Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11863 - 11/27/01 11:13 PM Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
mikerod76 Offline

Loc: florida
Hello everyone!
Can anyone tell me what time of year are the airline tickets the cheapest to fly to madrid? I do not want to go when it is hot.

thanks

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: mikerod76 ]

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11864 - 11/27/01 11:18 PM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I would say roughly October to maybe March is the off season for Spain. Most people don't want to travel when it is cold, and have the most time to travel in the summer, so I think that is when there is the most competition by the airlines for the few customer there are.

lcq

#11865 - 11/28/01 12:05 AM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
LomoConQueso is absolutely correct. March to early May is typically THE CHEAPEST time to fly to Madrid from the USA. Second cheapest would be October.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11866 - 11/28/01 09:47 AM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
I have been looking at flights to Madrid also. Right now, a flight from Washington, DC to Madrid is about $360. This is if you fly before Easter, after that the prices jump up to $700, but generally prices get cheaper the longer you wait to buy tickets.

It is also much cheaper (by at least $100) if you fly out on Tuesday and return on Thursday. I have discovered all of this after hundreds of flight searches on dozens of web sites.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: zero262quick ]
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#11867 - 11/28/01 10:01 AM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
mikerod76 Offline

Loc: florida
Thanks MM and zero262quick!
Zero262quick, is that amount for a roundtrip ticket?

thanks
Thanks to you to to lomoconqueso.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11868 - 11/28/01 10:42 AM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
zero262quick, wow! You've done hundreds of web searches to gather this information. What patience! How 'bout saving us the same search headaches by letting us know where you found that great price. Thanks!

Also, we should all keep in mind the blackout dates for holiday travel (for these low-cost special prices) which usually begin around December 16th and run through January 2nd or 3rd.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11869 - 11/29/01 08:28 AM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
mikerod,
Yes, that is the roundtrip ticket price. If you have any further questions or need help locating an airfare, please email me.

MM,
The number of searches has actually probably numbered in the thousands by now eek

I tried different day combinations and other variable to find the lowest price. I have an account with Travelocity and I use the fare watcher to find the lowest prices, but most of the fares I find using a search.

After all of this research I have found the following on fares (in order from cheapest to most expensive):

Leave Tues, return Thurs
Leave Thurs, return Sat
Leave Sat, return Mon
Leave Fri, return Sun
Leave Mon, return Wed
Leave Wed, return Fri
Leave Sun, return Tues

As I said before, the longer you wait, the cheaper the fare gets. One way tickets are often more expensive than roundtrip. The fewer connections, the cheaper the fare. First class is 10 times as expensive as coach.

Right now, the best round trip fare from Washington, DC to Madrid is about $390, roundtrip, after taxes. There is a layover in London, Paris, Amsterdam, or New York. This fare is in effect until Mar 20.

The fare watcher is great for last minute travel. I do not agree about the blackout dates, I have found several fares on Christmas or on the day after and on New Years.

If anyone needs assistance finding a fare, please email me.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#11870 - 11/30/01 12:49 PM Re: Cheapest time?: USA->madrid?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I agree with zero,departing on a Tues is the cheapest, the last three trips have been a Tues./Tues.,Thurs. combos. I often do searches with Travelocity just for the fun of it and Feb. and March seems to be a really cheap time to travel.
Also, even though there may be blackout dates at Christmastime, we left last year on Dec. 26th, on British Airways, just 580- per person round trip! I just wish I lived on the eastcoast so I can take advantage of the even cheaper fares! (we westcoasters pay a bit more! frown ).
Also, if you have the time, keep looking up the same itinerary, as sometimes they change in price. One time we were looking for a ticket for my sister (to join us in Madrid), 2 weeks before traveling, and within the span of 1/2 hour, the ticket price went down 100-. That was on Expedia!!
smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2673 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments