Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14088 - 09/07/03 04:37 AM Madrid Airport Cycle-friendly exit
zzafio Offline

Loc: Cheltenham, UK
When I rode Madrid to Malaga in 1999 ( www.bicispain.com ) I had a truly awful few hours riding away from Madrid Airport.

In a couple of weeks I'll be going to see la Vuelta cycle race stages around Madrid ... and am determined to find a quiet 'service road', or the like, out of the airport.

Does anyone know of such a quiet route?

I'll also be looking for hostal accommodation in the Majadahonda area, west of Madrid centre, if you've got any ideas ...
Gracias!

#14089 - 09/07/03 09:45 AM Re: Madrid Airport Cycle-friendly exit
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I imagine finding some kind of "service road" or non highway would be difficult from Barajas airport (on the east side of Madrid) to Majadahonda (on the west side of Madrid). Do you have to ride? You might want to consider taking a shuttle bus or renting a van to take your bicycle to Majadahonda so you don't have to deal with the city/highway traffic.

Maybe some of the madrileños have some idea how to make this trip? Hope so. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14090 - 09/07/03 05:02 PM Re: Madrid Airport Cycle-friendly exit
zzafio Offline

Loc: Cheltenham, UK
We've probably all noticed how the airport is often on the 'wrong' side of any chosen city!

However, once a cyclist is on a normal road - as opposed to a motorway or autovia - it is usually quite safe and efficient to simply pedal to the destination.

It seems to me that if I can get out of the immediate area of the airport, I should be able to cycle north to Alcobendas, and then west through el Pardo area to Majadahonda. This route looks quite good (and I have ridden part of it before)- IF I can get out of the airport on a decent road!

For years I was forced to use quite unpleasant main roads out of Malaga airport - until I found an extremely simple and quick exit out to a small road. I soon intend to find the Barajas equivalent! If anyone can help, please let me know.
Gracias!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments