Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13204 - 11/20/02 07:02 AM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, 40$ seems to be the standard rate FOR tourists.

Guys, it should never cost you more than 25 euros, believe me. Even if you get in a very bad traffic jam.

Anyway, Matador. What did you do with the drivers licence? Did you go to the police? Just curious.

#13205 - 11/20/02 05:26 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I was going to make a complaint at the desk at the airport, but now I am in sevilla. Someone told me that you can call the license board and make a complaint. I have the number in my wallet as I am writing this.

#13206 - 11/20/02 05:39 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Espe3 Offline

Next time also make a fuss about it (if your spanish is good enough) and let the driver know you're taking his number and what for and who knows, maybe you'll get him to regain his senses and give you the fair price! :p

#13207 - 11/21/02 12:09 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
In most bus/train stations and airports in Spain there are information desks / tourist offices. It's a good idea to go and ask them which is the best / cheapest way to go to your hotel / final destination. They can also tell you how much a taxi should charge you approximately.

In Madrid Baraja's airport, there are even leaflets with information on how to go from there to the city centre by bus/subway/taxi. They list all the supplements and the estimated price for common journeys. Prices are in normal traffic conditions and during the day. A taxi shouldn't be much more than that.

Anyway, if you think you are being ripped off, then start by asking the driver for an official receipt. Make sure that receipt has all the information on it (license number, name of the driver, origin/destination of the journey, price and date). Taxi drivers won't like it and I doubt they are willing to fully fill in such a receipt with his information. If he does it, you can also fill in a claim form available in the vehicle and send it to:

Oficina Municiapl del Taxi
Concejalía de Movilidad Urbana
Vallehermoso,1-2º
Madrid - 28015
91 5889632

If the driver doesn't have complain forms (it is compulsory to have them) or don't want to give it to you, you can also go to that office and fill in the complain there. But remember always to ask for the official receipt. This will be the only prove of the rip off.

#13208 - 12/03/02 02:12 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I am back now from my trip to Madrid from last week.

I decided to take the Aerocity shuttle in lieu of a taxi or the hotel shuttle. My flight was scheduled to arrive at 8:15 am, and I noticed that my reservation indicated that pick-up would be made at 9:00 am to give me time to get through customs and get my luggage. However, my flight came in earlier, and so I was at the bus stop waiting at 8:40 am. I saw an Aerocity bus at the bus stop too and was happy. However, the bus driver got into the bus and started to move away without me! So, I rushed up to the door and pounded on the window with my widdle fists trying to get in! The bus driver, appalled, gave me a card and told me to call the office.

So, I sat down and waited somewhat embarrassed about the widdle fist pounding on the wrong bus. I waited about 5 or so more minutes when a guy carrying an Aerocity notebook came up and, I guess, wanted to check out the situation. I gave him my email reservation, and he called the office looking for my bus. He seemed so full of angst about my bus not being there early, and I was content that someone knew where I was. At about 8:55 am, he said that the bus was 10 minutes away.

At 9:20 am, another Aerocity bus came, but it was not my bus. A few minutes later, another one came, and the Aerocity guy who called for me told me to get in. I got in, and I swear, it was the same driver from the widdle fist pounding incident!

Anyway, we drove, and it seemed like 10 minutes later, we pulled over to a bus stop across from the Atocha railway station. The driver told me to wait there. He got out and spoke at length to a guy standing at the bus stop. I figured that we had more passengers. However, the driver got back on the bus and started calling the office, I guess. He started whining and, I think, saying bad words, but no one from the office would respond. Suddenly! He pounded his widdle head on the dashboard and moaned and moaned!

After he banged his head for awhile, he got out his map. It turns out that he didn't know how to get to my hotel. I did, so I showed him, and we got there quickly with no further head pounding on the dashboard or pounding of widdle fists on the window.

The bus trip made me laugh and got me to the hotel so it all worked out.

I took the Hotel Carlos V shuttle back to the airport. It was 5 minutes early and got me to the airport in 20 minutes.

#13209 - 12/03/02 05:00 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I've had visitors to Madrid who don't speak Spanish and, sadly enough, that seems to bring out the avarice in our Madrid taxistas waiting at the airport. They were charged about 30 Euros for what should have been a 20 Euro ride, surchages included. My recommendation, even for people with luggage is to take the Metro. The station at the airport is modern (with elevators)and even has a customer service office. Just go to the ticket window and buy your "bono de diez" multi-ride ticket, and the ride in from the airport will cost you all of 50 cents. The #8 train has plenty of space for luggage. You can ride the train all the way to the last stop at Nuevos Ministerios and grab a taxi from there, where anywhere in town shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 Euros, or transfer to another Metro line to your final destination. On your way back, if you are flying on Iberia or Spanair or some of the other airlines represented, you can in fact do your check-in at Nuevos Ministerios. I've only done that with one friend who only had carry-on luggage and it worked fine. (I think most people don't want to risk checking their luggage though that's probably just a psychological barrier.) I have never found either Barajas or Nuevos Ministerios that crowded that I really had to think about pickpockets approaching, etc.

#13210 - 12/03/02 11:17 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Haha :p , that story reminded me of my own little fist pounding aerocity story. The morning my flight left out of Madrid, I had requested to be picked up at 7am. I went downstairs to wait at around 6:50 and was happy to see that the van was already there. However, as I approached the van, I didnt see anybody inside, so I peeked in the window. The driver had is seat leaned back and looked like he was sleeping. Unsure what to do since I was early, I just decided tap lightly on the window and see if he would let me go ahead and get into the van. However, when I did this, he did not move. Anyways, in short after about 3 minutes of uhh "fist pounding" on the window he finally woke up and let me in the van rolleyes . From there it was great. He got me to the airport in plenty time, made sure I knew where my flight was leaving out of, etc. I will use aerocity again next semester, as it was was very convenient worth the money! laugh

#13211 - 12/19/02 02:37 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
wilnogirl Offline

we also used Aerocity to and from the airport on our last trip....had reserved by email and it was all confirmed although you must pay the driver in cash...14 Euros for two people was our fare. Our flight was early into Madrid and the van was waiting as promised however the driver seemed unwilling to let us on and to depart. He didnt speak any English and our Spanish is elementary. Fortunately a gentleman with a clipboard was nearby and turned out to be an official from Aerocity...he did speak English and in due time, our driver unlocked the doors and let us and three other passenger on and then careened madly into the misty morning rush hour traffic. We made it to the Gran Via without incident (or accident) but he didnt know where our hostal was...and so there were many calls to the dispatcher and waving of notes and instructions on our part and finally we found the hostal hispano argentino. Hostals and hotels in Europe do not necessarily flaunt large neon billboard signs...in fact many have tiny small little signs that you must peer into doorways to find. Upon our return the van came promply on time and we were at the Airport with no problem. I can certainly recomment Aerocity and they are prompt and affordable but make sure you have your hostal address written down so your mispronounced Spanish doesnt confuse the driver. Adios.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments