Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13749 - 04/17/03 11:46 AM summer car rental deals??
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Hi. We have our plane tickets and are all set. Except, I'm still searching for a rental car deal out of the Madrid airport. I've tried the usual, Kemwel, AutoEurope etc. When I check their website it quotes over $700 for a midsize car for my 28 day stay. We have 2 adults and 2 kids + luggage. I also tried the new place: pepecar.com But they only have the Mercedes Clase A car.....not sure we'll fit, anyone know where I can find trunk measurements online?? Also, we'd have to take the metro into downtown to pick it up - no airport ofc. Getting there isn't so bad, but I'm not a big fan of driving in and out of the city, I'm ok on M40 though!

Where does everyone here look for car deals? laugh

K. Sanchez

#13750 - 04/26/03 07:51 PM Re: summer car rental deals??
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
We just got back from 11 days in Spain and I rented a car from www.carjet.com

Their rates were excellent and the service was good. They are connected in some way with Atesa and the car actually came from National.

You can pick up and drop off at the airport. I actually picked up at the Plaza Espana and dropped off at the airport and there was no additional charge.

I will definitely rent from them again. Go to their web-site and you can get a quote on line.

Enjoy Spain.

#13751 - 04/27/03 12:58 AM Re: summer car rental deals??
Marian5 Offline

Loc: NYC
Did you have trouble getting onto the pepecar.com website?

#13752 - 04/27/03 01:00 AM Re: summer car rental deals??
Marian5 Offline

Loc: NYC
Sorry about the incomplete thought...I'm just having difficulty getting on the pepecar.com website. Did you try www.rentacar.worldwide.com? They give you immediate quotes and have heard good things about them.

#13753 - 05/05/03 04:03 PM Re: summer car rental deals??
mli Offline

as balanceok advised you www.carjet.com i can do as well. Rates are excellent and there are no hidden cost. very clear communication, no hidden text. I will take it again next time.

#13754 - 05/05/03 05:13 PM Re: summer car rental deals??
SalaChic Offline

But doesn't Carjet charge for FULL insurance? all I want is the minimum as my credit card will cover the rest....I can't seem to find a good deal this year - seems they are charging as much for the ins as they are for rental!!!

#13755 - 05/05/03 09:05 PM Re: summer car rental deals??
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
You should call your credit card company again, and find out what insurance your card provides. Levels of coverage vary and some do not provide coverage outside your home country. In some cases, a credit card company will cover collision after a high deductible and many do have a maximum. Also, ask if there are any other benefits provided for a traveler.

What do I purchase when renting a car in Spain, everything. I do not want to spend my vacation time calling credit card companies and my insurance company to resolve an insurance issue. Meanwhile, the rental car company will place a debit on your credit card to cover any damages. Try reserving a room or renting another car after either reached your maximum credit limit, or the credit card company security unit places a hold on the card.

Also, I read the fine print on the coverage offered because they are all not the same. The following coverage is available to you at the rental car counter:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). Sometimes called a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), this coverage relieves you of financial responsibility if your rental car is damaged or stolen. The CDW may be void, however, if you cause an accident by speeding, driving on unpaved roads or driving while intoxicated. In Spain, I discovered some companies do not cover broken glass and tires or any damage caused by theft or vandalism.

Liability Insurance. This provides excess liability coverage of up to $1 million for the time you rent a car. Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of liability insurance. But not enough to cover damages in a big accident.

Personal Accident Insurance. This provides coverage to you and your passengers for medical/ambulance bills. You may want to consider this coverage if you do not have adequate medical insurance. Sure, Spain has socialized medical care, but the coverage may pay for your ambulance trip home.

Personal Effects Coverage. This provides coverage for the theft of personal items in your car. In Spain, not all companies cover all personal items, and there is a maximum.

Also, inspect the car before you drive off. If you notice any damage inform the attendant before you leave the lot.

The cost of this coverage varies among companies, and should make your shopping more interesting. I rented my last car from http://www.rentacar-worldwide.com/ and I purchased full coverage.

#13756 - 05/05/03 09:23 PM Re: summer car rental deals??
SalaChic Offline

Thank you for some very well thought out advice. We have definately put some thought into this, as have you. We have a platinum credit card and the ins coverage is there, problem is, we can't seem to find a rental car company that won't charge us for something we're already covered for. This is odd. We've been spending extended time in Spain every year for about 18 years - we've got family, we've got a house, we've got everything there - but we don't keep a car. Seems that's next on my list if they can't seem to rent me one for less than $600- 800 for 25 days. That's outrageous. Last year I paid +/- $450 ----why so much difference this year? With the way the travel industry has gone, seems to me they'd be chomping at the bit for business.

#13757 - 05/06/03 09:10 AM Re: summer car rental deals??
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
You quote the price increase in dollars. The exchange rate could be the simple answer to your question.

#13758 - 05/10/03 10:10 AM Re: summer car rental deals??
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Tomorrow's New York Times has an article with some rental deals in Europe. I just found some rates that are cheaper than the ones I have already reserved. (I think you must be registered with nytimes.com to access the article. It's free!)
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/11/travel/11prac.html?pagewanted=1&8td

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3028 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments