Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11969 - 12/13/01 07:01 PM Alitalia from USA->Spain??
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone have any pros and/or cons with respect to flying on Alitalia from U.S. to Spain? I see some great deals for early next year (best prices) with that airline and have never flown with them. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks! edr

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11970 - 12/14/01 05:14 AM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You may find yourself flying Continental even if you book with AlItalia. At Newark airport, I have seen aircraft with AlItalia insignia on one side and Continental on the other. It seems to me to be more than just a 'code share.' rolleyes

Continental has direct service to Madrid, Lisbon, and several Italy destinations from its Newark 'hub.' I have flown Continental TransAtlantic at least a dozen times and find their service to be adequate. cool

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11971 - 12/19/01 03:23 PM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
If you do choose Continental airlines, be sure to sign up for the frequent flyer program. Also, check their website often and they offer all kinds of good deals for frequent flyers. Not only on ticket prices but double mileage which adds up very quickly on transatlantic flights. Their frequent flyer program has earned many awards and has been voted as the best for several years.

No, I don't work for them - just fly alot and try to take advantage of good deals whenever I can. wink

#11972 - 12/20/01 01:13 AM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
My understanding is that Alitalia has a somewhat negative reputation for service much like Iberia. Unless you plan to spend some days vacationing in Italy, I would not recommend flying from the USA over Spain to Italy to change planes to fly back to Spain!
Some years ago I flew thru Rome's airport & remember the mass confusion, indifferent employees, & disorder due to an impromptu strike!
In my opinion, unless the ticket is at least $100 cheaper than the competition, it's not worth it!

(Suggest you look at KLM to Madrid from the west coast in light of the bonus miles offered to Continental One Pass members)

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: JDR ]

#11973 - 12/20/01 01:07 PM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hi! I flew Alitalia for the first time over Thanksgiving. (Chicago - Milan) I thought it was just fine. You wanted pros & cons:

pros: Italian food on board, not great but much better than some airline meals I've had,
The seats seemed bigger than British Airways and Delta. They showed a hillarious movie on the way home in subtitles about an Italian family living on an Ostrich farm. They did NOT lose my luggage (That happens to me a lot!) AND...Donny Osmond was on my flight. (in first class, but I chatted with him a little after the flight - did not let on I knew it was him)

cons: You don't get your own tv screen like British Airways or American. A few of the staff took smoke breaks in the bathroom on the sly, then got in trouble for it, but I thought that was more funny than anything. Hardly noticeable. And they showed an irritating 15 minute movie about the new euro twice during each flight in English...then Italian. The "Alitalia magazine" in the magazine pouch didn't do much for me, either.

So those are all the pros and cons I can think of. If it is cheaper, that is the biggest pro of all. good luck!

#11974 - 12/20/01 03:03 PM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
Cristobal Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA USA
Lufthansa has a 2 for 1 deal for Europe. I called them last night. From San francisco to Madrid via Frunkfurt is a total of $856 for 2 people. 656 airfare + 100 taxes + 100 taxes on the free ticket. $428 person is a great deal. Travel needs to be completed by March 24. If flying solo, I reccomend KLM. SFO to Madrid is $509 including taxes, plus double frequent flyer miles. That's 26,000 miles. laugh "Las Fallas" here I come......

#11975 - 12/21/01 05:30 AM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
nevado Offline

Chicagoan, I'd say seeing Donny Osmond on the flight should go into the con category! smile Do any of you get Star World? They've been running commercials for Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat nonstop for two weeks! Yikes, two weeks of Donny singing is enough to keep me from watching tv.

#11976 - 12/21/01 10:35 AM Re: Alitalia from USA->Spain??
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Haha! I was going to say that it might be a "con",to some people, sepending on your taste in bad 1970s shows. This is the second time I've met a "b grade" celebrity over Thanksgiving. Last year I met Sammy Sosa (the cubs baseball player) in Madrid near the Prado. My boyfriend and I had our picture taken with him. He was super nice.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2698 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments