Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12314 - 03/06/02 04:39 PM Car Rentals in Spain
juan Offline

Everyone tells me ATESA is the best bet for renting a car in Spain but it looks to me like renting here ahead of time through National gets me a better deal. I'll need an automatic midsize for 11 days and Atesa is quoting about 389 Euros. Any suggestions? Thanks

#12315 - 03/06/02 08:45 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Hey Juan:

I rented a car when I was in Spain in December. ATESA is, I think, owned by National anyway, so their rates should be close if not the same. I went through autoeurope b/c it was the best deal I could find. If you can live with a manual they are much cheaper. Also, make sure you know exactly what kind of collision, theft, etc. protection you are getting. I felt much more secure with the comprehensive coverage, although it added considerably to the cost. Good luck,

Cooter

#12316 - 03/06/02 09:31 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
ATESA supplies cars to Avis, National, and several other car rental agencies. I found the best rate with http://www.carjet.com for our trip last summer. It was ATESA supplied car too.

#12317 - 03/07/02 12:30 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOW! Thanks for all the wonderful information, everyone! I too am considering renting a car from Madrid to Santiago de Compostela for 5 days during Semana Santa. I'll look into those companies/links above for sure. You people are incredibly helpful. Thank you very very much.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#12318 - 03/07/02 01:30 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
And the car we booked through Aerocity was collected from Atesa too.

Jo

#12319 - 03/08/02 02:19 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I spend numerous hours trying to find the best deal on a car rental for my trip to Andalusia last December/January. The best deal I could find was with www.alamo.com but I picked up the car at the ATESA counter in the Santa Justa train station in Sevilla. So, even Alamo seems to subcontract with ATESA.

#12320 - 03/11/02 10:54 AM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
We rented through AutoEurope and picked it up from Avis in Madrid and dropped it off at Avis in Santander just before Christmas. Avis Madrid was on Gran Via and car was in garage about 1.5 blocks away. Given the one way streets and the like, we ended up carrying all our baggage (we were loaded down with Christmas presents)to the car. They do not bring the car around for you as they generally would in the US. Something to keep in mind.

Also, make sure any insurance is done from US. In Spain the cost would have been much higher.

Finally, service in Madrid was very poor, with the one employee spending approx 1/2 hour trying to communicate with the customer ahead of us, a Brazilian lady with very limited Spanish. Very lackadaisical about the growing line, although there were other employees in the back not doing much. Dropping off in Santander was also in the city center, but service was very good.

#12321 - 07/20/02 11:32 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
My experience this summer was similar to Cornelio's. I had gotten quotes online from rentalcarinspain, Avis, Hertz, Atesa, National, Carjet, Aerocity, and Alamo. Even with a few discounts with the bigger companies, the best deal was with Alamo. I was quoted 234 € for 9 days with a cheap economy car (3 door manual w/ air, Citroen Saxo or similar), but actually got a 4 door manual, diesel Peugeot 206, with air and cd player (to the delight of my teenagers), for 218 €. What a deal. It was very stingy on fuel, and drove like a dream, even on the steep dirt roads climbing up hills in the back country. (But then I’m a longtime Peugeot fan. I always wanted a 205). I picked up the car at Bilbao’s Sondika airport at the National/Atesa counter.

#12322 - 07/25/02 12:39 PM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've probably posted this info in a dozen other fora, but it's appropriate here, too:

I've always rented from the US for pickup in Spain via Avis and have gotten great prices and accomodating service. The last rental through Avis (cheaper than the other "sucursal" of the competitor in the Santiago train station) was an on-the-spot transaction, but I got a good deal and was able to drop a one-way with no penalty.

Speaking the language seems to help, but always being nice gives them a reason to give you a "special deal" that "just became available"...

Happy renting!! And Renfe can a take a powder for all I care! mad

#12323 - 07/26/02 09:42 AM Re: Car Rentals in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Another vote with Cali for Avis. I've rented from Avis both prior to departure and directly once in Madrid - prices, services, etc. are the best I've found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1631 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments