14421 - 02/28/04 07:33 PM Re: negotiating roundabouts in Spain
eduardo Offline

Just to confirm, my experience has been that, unless there are traffic lights regulating the entry into the roundabout, the roundabouts will be marked with yield signs (big triangles) at the entrances, meaning that those entering to roundabout should yield to those cars already in the roundabout. While theoretically you should be in the lane furthest to the right if you are exiting right away, that is not often the case, as you'll see drivers in the inside lane barge towards the exit. So, yes, the key is to be cautious.

#14422 - 02/29/04 03:14 PM Re: negotiating roundabouts in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

As a regular driver here in Madrid, I can attest to the responses given here...

All is good advice and correct (those in the glorieta or rotunda have the right of way). Itīs good to be cautious, but that doesnīt mean slow. Move with the flow and speed of the traffic. If you drive slowly you will clog up the flow and quite possibly expose yourself to being unexpectedly cut-off.

As you enter the glorieta, head for the center lane immediately so that those entering the glorieta at the following entrance can incorporate smoothly. Avoid driving in the outer (right hand) lane until you plan to exit. Always always use your turn signal to indicate your moves and be sure to pay attention to (and donīt be intimidated by) the other drivers.

It is always helpful to know where you are going before you enter the glorieta. As you approach the glorieta, particularly one where there are more than 4 intersecting roads, there will be a large sign posted showing all of the exits. Know which one you want before entering so you are better prepared to exit. If you miss your exit, donīt panic. Itīs a circle. Simply regain your composure, move to an interior lane until you approach your desired exit, use your turn indicator and go for it! laugh

I agree with Diana. When I first started to drive here, I hated them...they reminded me of all the traffic circles in New Jersey. But now, I think that they are a great way to keep the flow of traffic moving.

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2600 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments