Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13993 - 07/09/03 10:56 AM Iberia Airlines travel hint
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Here's a little tip for anyone traveling to/from Spain on Iberia. My flight back to the states was very crowded, and on the way to Madrid my seat was right by the bathrooms. I explained this to the girl checking me in, handed her my Iberia Plus frequent flier card, and she graciously upgraded me to business class free of charge. Talk about living the good life for 9 hours! Iberia can put on the charm when you are not in tourist class!!! It never hurts to ask. It seemed like most of the people in bus class had been upgraded also. The early bird gets the worm

#13994 - 07/12/03 05:08 AM Re: Iberia Airlines travel hint
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I'm curious about how you were dressed. I once had an upgrade without asking when I had a suit on. I've asked when casually dressed and virtually been thrown out of the airport !

Iberia is a strange airline I think. It has some excellent planes but seem to want to maintain a stuffy aloof air while on-board which surpasses even BA, and generally their customer service is about the worst I've experienced, although I am always a short haul flyer. However delays and cancellations are common place and they just don't care when it happens.

Any similar experiences or, indeed, contradictions ?

#13995 - 07/13/03 01:26 PM Re: Iberia Airlines travel hint
zorro37 Offline

Loc: England
Hi Folks, I flew business class to Mexico city last February.I flew Manchester (UK) to Madrid staying one night then Madrid -Mexico. Coming back I changed my flight four(!!) times with a side trip Madrid -Malaga. Iberia offices both in Madrid & Mexico were very helpful I'm a deaf person and a young receptionist on the Iberia desk insisted on phoning for my hotel bus, phoning difficult for me, but also taking my luggage out to meet bus. The flight was luxury. If you are talking aloof you are not even talking about Brit Airways you really need a long haul flight on Air France (and I have a French girlfriend!!) My only moan on that particular journey is the business clas lounge in Mexico is the American Airways VIP lounge that Iberia uses not a patch on the bus, lounges in Manchester or Madrid.

#13996 - 07/21/03 08:35 AM Re: Iberia Airlines travel hint
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Sorry it took me so long to respond. As soon as I got back from Spain my husband's family had a reunion in Rochester, NY and I just got back from that. I was dressed...business casual I would say. Slacks, plain shirt, jacket. My cousin is a flight attendant for United and she has told me whenever I fly to dress nicely in case of an upgrade. You also MUST do that if you fly using a buddy-pass.

And as for the customer service issue, I am usually either so excited about going to Spain, or so exhausted when leaving, that I haven't really noticed any problems. The cattle-call to board the plane in Madrid was interesting. We are so used to forming orderly lines in the US. That is something to get used to.

#13997 - 07/21/03 01:30 PM Re: Iberia Airlines travel hint
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
I flew from Madrid to Ny once and my gf told the booking agent I needed space. She gave me first class. I had on track pants and an Adidas hoody. Iberia Airlines is good but FICKLE.

Miguel

#13998 - 07/24/03 09:52 AM Re: Iberia Airlines travel hint
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I'm not sure an airline can be good and fickle. can it ? confused

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2269 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments