Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12070 - 01/10/02 09:06 PM Madrid Metro and Buses
ub&aj Offline

Can you transfer between buses and metro or for that matter bus to bus? Coming from the airport, taking a bus would get me to the plaza colon. to get to the hostal I need to take another bus.
thanks
wink eek

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#12071 - 01/10/02 09:26 PM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
If you take a bus to Plaza de Colón it will cost 2 € (more or less), then if you have to take another one, you must take your luggage and take the other bus (normally not prepared to transport suitcases) and pay another euro (more or less).

There is a ticket called metrobus with which you can travel indistinctly by bus or metro 10 times (each time you enter metro is consider one of these times, no matter how many transfers you do) at a reduced price. However, the line to the airport doesn't accept this kind of ticket.

Fernando

#12072 - 01/11/02 04:21 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You can also take the metro directly from the Airport to downtown Madrid. The ride is approximately 45 minutes. If you are operating on a tight budget it´s well worth the cost.

The metrobus ticket (worth 10 trips) is good for the metro line from the airport. I met some friends flying in from Philadelphia, picked them up at the airport via the metro and went back to Puerto de Sol on the metro. Relatively seamless and very easy (as long as you aren´t traveling with tons of suitcases)

If you have a PDA (Palm, Handspring, etc) you can download FREE metro software from the internet that has the entire metro, cercanías and train system maps for Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia as well as many of other cities around the world!

#12073 - 01/11/02 05:32 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Fernando writes:
Quote:
There is a ticket called metrobus with which you can travel indistinctly by bus or metro 10 times (each time you enter metro is consider one of these times, no matter how many transfers you do) at a reduced price. However, the line to the airport doesn't accept this kind of ticket.

This needs a little clarification: You say the line to the airport doesn't accept this kind of ticket. That's the YellowBus line, right? I don't think you were referring to the Metro line - I have transferred at Mar de Crystal from linea-4 to linea-8 (?? the airport line) several times on an ordinary Metro ticket. rolleyes

Chica:
You make it sound so easy! For me, it has always been difficult (even with a rolling suitcase) making 3 or 4 transfers to get to Chamartin station by Metro from aeropuerto de Barajas - even getting to the Metro from the International arrivals hall is a hike. eek

#12074 - 01/11/02 07:27 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Yes, I meant the bus line to the airport wink Sorry, I realize I didn't express myself enough good.

Regards.

Fernando

#12075 - 01/11/02 08:32 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Chica, Eddie, Fernando

So ..... when one comes out of International arrivals, can you give me a step by step guide to getting the Metro from the airport to city centre? Not too worried about the last bit, just the first bit.

The extent of my knowledge of the outside of the airport was gained from getting into an Aerocity minibus, and getting out of one on the way back.

Next time, we want to take the Metro because we will have little luggage and there will be just the two of us.

So, just a guide as to where to actually go (and distances etc) when leaving the airport to catch the Metro would be great.

Thanks.

Jo

#12076 - 01/11/02 10:03 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Jo-Anne (and others), as was discussed in another thread recently, the metro line (#8) from the airport has been closed for renovations or other "works". Not sure WHY it's closed seeing as how it's only about 1 year old, but it is closed for the time being. I couldn't find any news/info about expected opening dates on their www.MetroMadrid.es website either.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#12077 - 01/11/02 10:51 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
The #8 line has been closed due to a grievance filed by the Unión de Taxistas Madrileños, claiming the lower-cost alternative to the city center is gouging their profits and forcing many taxistas to take pay cuts. You can read the whole story at www.utm.es/huelga .

#12078 - 01/11/02 11:03 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
v diaz Offline

Loc: madrid
Line 8 was close in order to put and test the new trains that will operate in this line when the big station of Nuevos Ministerios open before this summer.

The line will re-open next 14 of january. Meanwhile there are bus services for free.
check the metro de madrid web for detailed info.

#12079 - 01/11/02 11:35 AM Re: Madrid Metro and Buses
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Jo-Anne:
Coming from the UK you may not arrive at Terminal#1 (old international arrivals hall)-I think we arrived at Terminal#2 when I came on EasyJet from London (Luton) last June. MetroMadrid airport Metro station is between Terminals 2 & 3. When you get to that area, look for the Metro signs. rolleyes

I don't know anything about when linea-8 will be back in service to Barajas airport or why it has been shut down. confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1629 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments