Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13556 - 03/01/03 10:31 PM Madrid: Bus from Airport to city center?
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Is there a bus from the airport to Plaza Colon?
would that be the best (least expensive) way to get to the city center, then take a cab to the hotel? I know the subway might be better, but it's too difficult for a woman alone with luggage.

#13557 - 03/01/03 11:12 PM Re: Madrid: Bus from Airport to city center?
Espe3 Offline

Yes there is a bus, its easy, comfortable and inexpensive. However, you do have to walk up some stairs with your suitcases (no escalators when you get to Colon).

As far as the metro- well, how many suitcases are you taking??!!??!!?! I can assure you that its not that bad- having done it myself and being a woman... it would def. be even cheaper than the bus option. As long as you're not in a hurry you should be fine on the metro. ( I did it with the large size Samsonite suitcase- that weighs a brickload by ITSELF before even putting anything into it! But it has wheels, so that helped alot) and a carry on that conveniently straps on to my suitcase... so you be the judge! If you have more luggage than that- even the Colon bus isn't going to be much easier.

#13558 - 03/02/03 12:35 AM Re: Madrid: Bus from Airport to city center?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Oz! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board! smile

Please see the curent thread, " Madrid: Aerocity from airport to hotel ", for another inexpensive, worry-free option.

According to Antonio (member here), few people use this bus from the airport to Plaza de Colón anymore. Apparently the station at Colón is almost empty with few services still active. And plus, still from there you'll have to get a taxi to your hotel. AeroCITY takes you to your hotel directly unless you're sharing the shuttle with other travelers. It's cheaper and more secure than a taxi and more direct than the bus.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#13559 - 03/02/03 08:22 AM Re: Madrid: Bus from Airport to city center?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Just as an 'aside:' There are luggage racks in the trains on Linea 8 that takes you from the airport to Mar de Cristal. I tossed my canvas convertible (to backpack) on the luggage rack and took a seat across from it. A Guardia came by looking in the windows of the Metro train and when he saw my bag, apparently unattended, he came in and asked whose bag it was. eek I told him it was mine and everything was OK. I guess he was looking out for ETA terrorists - MetroMadrid Linea 8 had just recently been opened at that time. rolleyes
BTW
I believe the 'YellowBus' will let you off at Avda. de America in case you want to take a Continental-Auto bus to Burgos or Bilbao or other points north. If you're going to the Avda de America Intercambiador, the YellowBus is a lot better than MetroMadrid which leaves you deep in the Bowels of the Earth. How deep is it? I swore I could hear people speaking Chinese down there. cool

#13560 - 03/02/03 12:53 PM Re: Madrid: Bus from Airport to city center?
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone.....I certainly have a choice! I only have one 21 x 14 x 7 expandable bag with wheels that ends up at about 24 lb. and a shoulder tote bag, guess I can drag those up a few (?) steps!! then again, Aerocity sounds very nice!

#13561 - 03/02/03 03:49 PM Re: Madrid: Bus from Airport to city center?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Oz

Those steps at Colon are nice ones - not busy, quite wide, shallow and not too many of them. You could then cross the very busy main road and catch the metro to the area where your hotel is.

I've done this and it's pretty easy and convenient.

However... I have to say that Aerocity is a brilliant alternative. It lets you relax and soak up some of the views of Madrid as you make your first journey into the centre. And at least you know you wont get lost or get arm strain cool

Jo

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1573 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments