Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12776 - 06/13/02 07:06 PM Re: International drivers license
Espe3 Offline

I'm with Chica! Expat, sounds VERY fishy, guide books or no! Logic sounds to me like they would at least take you in to fill out a report. But, there are crooked people everywhere, so maybe you were targeted BECAUSE you were a tourist! :o Still sounds weird!

Chica, first time I've ever heard of having to have a translation. That's what the International license is for, its in several different languages! So I don't know about that one! I've heard from friends that getting your license over there is a real bear! Good luck! And let me know how you do! I'm going to have to do that too! :o I envy my cousins, when I was younger, they came to visit and my dad taught them to drive, and they eventually got their licenses here and were able to get them in Spain easily... but that was quite some time ago when it was easy to do (and CHEAP! That's why so many people were doing it!) But now because they think Americans only drive automatic... frown

Buena suerte! smile

P.S. I had a friend fail the pratical 6 (yes, 6!) times and all because he felt comfortable enough to use some common sense and judgement. If you have to take the road test, I suggest you go STRICTLY by the book! Which may be hard, especially having driven for years and having to go through it all over again!

#12777 - 06/14/02 12:18 AM Re: International drivers license
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi--
Here's some information from the web about driving in Spain! I'm not sure how authoritative they are, but they do say that fines are payable on the spot--so it's possible you weren't scammed, expat!

http://www.idealspain.com/Pages/Information/DrivingSpain.htm

http://www.spain-info.com/Living/driving.htm

http://www.europeguidebook.com/spain/docs/spain_tra_dri.cfm

#12778 - 06/14/02 09:41 AM Re: International drivers license
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
:o I found out the hard way - get your international license. Coming into Madrid after what seemed like hours of trying to get on the correct road and in the correct lane - i.e. going around in circles - I knowingly broke the law while coping (and making use of) a very handy round-about. And there was a guardia - I was completely wrong and well deserved the threatened ticket. The guardia and his partner were nice - or my tears worked? - all I got was a h*** of a lecture. They told me it was necessary to have an international license (which I didn't have)- car rentals say it isn't needed - however - the guardia say it is. For $10 bucks - get it - can't hurt and could save you a real hassle.

#12779 - 06/14/02 11:26 AM Re: International drivers license
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Thanks for the advice about an international license...I have never had one when driving in Spain (which I have done on several visits, for a total of about a month on the roads) but have never been in a situation where I needed it!! I would hate to be getting yelled at in Spanish (I only understand "nice" Spanish!) and not have the right paperwork with me. I had thought that the international license was just another way for AAA to get money from tourists!

#12780 - 06/14/02 02:42 PM Re: International drivers license
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow, puna, you really DO have firsthand experience with this. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't remember to get my AAA International Drivers License before going to Spain last Semana Santa and I drove all over Galicia. Thing is, I felt "exposed" and quite vulnerable. I wished I had had it and will certainly get it next time.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#12781 - 06/18/02 04:29 PM Re: International drivers license
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Espe -- after 17+ years of driving an automatic car in the states, old habits are tough to break! I have finally learned to comfortably drive stick shift..can even handle an uphill shift from standstill without a problem. Itīs the little things like driving with the left elbow on the window/door, letting the steering wheel spin back by itself after making a turn, etc.. that will make the practical more challenging.

What is the most difficult for me is the theoretical. Not for the theory in and of itself, but for the language. Believe me, I am pretty darned bilingual...but take those multiple choice questions, the intentionally tricky responses, the technical vocabulary and the USTED form, and, well...THATīs my challenge! If you want to practice ahead of time... go to todotest.com

On that website you will find official tests as well as the questionnaires presented in autoescuela. Itīs a great site and really helps you to get the feel for the written exam and the questions that they ask! wink

P.S. I know someone who failed the practical 14 times. eek

#12782 - 06/18/02 05:00 PM Re: International drivers license
Espe3 Offline

Wow! 16 times! :o I can't imagine! I hope the FINALLY got it?! Anyway, thanks for the heads up! I'll look into the website you listed!

I actually learned stick (crash course- i'll explain in a minute!) within a couple of hours during one of my visits... my friends and I went on a trip, had an extra car, but I was the only other one that could drive! :o But since I don't have to drive usually when I go, I'm a bit rusty. But I know the written is going to be killer! :o Oh well... smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2671 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments