Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12164 - 01/25/02 01:57 AM One Way Ticket: Spain->US
miquel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know approximately how much the fares for one way tickets from Madrid -> L.A. Or if someone can suggest site(s) for finding fares for travel in this direction.

I am considering purchasing a ticket that the fare is based on completing travel within 30 days. However, I plan on staying longer. So I am considering not using the return leg and let the ticket go unused. The airline advised that if the unused ticket is based on a restricted fare then ticket might be no longer valind. They also advised that purchasing a one-way ticket from Spain might be more than a roundtrip ticket. In order to avoid spending $2000 for a one-way return ticket can anyone recommend a site for one-way tickets originating in Spain.

Thanks,
Mike

#12165 - 01/25/02 02:39 AM Re: One Way Ticket: Spain->US
nevado Offline

I found a good fare where you'd have to leave the return portion go unused as well. Here are the prices (I didn't know when you were planning on returning but here'w what I found). I used www.economytravel.com I've used their service and I think it's very reliable. Also check the other threads, there is lot's of information about flights.

MAD-LAX-MAD July dep. = $628
June dep. = $538
May dep. = $435

Those don't seem to bad- if you are looking for something cheaper, I think you'll be able to find a less expensive one-way once you get there (as long as it's not in Aug).

If you decide to wait until you are there, you can try the following travel agents/websites that quote (usually) one-way fares.

Viajes Zepelin - a discount travel agent that has deals (also sells student card for only $5 or so)
Callao has a student travel
Tive (student)

El Corte Ingles Travel Agent or online booking:

http://comun.elcorteingles.es/cda/viajes_eci/0,3561,PD155,14d5.html

I just checked the website and it's really good news:
May-June departure = 405 Euros (tax included)
July-Aug departure = 462 " "
Sep+ departure = 405 ""
All flights with Lufthansa. I used El Corte Ingles (online service) and had the tickets delivered to my door in Spain. Reliable.

This website is like a priceline .com of Spain. My friend got a round trip to Italy for under $150 so it does work and they deliver the tickets by messanger. www.viajarbajoprecio.es

Have fun!

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: nevado ]

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: nevado ]

#12166 - 01/25/02 12:16 PM Re: One Way Ticket: Spain->US
sdp Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Also try www.flights.com . They're based in Germany and often have the lowest prices for round-trips...don't know about one-ways. I've booked with Economy Travel (see above post) and flights.com and had good luck with both.

Air Europa sometimes has amazing fares to and from New York (like $100 each way). You have to check their special offers frequently. They also fly to Los Angeles, but I haven't see the super-deals to LA like I have NY.

A website I just discovered is http://www.etntelephone.com/discoun2.htm . Did I find it here? I can't remember...if it wasn't here, it was the super-helpful folks on the cheap flights discussion board at www.eurotrip.com . Cruise over there and someone will likely be able to help you.

Good luck!!

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#12167 - 01/25/02 05:05 PM Re: One Way Ticket: Spain->US
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Mike,

When do you plan to fly? Without the dates it is virtually impossible (actually, it IS impossible) to give you an accurate quote on a fare. Sometimes a week or two difference can change the price by several hundred dollars. If you will give me further details, I will get you a low fare.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#12168 - 01/26/02 05:36 AM Re: One Way Ticket: Spain->US
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Mike,

Everyone is offering you all sorts of wonderful advice and weblinks that I almost hate to pipe in...but here I go.

I flew to Spain from the US last April and only wanted a one-way ticket since I knew I would be here for at least a few years. I found out that a one way ticket would have cost me over $900 whereas the round trip ticket (that I ended up purchasing) was $400. Needless to say, throwing away the "return trip" was well worth the $500 savings. I still have the "return trip" ticket, I suppose for sentimental reasons although it is no longer valid.

Good luck on your search!

P.S. If you do the roundtrip tix purchase with the intent on throwing the return trip away, donīt mention it to the airlines or travel agency. Just pick an indiscriminate date (like a week later) for the "return trip". Nowadays with the heightened security, such an innocuous activity could cause undue alarm with the airlines. Donīt ask donīt tell. But you didnīt hear that from me! wink

#12169 - 01/26/02 08:32 PM Re: One Way Ticket: Spain->US
miquel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, the link to www.economytravel has been very helpful. In fact this is probably one of the best travel sites I have encountered.
I actually found a 90 day ticket for about $600 which gives me the flexibility needed.
Thanks again.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments