Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12766 - 06/11/02 04:11 PM International drivers license
bascodean Offline

Loc: USA
We are leaving for a 19 day driving trip through Spain on 7/2 and have received conflicting information regarding an international drivers license. Do we need same?? Of course we have US drivers license and insurance etc as well as AMEX coverage.

#12767 - 06/11/02 04:36 PM Re: International drivers license
Espe3 Offline

Its debatible... it will all come down to if something happens (and I hope it doesn't) the officer who stops you or comes to help and what mood they're in. Considering that its EASY and CHEAP to get one, I'd recommend you go and get one just in case. Just go to the AAA office nearest you, and bring 2 passport photos with you (or they can take them for you, but they'll charge you an x-tra $10) and your current valid drivers license. They'll do it right there, its painless and won't take long (of course, depending on the office!- but it shouldn't take long!). Its good for a year and you'll have the necessary paperwork with you. Also, keep in mind that you'll still have to travel with your Am. license- they work together, just the International permit isn't enough (but again, depends on who stops you...) Good luck and drive safely!

#12768 - 06/11/02 05:48 PM Re: International drivers license
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Yes, you need the international driversī license.

The only way that you can get around it is if your USA license clearly states the validity of the dates (when you first got the license, and when it expires) and if you have a legalized translation into Spanish of the same.

Save yourself the hassle, spend the $10 and go to AAA. Itīs easy and can be done in a matter of minutes.

You donīt need your American license with you, but must have your passport with your international license. Remember, you canīt get it in Spain, you must apply for it outside the country in which you plan to use it.

#12769 - 06/11/02 08:45 PM Re: International drivers license
Espe3 Offline

Chica,
The international drivers license even says to have your valid drivers license with you! Some states' licenses aren't even really valid (long story- has to do with the different laws and rules that the particular state has, but nobody is going to know which states are and which aren't) they probably wouldn't ask to see the license, but again, why take the chance? Better to have all the proper documentation, then if you don't need it, even better, but you have it if you do!

I got all of my info from the AAA office (i've had to get the license a couple of times, its valid for one year) but there is a website that has some details on it also, its the expat website.

#12770 - 06/12/02 05:36 AM Re: International drivers license
jazzbo54 Offline

Loc: Bermuda
is there a web site, listing whats considered an international drivers license?

I have a Canadian & also Bermudian drivers license(which im told is considered international drivers license,(as used in USA accident 20 yrs ago & cops said was valid international drivers license)
Steel Groove Calypso Hits tapes
http://www.webcom.com/dsgarcia/home.html

#12771 - 06/12/02 08:56 AM Re: International drivers license
Espe3 Offline

I have no idea. Do you guys have a AAA in Bermuda? Maybe they'll be able to tell you if what you have is good or not. The license we're talking about is like a booklet. In it it has a listing of all the countries that recognize it, then a listing of the different kinds of licenses ( commercial, private,motorcycle etc.) and will state which one yours is. In the back it has your picture, some info about you, birthplace, name, date of birth and a bit else. Kind of like a passport but not nearly as fancy.

#12772 - 06/13/02 03:50 PM Re: International drivers license
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Espe -- You are absolutely right about the International Driversī license stating you need the American license. My bad.

However, I have been told here by a couple of places here in Spain (Guardia Civil, Jefatura de Trafico, etc) that the US license is not any good without the official legalized translation.

Right now I am in the process of studying for my driversī license here in Spain. What a royal hassle it is....could be a whole other thread!

#12773 - 06/13/02 03:52 PM Re: International drivers license
expat Offline

Loc: philadelphia
I got stopped by the Guardia Civil just outside Ubeda on the road to Granada. They did not ask for an International driving licence but took details of my American licence. Incidentally I was fined 150 euros on the spot for exceeding the speed limit. They claimed to have a photograph but never produced it and they let the car in front of me, doing the same speed, go. Much more important than an international driving licence is to carry enough cash to pay the fine. I was told that if I didn't have the cash they would keep the car and I could start walking!!.They don't take ceques or credit cards. The fine was after a 25% dicount because I was a tourist!!!

#12774 - 06/13/02 03:57 PM Re: International drivers license
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hmmmm....that sounds like a very fishy story to me Expat!

Cash only? On the spot? A photo that they wouldnīt/couldnīt produce? Not typical Guardia Civil action. Iīve been with my husband when he has been pulled over. None of that silliness. They gave him the ticket straight up which he had to pay at the local traffic office (I think in Madrid).

BTW where in Philly are you from?

#12775 - 06/13/02 04:05 PM Re: International drivers license
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I've heard that speeding tickets have to be paid on the spot too, Chica...I think in guide books. I wonder if that's how they deal with possible "flight risks" (people with no address or contact info)?

I just suggest this because we got a parking ticket once in Italy and didn't pay it (shhh...don't tell!). Eventually (like two years later) we got a letter sent to us through the rental agency, all in Italian, telling us to pay something like $16. All that trouble for a tiny amount (which we still did not pay, because the thing they sent us didn't have a return address!!!!). We're probably on some list of international parking ticket offenders, but oh, well!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2714 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments