Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#11947 - 07/17/02 12:38 PM Re: Driving stories in España
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
laugh laugh laugh Wahoo Chica!!!
Loved the multitude of restrictions placed on the big green L for the first year! smile

#11948 - 07/17/02 06:05 PM Re: Driving stories in España
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Miguelito, you forgot the dancing Elvis!! laugh

#11949 - 07/17/02 06:40 PM Re: Driving stories in España
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Chica

Miguelito IS the dancing Elvis!

Jo

#11950 - 07/18/02 02:22 AM Re: Driving stories in España
Miguelito Offline

ja ja, I can dance even holding the wheel although I prefer clapping, specially if I'm listening flamenco, although sometimes it's difficult to manage at the same time. laugh
I notice I forgot the Elvis while I was going back home, I saw a car with all the aditives, even a rabit tail!!.
What other things have you seen in a car?
Of course the sticks with your name at the back in one side and your wife or girlfriend at the other side and the one with the 'no me toques el pito que me irrito' ha ha...
Something else?

#11951 - 07/18/02 03:42 AM Re: Driving stories in España
Chica Offline
Executive Member

ooohhhh!!! this is THE MIGUELITO!!! My goodness how could I forget?? Yes, Miguelito, I have seen that rather compromising picture of you... hmmm maybe I´ll get a copy of it from Jo, have it made into a sticker and put it on the back of my car (tapando la jo**do "L" porsupuesto jejejee).

Don´t forget the black bull stickers, the stickers from Penelope Discoteca and of course the EU and Spanish flag stickers! laugh

#11952 - 07/18/02 11:39 AM Re: Driving stories in España
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I think a nice sticker like in the States that says either "Don't mess with Texas" or "They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead fingers" would be right smashing!

I mess with Texas very little... as little as possible.

Went to the autoescuela - what a ripoff! However I got them to agree that driving in NYC and Philadelphia puts Spain to shame. Too bad the DGT won't feel the same way.

#11953 - 07/20/02 02:38 PM Re: Driving stories in España
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Asterault --

I believe the laws in Spain are changing and that you can take the driving exams without the backing of an autoescuela. I think if you look on DGT´s website they will have a full explanation. The site is also available in English (DGT = Dirección General del Tráfico).

I took the cheapest package (since I already knew how to drive) which was 3 months of theory class and 4 driving classes. I think the cost was about 350 Euros. Will double check that for you.

In the meantime check out Todo Test . You can take all the practice tests you want!

Good luck! smile

#11954 - 06/13/06 02:14 PM Re: Driving stories in España
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My significant other and I drove to Toledo last Sunday afternoon, leaving Madrid at about 6pm and arriving at the Puerta de Bisagra at about 7pm. The drive to Toledo is easy (as soon as you get out of Madrid and all its construction projects) and we encountered little traffic going out of Madrid.

I had my 2004 Toledo Tourism Office Map of the city with me and ready to guide us to our hotel. We arrived in and entered the Puerta de Bisagra, the main gate into the city from Madrid. We drove slowly, cars lining up behind us as we looked left, right, ahead, admiring the buildings and looking for directional signs to the old center.

I HAD THE BRIGHT IDEA to "BISECT" the city of Toledo to our hotel. The map showed what appeared to be major city streets leading us there. WRONG! Well, in part it was wrong.

Entering the Puerta de Bisagra, then went left following the outer edge inside the walled city. We easily found the Plaza de Zocodóver on our right. "Okay, take the next left. Hmmm.. WHERE? That's a one-way street in the wrong direction!" So we go up past the Alcázar (FYI: closed indefinitely for renovation) which was on our left. "Take a right at the end of the Alcázar." "What? That tiny, steep street? Let's find another way." Rounding the Alcázar in a counter-clockwise fashion we found the main road at the wall. "We want to go to the right along the river. Ummm.. That's a one-way in the wrong way. Great." So we go BACK around the Alcázar, Plaza de Zocodóver, and back up to past the Alcázar on our left to that TINY street on the right. "Do you feel brave? It'll be alright. I'm sure of it. We have a nice, little CITROEN A3. "Right Turn, Clyde." So we go down this somewhat narrow, one-way, downhill street. "Hmmm.. This street is getting NARROWER! QUICK! PULL IN THE SIDE MIRRORS!" Down, down, slowly, slower, SLOWER, SLOWER, just made it past that drainage pipe. "Okay. I'm getting out to see if this street goes somewhere." I walk downhill to the first "intersection" (term used VERY loosely), turn right, downhill another street, downhill another and another and another until FINALLY I reach a widening and some cars parked on the sides next to a government building. Whew! So UP UP UP UP (why did I wear these sandals today - cobblestones - oh my aching feet) UP UP I go again to the car, I'm panting, she's still waiting there patiently but nervously. "Okay honey. It'll be okay. Just go slow. help Okay. Well. There. Now we've done it. There went the back left wheel well. Just a paint scrape. Nothing crumpled. What's done is done. Now a couple inches to the RIGHT. Now down, now left, now right. Okay, it went on like that for a good 30 minutes total until we got to "Bajada del Barco" - a "major street" rolleyes which we had no trouble negotiating - I get in the car now. We reach the end of the "Bajada", arriving at a "T", the Carreras de San Sebastián - the main street skirting the walls of the city. WHEW! We turn right and follow it around the edge, it becomes Calle de los Descalzos, we pass the "famed" Hostal Descalzos", then we see our hotel ( Hotel Pintor El Greco ) but we can't turn there - prohibited - so we go UP the hill, left, down the other side and there we are! Parked on the street just beside the hotel (Parking meters but free after, what, 6pm?? - until 10am).

Leaving the hotel the next morning was SO easy. We just went down to the same main road which almost hugs the city walls, all the way to the, this time, one-lane Puerta del Cambrón, now we're outside the walls, took a right on the Paseo de Recaredo, then around the Glorieta de la Reconquista, then back to the Puera de Bisagra then out of the city and on our way back to Madrid.

Driving IN Toledo was a true adventure. My recommendation to you all would be - DON'T DO IT. That is to say, NEVER take a small, one-way street between old buildings. You may just get stuck if you have a larger than SMALL car and you might get lost. DEFINITELY don't try this at night. Luckily we were there on a Sunday evening so there was very very little traffic and even fewer pedestrians. It's best to find the nearest/first parking garage you see or park next to the Alcáar in that parking garage and then walk to your hotel if you can. OTHERWISE, ask your hotel (if you're spending the night) for specific directions.

We felt VERY fortunate to have survived our drive through OLD Toledo without any major damage or cardiac arrests. wink xfingers

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11955 - 06/13/06 05:00 PM Re: Driving stories in España
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
MadridMan

Funny story. You sound like one of the drivers that "try" to hit me when I visited Toledo.

Bill

#11956 - 06/14/06 01:02 PM Re: Driving stories in España
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Can anyone tell me the significance of one tail light brighter than the other on some cars? I have seen it many times on major highways in Spain, and it drives me crazy. Plus, if it is something important, I may need to figure out how to do the same with my rental car next time I am there!

Spark

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2941 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments