Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11913 - 12/10/01 05:58 PM arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
mikerod76 Offline

Loc: florida
Hello everyone!
Does anyone know if it is possible to fly out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Madrid then come back home from Rome? It would save me the trip back to Madrid to fly home.

Thanks

#11914 - 12/10/01 11:35 PM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
To the best of my knowledge, Ft. Lauderdale doesn't service those int. flights. Why not fly out and back into Miami?

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#11915 - 12/10/01 11:54 PM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
mikerod76 Offline

Churrocaliente,

I could do that, but can I fly into Madrid and depart from Rome, that is, on a round-trip ticket?

#11916 - 12/11/01 09:37 PM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
HI,
I believe you are referring to "open jaw" tickets. Yes, you can do that depending on your airlines. The last time I did that I flew from New York City on TWA to Barajas, Madrid, and left Europe through Orly, Paris, back to New York. You will need to contact you airlines and ask them about an "open Jaw" ticket. Rick Steves, highly recommends these types of tickets in his book Europe Through the Back Door.
Booklady

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#11917 - 12/11/01 09:43 PM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
mikerod76 Offline

thanks Booklady!

#11918 - 12/12/01 05:44 AM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Booklady writes:
<< ... you are referring to "open jaw" tickets. Yes, you can do that depending on your airlines. The last time I did that I flew from New York City on TWA to Barajas, Madrid, and left Europe through Orly, Paris, back to New York. ...>>

Booklady: It must have been many years ago: TWA hasn't had Madrid service for at least 5-years. And most TransAtlantic flights to or from Paris have used Charles DeGaulle for the past 30-years.
But what you say about 'open jaw' flights is quite accurate, all the way to the "depending on your airline" caveat which may be significant coming out of MIA. One problem: our traveler may have to go up to Atlanta to find an airline (Delta) with direct service to/from both ends of his proposed 'open jaw' itinerary. I'm not that familiar with Miami. rolleyes
BTW
I very often 'open jaw,' mostly to Madrid & home from Lisboa (or vv). Last Spring I flew Continental EWR - Shannon (Ireland) and returned Madrid - EWR. cool

#11919 - 12/12/01 08:47 AM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
mikerod,

Try the multiple destination flight search option on www.travelocity.com

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#11920 - 12/12/01 11:32 AM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Eddie,
The last time I flew in one country and out another was Open Jaw in 1971, and it was Orly! I was a very young girl!!! laugh laugh laugh Since I married and have been travelling with family I have learned to stay in one location and use that as a home base!

Booklady! - Seven days to go!

#11921 - 12/13/01 05:52 AM Re: arrive at Madrid from Florida depart Rome possible?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Doña Carmen (aka Booklady):
Sorry! I flew into Paris (CDG) from London on BEA in '70. CDG was brand spankin' new. I guess it took a few years to get all the TransAtlantic carriers installed there. That same trip we flew TWA JFK - Heathrow and on the flip side: TWA Lisbon - JFK. I'd like to say I was just a young lad then, but it wouldn't be true. My wife and daughter (age-12 - would celebrate her 13th birthday in Innsbruck) were with me. rolleyes
Back then, the airlines allowed 2-stopovers outbound and 2-stopovers inbound. Not many people knew about or used that benefit; but we declared our destination to be Zurich with stops in London & Paris (outbound) and Madrid & Lisbon (inbound). The downside: as you may recall there was a lot of terrorist activity (airplane hijackings, etc.) going on those years. My wife fit a profile (Spain-born, U.S. Passport) that got her 'strip searched' in Zurich airport. eek

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2575 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments