Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12001 - 12/27/01 07:17 PM Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Perhaps you're the adventurous type, perhaps you just like to go along for the ride. What I want to know is, what has been your "wildest ride" either by bus, train or car in Spain? Hopefully you can inspire (or warn) someone about how you got to where you went, and what they may expecet...

You can interpret "wild" as you wish, but here are my two additions:

Wildest public transport: Has to be the bus ride from San Sebastián to Pamplona. There's a reputable-enough-looking bus company, but the drivers are definitely on loan from Six Flags Magic Mountain eek. The switchbacks in the Basque hills make this an interesting ride...add a little fog and rain and you've got a recipe for fun!!!

Wildest private transport: [TIE] eekThe 13 km. drive on one lane from Cangas de Onís to Covadonga (buses just honk as they come around the corner, which I'm sure is the last sound people hear before St. Peter's harp); eekThe drive from Roncesvalles (Orréaga) to Valcarlos (Luzaide) in Navarra. The Ibañeta pass is constantly fogged in, and the one-lane road up the hillside in Valcarlos is an adventure...especially at midnight...in the fog...when you're not really sure where your lodging had moved to ["I could've sworn it was right here..."].

Let's hear your latest and greatest!!!

CaliBasco [Who always carries a flashlight which he uses to beat wild lobos over the head with while wandering aimlessly through the Basque countryside...] smile

#12002 - 12/27/01 08:01 PM Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I really should scroll down through topics...My apologies to JJP who has already started this topic elsewhere, a fact that until just now completely eluded me. Well you know what they say about great minds! [I have no idea...]

I should also lay off the ham and fruitcake!

#12003 - 12/27/01 08:59 PM Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Cristobal Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA USA
Obviously, you have never rode a city bus in San Salvador, El Salvador. Picture a 30 year old school bus, painted various colors, flying down streets at break-neck speed. The driver seemed to enjoy watching us gringos hold on for dear life. Bus accidents are a common occurance. I have been on the bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona and would agree.

#12004 - 12/31/01 05:47 AM Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Cali,

No apologies needed! Great minds do think alike! My post sat empty for a while frown , although I now see a "reply" there laugh .

Maybe we can get MM to merge us...

#12005 - 12/31/01 06:10 AM Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Just returned yesterday from a wonderful-first in Madrid. I have some more "colorful" details to my driving in Andalucia last August, but here's a great one for this thread.

My friend and I decided the last day of our stay in Spain should include a trip to (the touristy but o' so historic) Toledo.

Take the train! People say the bus station in Toledo is better located but I always prefer the rails.

Here's the catch: Arrive Attocha, careful to avoid the Ave ticketing! No ticket service here. We found the correct ticket agent (do you feel I'm writing an adventure here...you'd be correct). You get these metro-like stubs plus a receipt.

Ahhh...what to do. One says to "formalize" but the info booth wasn't familiar with this verbiage. OK, we pass through the machines, find the track, and wait.

Take the EXPRESS train to Toledo! It was our luck. The other "C" trains leaving looked the same but in "subway/metro" seating style...ouch, plastic seats for over an hour. The Express "C" trains have more lux airline/bus-like seating!

A crowd gathered, waited...and the train arrived. You could tell we were not seasoned regional train riders. We entered with a plan...it failed....within minutes the seats filled. Ahhhh...we ended up standing for the entire hour ride south to Toledo.

This is probabably not usual, but if you find yourself traveling from Attocha (not the origin of the train!!!) to Toledo during the holidays or at peak times here is a word to the wise: BE AGGRESSIVE WITH THE SEATS. If not you might find yourself like us. We managed, but the 80 year-old Madrileños rioted with the conductor that RENFE shouldn't sell more tickets than they have seats. Well, I guess capacity doesn't always rule economics! :p

Still, take the train. Especially if you're American. By our standards these trains travel fast (!), maybe 80-90 mph? No AVE, but great regional service. You're greated with a wonderful station in Toledo, and the taxi is only 480P to the plaza in the historic area on the city!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2594 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments