Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13194 - 11/08/02 11:16 AM Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I was reading threads from 2000 and 2001 on this messageboard about how taxi drivers located at Barajas would sometimes rip off passengers when driving them to their hotels. Has the situation gotten better since the subject was discussed last year? Does anyone have any new tips on not getting ripped off?

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of how much it should cost to go from Barajas to the Hotel Carlos V near the Plaza de Callao? I looked up a website which I think is the official one. It had a page on taxi fares ( http://www.aena.es/madrid-barajas/en/docs/access/bytaxi.html ) which was a bit confusing. By assuming that the distance to be traveled is 15 kilometers, I figured out that with the airport supplement, the cost would be 17,5 Euros. However, I will be there on a Sunday morning. The site mentions a Festive Supplement of 0,81 Euros per kilometer. Is that in addition to or in lieu of the normal 0,63 Euros per kilometer rate? Does 30 Euros seem more likely for a taxi ride on Sunday?

I am trying to decide whether to take a taxi, take the hotel shuttle, take Aerocity , or take the Metro . I have taken the hotel shuttle on my trips in the past, but every time, I had to wait about an hour for it to arrive. I can't bear to wait as I am so excited about getting to my hotel so that I can start enjoying myself in Madrid!

Thanks!

#13195 - 11/09/02 01:24 AM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have only been to Spain once and we used Aerocity. I did not want to start the trip with a problem and I must say that they were a great solution for us!! smile Our plane arrived more than 2 hours late, yet Aerocity was waiting for us when we found their location. It cost 20€ for myself and two kids, 3€ more than the internet says, but the price and reservation was confirmed in advance by e-mail. There were no surprises!! The driver was pleasant even though my Spanish was dysfunctional, and we were delivered to the door of our hostel. We also used them to return to the airport. Aerocity is easy, dependable and efficient!! I am curious about the metro though and would love to hear a detailed how-to-do-it from an expert!! I am returning in February for trip number two!!

#13196 - 11/17/02 11:31 AM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Bill Offline

Loc: Clearwater,Fl
We arrived Madrid at 9:00 am at the height of the rush hour and took the next cab in the taxi line. It was our first trip to Madrid so we figured a taxi was the most trusted way of getting to our hotel near Plaza del Sol. Our decision was almost a good one except for the fact the cabbie did not know the whereabouts of Intur Palacio San Martin hotel. We learned to carry a note showing the name and address of where we wanted to go from that point on..and that worked great.
Our cost to the Intur Palacio, around the corner from the Carlos V, was 34 Euros including the supplement. The return trip from the Palacio to the airport ..same time of day but less than half the traffic was 26 Euros..
Knowing now how easy the Metro is to use I would would probably try the Aerocity service only for a change. Climbing the stairs at Metro switching stations could be physically demanding.

As far as saving goes.. what you pay to arrive at your hotel almost doesn't really matter because vacationing in Spain is so affordable you might pay more for this and less for that.. it all evens out.. (I think)

#13197 - 11/17/02 06:34 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
ToniG Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
My experience from Barajas to around Sol is average $25 per taxi. Time of day does make a difference, too. I have used taxis 3 trips (5x), but have heard such great things about AeroCity that I am going to use it next year. But the ripoffs are still out there!

#13198 - 11/17/02 08:17 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Espe3 Offline

I can't remember EXACTLY how much it was, but I think I paid something like $24 Euros from Alcorcon! So from Madrid center it should be cheaper than that.. but then again, I didn't travel on a weekend either!

The Metro. Well, you follow the signs in the airport to the Metro, buy a ticket like you would anywhere else for the Metro, and hop on! :p Then switch lines when you get to the brown line or #4, and take it to where you're going, or until you need to make another switch! I wouldn't recommend it for somebody traveling with lots of luggage or if it doesn't have wheels (but who doesn't have wheels on their luggage these days?!)I've only used the metro to go to and from the airport (with and without luggage) but I haven't tried booking my luggage from the Metro terminal in Nuevos Ministerios (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong!)to go to the airport. I don't trust it, and don't think I really will ever feel comfortable with that... maybe trying to do a documentary and following the luggage to the airport would help, but until then... And it sure beats having to find parking! laugh

Keep in mind though... if you're taking the metro, give yourself plenty of time, as there are some long hallways (yes, they have the moving walkways also) to go through to connect to the airport. I've tried running them, and well, I'm not THAT out of shape but JEEZ!

#13199 - 11/17/02 10:03 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Thanks Espe3!!

I travel with just a carry on so I am going to try the Metro when I return in February!! Time won't be a factor so it will be an interesting experience!! I still highly recommend Aerocity to anyone with much luggage. They are a bargain and very efficient!! smile

#13200 - 11/17/02 11:16 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Espe3 Offline

Anytime sel! smile And since I've heard so much about Aerocity, (I unfortunally DO travel with a lot of luggage.. gifts and stuff... but soon because I'll be MOVING laugh ) it seems to be a much better option than a cab. Especially because my apt. is not in the center of town. This is easier for my family too, since that way they won't have to take off work to get me smile Its a winning situation all around! laugh

#13201 - 11/19/02 12:42 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
I think you should check with your hotels (for those of you who will stay in a hotel), because sometimes they will have a shuttle from the airpot to the hotels at certain times during the day.

#13202 - 11/19/02 02:42 PM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I Stayed at the carlos v in 98, it is in a great location. This is my third time in spain(I am currently studying at the university of sevilla) we were in madrid before the program started(sept 8).The taxi driver drove me from the airport and he ripped me off 40€. I took down his license. This is a major problem in spain because not only do tourists get ripped off but spaniards as well. They even had a report on this topic on the television here in spain.They said the taxi drivers here are like the mafia.There is a train that runs from the airport to the area close to where you are staying my friend took it and it was only one euro.As far as the airport there are usually two girls at the information desk and usually they have good friends that are taxi drivers, ask them(i did this the second time i was in spain and though it was night time, I remember that it cost me 12-15 euros from the airport.Good luck!

#13203 - 11/20/02 06:47 AM Re: Madrid:Taxis from Barajas to Hotels
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
I had a nasty shock when I went to Madrid back in Oct. Taxi from Barajas to Plaza Mayor cost 40 euros! Needless to say, on the way back, I got the metro..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments