MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12180 - 02/14/02 10:00 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Some of my friends take something like Tylenol PM to help them fall asleep on the plane. Most books tell you not to drink caffeine and several say you should avoid alcohol. I avoid both, try to sleep, and drink a lot of water. I also tried that no-jet-lag stuff MM wrote about and must say that I felt pretty good when I arrived in Europe. I have to admit that on the two flights I used it on, the plane was fairly empty and I actually got to sleep in a somewhat prone position instead of upright and I suspect that had a lot to do with things. Generally when I arrive in Europe I have to be in charge of 15 or so teenagers (30 all told, but I have a partner!) who don't know what they're doing. This also means I have to be alert enough to decide who rooms with whom, what all of us will do for lunch, and how to deal with young folks who are feeling pretty grumpy. I can't sleep when I get there because a bright eyed tour guide is ready to show us the sights. Usually we're lucky if we get a chance to spritz the pits before we hit the town! If I thought putting a light bulb behind my knee would help me deal with jet lag I'd super glue the blessed thing in place!

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: la maestra ]

#12181 - 02/15/02 12:15 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have to agree with taravb. I say go with what your body is telling you. If you need to sleep, go ahead and do it. You will enjoy your trip much more. I absolutely cannot sleep sitting up, so unless a plane is fairly empty, I can count on that and general excitement to keep me from sleeping the whole trip. I always take a nap when I get somewhere, and I have never had a problem with jet lag. I also enjoy my trip much more, because I am refreshed. IcePick's advice is good too, being mentally prepared. You will be really tired, so being prepared and having visualized everything ahead of time will help ease potential frustration.

I would say to stay away from alcohol on such a long flight, unless you take a big bottle of water with you on the plane. I get incredibly dehydrated every time I fly. I might have one glass of wine with dinner (rarely though) and maybe a soda or coffee, but I always have a really big bottle of water with me. It really helps.

#12182 - 02/15/02 04:42 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've posted this advice before, and as odd and stupid as it sounds, it works:

I've done the "leave at night, arrive in the morning" MSP-MAD and also the JFK-MAD as well as LAX-MAD, so if you're in the US, this works (at least for me) wink

When you get to Spain, RESIST the urge to sleep. Sure, get into your hotel and shower up, but DO NOT sleep. Go out, get some air, see the city (eat lightly) and start living the same schedule that Spaniards live. If you want to echar una siesta at mediodía (which I don't recommend), make it short, and set an alarm.

When it comes time for "bed"...then CRASH. By morning, you'll be ready to go, and you haven't lost any "three-day acclimation period".

#12183 - 02/16/02 02:14 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Here's what works for me for those overnight flights:
Usually I'm so beat from working up to the last minute, rushing to get ready, etc. that I can sleep on the plane, so:
1. we buy some special food like at a gourmet grocery to treat ourselvs, take it onto the plane and eat as soon as we get on the plane, and skip the airplane meal (which usually isn't worth much anyway). Then we're ready to settle down to sleep almost as soon as the plane takes off--this is usually around 9 - 10 pm if leaving from the east coast. If you wait until they get done serving dinner, movie, etc, etc, half the flight will be over and there's no chance to sleep.
2. To sleep on the plane, you must have earplugs. eyecovers and loose comfortable clothes also help. A mild tranquilizer like Serax can also do wonders to promote sleep. (No coffee or caffeine drinks!)
3. An hour max nap when you get to the hotel (which is usually around noon).
4. Then eat a good lunch, treat yourself--this has an amazing reviving effect for us. Some of the depression and tiredness you feel on arrival is also due to being mixed up on eating schedules (blood sugar out of whack) and also dehydration.
5. Stay up until normal or late European bedtime--plan activites that keep you going all day to keep awake, but nothing that takes too much concentration or heavy thinking. Enjoy!!

#12184 - 03/17/02 01:56 AM Re: Jetlag Advice
Monabsn Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Though I don't recommend it for everyone, two valiums and a beer worked well for me. I discovered my vet once prescribed valium for my cat to "relax" her for the long trip from Tel Aviv to Chicago. I didn't give them to the cat but found them a complimentary accompaniment to a beer on the flight. laugh I slept well and was ready to go upon arrival.

#12185 - 03/17/02 04:27 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Just a note on Valium...a doctor once prescribed it for me because I get really nervous on planes, and I used it for 2 round-trips. I went back to get a refill (they won't prescribe much at once, for fear of addiction), and a new doctor was shocked that I had been given Valium for travel. He said that it stays active in your system for a long time (well past the duration of even an international flight) and can impair your concentration, reflexes, and driving abilities. He gave me Xanax instead, which I have taken off and on for flying since.

So before any of you take your cat's pills, check in with your doctor about how long the effects will last!

#12186 - 03/18/02 04:02 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Um, you may have a stronger constitution than most, but I really would not suggest combining alcohol and valium(!!!!!). enough of the two can stop your heart, as they are both depressents, and you can end up having a Marilyn Monroe. frown

#12187 - 03/19/02 02:17 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Melatonin is a mild, benign aid to help you fall asleep. It's an "herbal supplement". From what I know, Melatonin is a substance that's secreted by the body at your normal bedtime. It's not a depressent, tranquilizer, anti-anxiety drug (i.e. Xanax)or "downer"

I usually take 2-3 after dinner on transatlantic flights and I fall asleep very pleasantly about 30 minutes later. I slept all the way from London to San Francisco once (in coach) after taking Melatonin. I always have my inflatable neck pillow with me too!

Good stuff!

#12188 - 03/21/02 12:14 AM Re: Jetlag Advice
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
Some really good ideas about jet lag are on the www.Magellans.com a travel store web site. It has some great travel tips about many other things as well. There is a whole page on jet lag. Sleep on the plane is the answer!!! Do whatever it takes except cat tranquilizers. Find a hotel that you can check in before 3:00 pm and take a very very short nap also works.
sabalagirl

#12189 - 03/21/02 06:51 AM Re: Jetlag Advice
Roe Offline

Loc: california
My mom used to get really nervious on flights and they perscribed her tranquilizers. She was a still a little groggy after the flight. That might not make it the best for jetlag.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2040 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments