Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12708 - 05/25/02 12:43 PM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Asterault -- I´m with you! The Valle de Los Caídos is definitely a place to visit, regardless of one´s political leanings. Not at all like a cementery, it boasts some amazing architectural structures, that yes, were unfortunately build with the blood, sweat and tears of many Spanish prisioners during the Franco dictatorship. It is a one of a kind monument comprised of a huge Basilica carved into the side of the mountain and crowned by an impossibly huge cross. El Valle de Los Caídos is located in the Sierra of Madrid...I see the huge cross everyday when I drive home from Madrid. Construction on this monument began in 1940 and was finished in 1959. Franco ordered the construction of this monument to bury the dead from the Spanish Civil war. (Taken from Cositur´s website)

Taravb -- Three cheers for you well thought out and argumented post. I was first taken to the Valley of the Fallen when I came to Spain on a highschool trip and the memories of the place and its significance have remained with me ever since.

Sel -- check out Cositur . Their webpage is in many languages including English and they have tours to El Escorial/Valle de los Caídos. Their corporate contact information is: C/ Marqués de Cubas, Nº 12 4º A
28014 Madrid (ESPAÑA), Tfno: 34 91.429.89.65, Fax: 34.91.429.89.41

Here is some more information on El Valle de Los Caídos

Tour Madrid also lists several tour options to El Escorial and Valle de Los Caídos. Their website is only in Spainsh.

Tour Madrid also has tour information on their website, and the option to read it in English.

Hope this information helps!

#12709 - 05/25/02 01:04 PM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I thought about renting a car, but it will only be my second day in Spain and I would rather have someone else get me there!! Besides, the Avis rate from Madrid is about 97 € for a one day rental with insurance. (I have rented a car for three of our weeks.) I think the buses and trains will be a fun adventure!! laugh laugh

It is only 8 kilometers, yet it it is hard to get there.

Thanks Madridman for that thread on El Valle De Los Caidos. I have tagged it for my kids to read. It reflects the emotions that I have heard from other Spaniards.

#12710 - 05/26/02 06:02 AM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
This issue has taken on a 'politically charged' dimension. eek Let's recall that the San Lorenzo Monastery is also named to commemorate a battle in which many Spanish people died (but which ended in victory el día de San Lorenzo). rolleyes

Asterault writes:
Quote:
Why would one boycott it? It's part of the history of Spain.
Modern Spain, that is.

Franco wanted to be interred in the Basilica of Santiago de Compostela with the Kings & Queens of Spain, but even his arch-conservative allies, the Catholic Bishops of Spain, wouldn't go for that. He commissioned the construction of a much more visible monument (and burial place) for himself: the Valle de los Caidos. eek

#12711 - 05/26/02 10:01 AM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
Espe3 Offline

The reason I asked if you were nuts to take a taxi there is because MM, you're right, its more like a 30-40 min trip(Remember traffic, and its not THAT close!). (MAYBE 15 min if you're taking the AVE! wink ) But also because you may or may not notice, that taxi drivers don't like to have to drive somewhere where they may not be able to pick up a fare on the way back. And if you call a taxi to come get you when you're ready to leave again, well, that's a trip out there without a fare, only to bring one back. They will turn you down (they're not really supposed to, but that doesn't stop them! wink ) So if you adjust your schedule... taking the bus will probably be the best way to go. I haven't been there since I was 6, but I still remember it, it left quite an impression! Good luck making your plans!

#12712 - 05/28/02 03:45 PM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
There is only 1 bus a day from San Lorenzo de El Escorial to Valle de Los Caidos. If the schedule doesn't fit with your trip, then I woudl go for an organised sightseeing tour.

Pullmantur, Trapsatur or Juliatours have morning tours to both the Monastery and the Valley of the Fallen for 41 euros including the trip, and visits, all of the commented by a professional tourist guide.

Check out more information on El Escorial

or download this PDF file

#12713 - 05/28/02 09:12 PM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Thanks Antonio! smile

The links you provides won't download, but I have used another web site for information: www.banesto.es/banesto/escorial/e9700010.htm

That is where I first learned about the taxi option. I am still curious if one can use a taxi. It appears that I will have to wait and ask that question when I am in San Lorenzo. It will be interesting to see if my limited Spanish will be able to communicate. I will ask first at the tourist office and see if they know the answer.

The tours are a possibility although they are a bit pricey for the three of us. Another link indicated that they were good, but seemed a bit rushed. Does anyone have any recent experience with these tours?

I also have not been able to find a current bus or train schedule. Any suggestions?

#12714 - 05/28/02 11:01 PM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
For what it's worth, we spent three wonderful weeks in Guadarrama last summer. It's the same exit as El Escorial/Valle de los Caidos. Depending on where in Madrid you start from, I have to believe that it would be at least 30-40 minutes by cab, likely more.

We did visit El Escorial, but not El Valle. We saw the "cross" each time we came back from Madrid. On the day before we left my (then) 8 year old granddaughter complained bitterly that we hadn't gone to see it. (of course the 5 year old complained bitterly that we didn't take her to a Corrida -- she got hooked watching on television when we ate at several rolleyes bars rolleyes )

#12715 - 05/29/02 08:27 AM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
nevado Offline

I know you have expressed that you weren't interested in renting a car, but if you use the corte ingles rentals with AVIS, you can get a car for two days (using the tarifa fin de semana- weekend rate) for under 60 Euros (just over $50). That would give you the flexibility you need. It really is a pretty drive from Madrid and very straightforward. Just an option (a cheap one at that). Here's the link if you're interested: http://viajes.elcorteingles.es/alquilercoches/Paginas/alquilerdecoches.htm

#12716 - 05/29/02 03:23 PM Re: El Escorial by taxi?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I've checked both links and they do work (at least for me) confused

I understand that the tours can be pricey but remember that they also include tickets for both places.

Anyway, I guess you can arrange a special deal with a taxi driver in San Lorenzo so that he takes you there and pick you up at a given time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2700 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments