Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12170 - 01/29/02 05:36 PM Jetlag Advice
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I have searched out posts on jetlag but couldn't really see anything that directly relates to my issue.
My travel agent just called to inform me that Air Canada have revised the flight schedule that I was to be part of in early May. I am now to depart from Edmonton at 8:20am (MST) and arrive in Madrid at 7:30am (11:30pm Edmonton time). The original schedule had me departing Edmonton at 12:30pm and arriving in Madrid at 10:45am (2:45am Edmonton time). I didn't mind that as I think I would have been able to grab at least 2 whole hours of sleep on that flight. Now, with the revised schedule, there won't be any sleep at all. AND I will probably only get three to four hours of sleep the night prior to departure as I need to get up at 5:00am and will probably be excited, etc.. So my body will be arriving in Madrid, when the city is just awakening, at the time it usually goes to bed (11:30pm MST). I also expect to be tired from the flight and from lack of sleep the night before. Should I just hit the bed of my hotel for three or four hours then get up to wander and hit the hay early in the evening again?
I know there are more serious issues in life to contend with but I would hate to think that this crazy schedule will have a negative effect on my body for the first week of a twelve day trip.
Thanks!
Dargus

#12171 - 01/29/02 06:08 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, Dargus--
I can't sleep on planes (too nervous about flying) and I have always ignored the advice I often get about not sleeping upon arrival in Europe (I generally have left the US around dinner time and arrived in Spain in the morning--yours is a longer trip, of course).

Many people have told me to stay up, not to nap, in order to get onto Spain-time. I think that might work in some country where everyone eats dinner at 6:30 and is in bed at 10, but in Spain, you've got to make it all the way to 11 or 12 at the earliest. Plus you have to try to stay awake through siesta time, when there's nothing much to do anyway.

So...I always get to my hotel, check in, take a shower, and go to bed. I sleep as long as I want (thank goodness for those room-darkening shades) and wake up ready for a caña and tapas run in the late afternoon (I get anywhere from 5 to 8 hours of sleep this way--it basically replaces the night lost on the plane).

That night, I have no trouble making it through dinner, and go to bed after dinner (midnight or so), because even though the time is off kilter, it's tiring to travel and I generally fall right to sleep.

Then I sleep until no later than 9 a.m. (I set an alarm, just in case), and wake up pretty well adjusted to Spain time. I do lose that first day of sightseeing, but I feel GREAT the next day and have even had a good meal the night before.

That's my advice...for what it's worth!
Tara smile

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#12172 - 01/29/02 06:19 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I agree with taravb, even a short flight can leave you feeling tired. I also take a couple of hours sleep and then retire earlier than usual, by next morning I'm raring to go.
Enjoy your visit. Sue.

#12173 - 01/29/02 06:32 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT idea for a topic!
I've always read/heard that one should NOT drink any alcohol on flights, nor carbonated beverages, but to drink lots and LOTS of water and eat sensibly. They also suggest walking around as much as possible, doing stretching exercises, bending at the waiste, squats, neck stretches. Hmmm.. You know, I don't think I know ANYONE do does these things (including me - except I do try to do the stretching exercises, but I'm usually the ONLY one doing these things so people get a "free show"!).

I'd suggest TRYING to sleep 2-4 hours on the plane if at all possible -- this is IMPOSSIBLE for me because I am always TOO excited to be returning to Spain. I can sometimes get 20-45 minutes of solid light sleep and no more than 1 hour on transatlantic flights. Usually it's just the typical "few minutes here and a few minutes there" throughout the flight.

This last trip, my Mom forced me to take her inflatable collar which one wears around their neck to help you sleep comfortably and it REALLY does work! I was MUCH more comfortable and my neck and shoulders didn't hurt at the end of the flight.

Upon arrival, a little groggy/sleepy and excited all at the same time, I suggest having a light meal and then take an afternoon siesta for 2 or 3 hours. I did this last Christmastime and it worked wonders. Upon wakening, I went out on the town with my ladyfriend and we were out 'til just after midnight and I felt fine the whole time. Of course, I slept like a log when I went (IMMEDIATELY) to sleep for a good 9 hours too.

7 weeks and counting!!, Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#12174 - 01/29/02 08:01 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Those inflatable neck pillows are EXCELLENT! I have to tell one of my silliest Spain stories, though, about my trip there in 1990.

My friend Laura had one of those travel pillows, and I wanted one too. We looked around in Toledo, with no luck, and headed to El Corte Ingles in Sevilla, I think, to find one.

I asked and asked for a travel "alfombra," leaving baffled sales clerks in my wake. It was hilarious...two girls, wandering through the sporting goods section or wherever, asking everyone where you buy a "travel carpet that you wear around your neck!"

Ultimately, we did discover the right word ("almohada")...but first some kind salesperson listened for long enough to realize that we were clueless, and he helped us find one. I still have it, and blush every time I pull it out.

#12175 - 01/29/02 09:22 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahahahaa!! Great story! Hahahahahaa!!! That's tooooo funny!!

I bought one (a travel PILLOW, not a travel CARPET, that is) for my ladyfriend the last time she was here visiting and now her 78 year old mother uses it when she dozes/sleeps on the couch while sitting up and watching TV.

As for jet lag, some say NOT to sleep the first day (daytime) upon arriving in Europe and others say sleep a lot. Not sure which is best. I'd bet that it IS BETTER NOT to drink alcohol on the flight, but how can you pass up those little bottles of FRENCH red wine (FREE!) with your dinner??

Now THIS is a kick. Out of curiosity, I checked out www.JetLag.com to see if there was anything "useful" and found this: (the following is NOT a MadridMan endorsement nor does MadridMan have any kind of financial agreement with the seller of said product below nor does MadridMan believe or disbelieve in the statements made nor does MadridMan....... blah blah blah... ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!)
Quote:
The patented Jet Lag™ Watch gradually transitions you from the time in your departure city's time zone to the correct local time in your destination's time zone...while you fly! This allows you to acclimate slowly to the new time zone over the course of several hours, and that eliminates Time Zone Shock, the feeling that the new local time somehow isn't real.

Simply enter the time at the destination, the length of your flight, press the travel button, and watch the Jet Lag™ Watch speed up (if you're flying east) or slow down (if you're flying west) to ease you into the new time zone. When you arrive at your destination, the Jet Lag™ Watch automatically resumes operation at the normal rate, and you are fully psychologically adapted to the new time zone.

At www.JetLag.net you get the "Jet Lag Eliminator™"; a two-piece, spinnable disk where you set your departure and arrival city. It also comes with instructions about methods of massage at particular stages of the flight. Hey dargus! Maybe this is JUST what you need! wink

At www.JetLag.org you get the "No-Jet-Lag®". These are tablet which "ease your pain and suffering". hehehe.. Active Ingredients
The five homeopathic remedies listed below are the active ingredients in No-Jet-Lag. Their Active Ingredients include:
Quote:
Arnica, extracted from Arnica Montana (leopard's bane).
In No-Jet-Lag Arnica is used to alleviate injuries, strains, tension, over-exertion, mental strain and shock, sleeplessness and restlessness when over-tired.
But the site itself does explain jetlag as well as techniques for reducing jet lag HERE . I suppose this might be useful.

SO that's that! Anyone else? You might do a search on www.Google.com to find more. But you're right, it's ALWAYS good to get "the word of the people". smile Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#12176 - 01/29/02 10:55 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Maybe I'm weird, but this is what I did. I went from Honolulu to Los Angeles to Chicago to Madrid to Sevilla, landed in Sevilla a few hours late because we were supposed to go from LA to New York, but because of stormy weather we had to change to Chicago. I got to my host family's apartment at around 16.00, ate a meal, showered and since our luggage had gotten lost, I had nothing to unpack, and the only thing that I really wanted to do was go to SLEEP, so I slept from about 17.00 until 9.00 the next morning. Woke up, ate breakfast, went to orientation at the school and never looked back. I slept on the planes for what felt like hours, but it probably wasn't that and the flights seemed to take days, so I have no idea how long I really did sleep. On the way back, I did Sevilla-Madrid-New York-Los Angeles, spent the night in LA, then went from there to Honolulu to my little homewtown on another island. I didn't sleep at all on any of the flights and arrived home as good as new. For some reason, it was easier going west. Or maybe it was because I didn't sleep. Or both. Usually if I sleep on a plane, it makes me more tired for some reason. Then again, like I said, maybe I'm just weird! wink A friend of mine said that when you arrive, you should put a lamp under your knee confused or something like that, it's supposed to help, I have never tried it. Has anyone heard anything remotely similar to that?

#12177 - 01/29/02 11:40 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
IcePick Offline

Loc: Seattle Wa
THis is one great topic. Madrid Man I thought you looked familiar. SIT DOWN you are in the way of the movie!!!!

I think a lot of excellent suggestions were made. I really think one should take into consideration when you arrive and when the party starts and adjust your sleep on the plane appropiately.

I think it helps to have your first day planned and visualize the whole process of getting off the plane,luggage, train or taxi, checking in etc. Otherwise you get off the plane completely out of your mind and start the trip off disoriented.

Also this is when you are most vulnerable to a pickpocket. You get off the plane groggy and disoriented.

Also I like getting the currency I want before I leave that way I don't have to look like "EL Touristo" with the big A on my forhead. Also I deal with a local bank that gives me a decent exchange rate and I am not spending my trip shopping rates.

These to me are the initial downsides of jetlag.

I think also if you have a few drinks on the plane and have a few people with you(for overall guidance and protection) ;-) --- the jet lag doesn't hit so much because of the alcohol and the excitement. You actually can sleep better and not be disturbed by the nuances of the hotel, time and a new bed.

THis is not for everyone but it works for me sometimes.

#12178 - 01/30/02 01:38 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
This is how I get over my jet lag: Whatever the local time is, I convince myself to be awake or asleep accordingly.

I always drink the free wine on the plane. I can't sleep on the plane either, so I just read.

After I arrive, I hit the cafe con leche (or cappucino, or local coffee). I am always so hyper and excited to be there, I just enjoy the giddiness and caffeine for the rest of the day. If I took a nap, it would throw off my sleep that night. But that's just me. (It's probably not healthy to drink 4 cafe con leches in 8 hours but that's what I do.) I'm usually pretty slap-happy the first day, but I think it just adds to the adventure.

If I was travelling from Hawaii, however, that's twice as far and I'm not sure I could do it.

I also had a midnight shift job in college and I kind of trained myself to be awake at odd hours.

#12179 - 02/14/02 08:21 PM Re: Jetlag Advice
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I bought my plane ticket on Friday but the route is much different than stated in the OP. I now fly to Madrid via Frankfurt and arrive at 4:30pm, about 8:30am Edmonton time. So I will be up for over 24 hours and admit that I dread the jetlag that is inevitable but will try to sleep on the plane as much as my body allows (which usually is zero). I also intend to have a hot shower as soon as I get to the hotel and power snooze for 3 hours as there's no way I will be able to try to stay awake after being awake for so long. By the time I get up, Madrid should be humming with life and I will try to stay up with el gatos until my body says "back to bed"! This, of course, will probably end up being very different in reality as it's still 10 weeks away and we all know that when travelling, the fantasy of the trip is usually nowhere near the reality of it.
Thanks for the advice!

Dargus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2390 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments