Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12089 - 01/11/02 10:57 AM Hotwire.com: New online alternative
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
This may not be new, but it is to me. Check out www.hotwire.com to find priceline-like fares with the fare visible BEFORE you have to buy. here are some examples as I've been trying to get my plane tickets squared away for the Santiago trip later this spring:

LAX-MAD through the carrier has been quoted no cheaper than $960 RT (Delta, United and Northwest...)

Hotwire had the same trips priced at $673 and $502 depending on whether I wanted to leave on Saturday or Friday. Give it a look! They don't fly on any off-brand carriers like NuttyJet or LooseBolt Airlines either...you can check their client list on the site: http://www.hotwire.com/travel-information/partners/international-airline-partners.jsp ?v=1

Happy trails!

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#12090 - 01/12/02 10:59 AM Re: Hotwire.com: New online alternative
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
laugh laugh laugh Mucho Gracias CaliBasco. That's a website that I've book-marked big time!!!

#12091 - 01/12/02 06:12 PM Re: Hotwire.com: New online alternative
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Calibasco,
I just signed on and found a great fare. But they wont tell me the airline until I purchase the ticket.
Quote:
The airline name and flight times will be shown only after you purchase. All purchases are final and cannot be changed under any circumstances.
Did you find this to be true when you looked?
Booklady frown

#12092 - 01/12/02 06:36 PM Re: Hotwire.com: New online alternative
ub&aj Offline

Is it just me? I can cruise all over the hotwire site but when I enter my password I get a Microsoft error message. Weird !! confused

#12093 - 01/12/02 11:02 PM Re: Hotwire.com: New online alternative
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Hotwire is a great site, but personal experience says they offer better deals on domestic tickets - friends flew Miami - San Francisco (SFO) RT $245.

This last November when checking for flights from SFO to MAD (December 20 - 28th) we were being quoted over $1,000 RT each.

Hotwire can be great, but also keep in mind their partner ORBITZ ...

You can pick your airline and time - we flew from San Francisco to Barajas (via New York) - on Delta - for $425 RT each.

That was a steal!

#12094 - 01/13/02 03:53 PM Re: Hotwire.com: New online alternative
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
Both hotwire.com and Orbitz.com can provide some very good fares which can change almost overnight (do to cheap seats selling out or fare wars) so it pays to check regularly!
The disadvantages with hotwire are: airline unknown before purchase is made, no refunds or changes allowed, and non eligibility for FF miles.

#12095 - 01/13/02 05:27 PM Re: Hotwire.com: New online alternative
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
All drawbacks to Hotwire, but the prices can be SO low that one forgets about their FF account.

That $425 Delta ticket from SFO to MAD (from Hotwire's partner Orbitz) was pure luck - had been in six-hundreds, dropped down, back up, and then the day after purchasing we saw the same itinerary going for $1100 each!

JDR - very important point made: Check often, and be ready to purchase when the deal is seen; one may not see it again.

As for Orbitz, they can't guarantee FF miles as it all depends on the ticket code. However, our Delta flight was eligible!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2749 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments