Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#11937 - 07/04/02 06:46 AM Re: Driving stories in España
jazzbo54 Offline

Loc: Bermuda
if you already have a canadian drivers license are you required to take a Spanish drivers´ license test?
Steel Groove Calypso Hits tapes
http://www.webcom.com/dsgarcia/home.html

#11938 - 07/04/02 10:46 AM Re: Driving stories in España
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
This is a great thread. When I first got here (Spain) in May, the ride from the airport in Bilbao to my host family's apartment was quite an "interesting" experience... I must say though that even with all the crazy stuff I have seen tried on these roads, not once have a seen a bad accident..ok, between 2 cars..HOWEVER, since I have been here I HAVE had had the joy of experiencing a spanish bus accident eek ...one weekend I was taking a bus from Bilbao- Barcelona, and a semi cut us off so close that the bus driveer had to slam on his breaks, we spun and ended up facing the opposite direction we started, and the back end of the bus collided with the semi...guess where I was sitting frown Como se dice "WHIPLASH"!!! Good way to ruin what should have been a fun weekend in Barcelona- oh well I'll just add it to my list of "cultural" experiences- hehe. :p

#11939 - 07/04/02 02:01 PM Re: Driving stories in España
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Once drove from Bilbao to Lekeitio... Another great drive and incredibly scenic. At one point the highway patrol sped by and announced we all pull over. Instead of being written a speeding ticket we ended up having front row seats for a long distance cycling race. After the whoooosh of 200+ cyclists passed us we resumed our trip to the coast.

Anchovy: The road between Ronda and Malaga must have been quite an experience before it was improved. I pulled out my map of Spain and realized our drive from Ronda back to Malaga went directly south to the coast - then drove through Marbella on the coastal autovía. A crazy mountain road, but in great condition – smooth and (((was this the road in the last Bond movie???))).

#11940 - 07/04/02 02:55 PM Re: Driving stories in España
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Forget the question regarding the Bond chase scene - remembered it was Mission Impossible 2. I suppose that Porsche/Audi chase could have been filmed anywhere...even though they had just left Sevilla.

#11941 - 07/05/02 10:59 PM Re: Driving stories in España
jmvaco Offline

Loc: arizona
Drivng is really fun once you learn that the Spainish have a system, aggresive is certainly the norm but they are very preditable,They get mad at you when you hesitate when you have the right of way or when you take their right of way But mostly they very courteous compared to American drivers If finding the hotel turns out to be easy It may take an hour or more before arriving at the hotel One way streets going the wrong way are always fun, parking in front the hotel is not always possible so loading and unloading is always difficult Driving in Spain is part of the charm

#11942 - 07/11/02 09:25 AM Re: Driving stories in España
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Jazzbo54 technically, yes you would need to take the driver's test within 6 months of receiving your residence permit (tourists can just use their local license) but I know alot of Americans who have lived here for years and just keep "forgetting" wink to get a Spanish license. If you have a problem just speak English and pretend you are a tourist.

I just moved here and drove my new car for the first time last night. I'm from NYC and haven't driven in years and it's been even longer since I drove a stick. But I managed to survive and not hit anyone or thing!! I'm so happy.

#11943 - 07/12/02 05:09 AM Re: Driving stories in España
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
For fans of old Spanish roads, the old Malaga-Granada road (via Colmenar)through the Montes de Malaga is a classic hairpin drive (including 360 degree bends - not kidding!) with narrow lanes and sheer unprotected drops. It's been made somewhat obsolete by the new motorways, but up there in the Montes are some great "ventas" (roadside inns) with amazing views all the way down to the coast.

Anyway, at Easter this year a group of us drove up there for lunch. After a long boozy meal (is there any other kind?) we set off back down towards Malaga. The driver was as sozzled as anyone, but then, to relax himself (!) he skinned up an enormous joint which he proceeded to smoke all the way back down, taking those bends with one hand on the wheel while the other handled the spliff. By the time we got down I'd sobered up!

#11944 - 07/13/02 11:13 AM Re: Driving stories in España
j3p Offline

I hope you won't be there in August...

#11945 - 07/17/02 05:26 AM Re: Driving stories in España
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Yipeee!! I passed the "on the road" part of my drivers´ license exam as well "a la primera" as my husband says. laugh I felt sorry for the girl who tested with me...she didn´t last 2 minutes in the driver´s seat before the examiner told her to pull over (after she clipped the sideview mirror of a parked car and made an illegal left hand turn eek ) and told me to get behind the wheel...

Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks until they send me the official pink license the size of 3 3x5 cards with my pic stapled to it... along with the infamous green placard with the letter "L" (for newly licensed). With my green badge of courage, I will be allowed to drive a maximum of 80 kph (50mph) for the next year on the highways as everyone else zips by at 120 - 160kpm (75-100mph). Yippeee can´t wait. frown

Jazzbo, I don´t know about Canadian licenses, but U.S. licenses are not valid here in Spain if you have your residency. You must obtain your Spanish drivers´ license within 6 months after receiving residency here, which means the lovely experience of going to autoescuela with the bright eyed, eager beaver 18 year olds who have decided cars are better than mopeds. Prior to having your residency (and the 6 months following) you are permitted to drive here with the International drivers´ license.

While MAD for Madrid (sorry I missed you the other night MAD!) mentioned that there are folks here driving without the Spanish equivalent and pull the convenient "tourist" ploy if stopped, just be aware that if caught, there is a hefty fine (I think 300 euros). How can one get caught playing the tourist ploy? If they ask to see your passport, it will have been stamped with the visa required for residency. Just an FYI. I went the safe route since my stay here is leaning more towards the permanent side. wink

Good luck with the process!

#11946 - 07/17/02 09:31 AM Re: Driving stories in España
Miguelito Offline

he he, you only need the coin of San Cristobal or the San Pancracio figure on the front of your car desk and a stick saying 'papá no corras' to be a genuine Spanish driver.
What about the two cubes hanging at the mirror?
... and the dog puppet which moves the head?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2875 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments