Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11831 - 11/26/01 09:23 AM Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Hi all. I am going to have my Reyes meal on Jan. 6th at the hosteria in Alcala de Henares. What's the best way to get there from central Madrid, bus or train? I bet the Holiday will impact on the schedule.

Can't wait to spend my SECOND Reyes in the Madrid area, thanks to the helpful board members who got me the Bancotel coupons I need!

#11832 - 11/26/01 08:40 PM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi again, rgf! Surely SOMEONE, at least one of the madrileños, would know this one. I'd guess you would take the cercanias train as I know this is how many in Alcalá get to their jobs in Madrid ciudad, but can't give any details. I'm also SURE there's a kind of shuttle bus from Alcalá to SOL, for example, but again, no details. Spaniards?? If you had asked this question yesterday, rgf, I could have asked my ladyfriend in Madrid who has relatives in Alcalá. The husband works in Madrid and uses public transportation.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11833 - 11/26/01 09:04 PM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
Itchyfeet Offline

Loc: Madrid
living in alcala myself. you can take the Cercanias to Alcala (or the one to Guadlahara) or else get the bus from Avenida de America...no.s 223,224 or 229 from the second level. Times vary accoring to traffic so if you want to be sure of arriving on time take the train.

#11834 - 11/26/01 09:49 PM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks Itchyfeet!!! Here are a couple of links to help too for trains:

RENFE Cercanias Info in english & CTM-MADRID.es info .

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11835 - 11/28/01 09:07 AM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
thanks, everyone! i've never been to Alcala and am looking forward to the short journey there. and of course to being in Spain...

#11836 - 11/28/01 07:58 PM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
rgf,
I'm so glad you finally found your bancotel ticket! Wanted to ask you if there was a lot to see at Alcala de Henares? Most of the guide books briefly mention it in passing.

Gracias
Booklady

#11837 - 11/29/01 05:32 AM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There are Storks all over the place! Alcala de Henares is the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes. There's the Plaza Cervantes, as one would expect; and then there's the University that dates back to the 16th Century, probably the major attraction there. I noted a lot of commonalities with the historic district of Guadalajara (Jalisco). You may find Cardinal Cisneros' name on the cornerstone of the University in Alcala and on the cornerstone of the Cathedral in Guadalajara (Jalisco). There are some very good restaurants in Alcala! And it's a nice place to spend a day. cool

#11838 - 11/29/01 11:45 AM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hi! I spent half a day in Alcala over Sept. I didn't see much unfortunately, but there was a lot to see.

I enjoyed the tour of Cervantes' birthplace. It's a museum really, set up as a household during that time period. There's also a great collection (under glass) of many edition of Don Q. If you're into books, you will enjoy that. (Booklady wink!) There's a nice explication of how women lived during the time period, the politics of the household, and so forth.

If you're a basketcase like me, you might also enjoy the also the yoga center in Plaza Irlanda where you can get a half hour therapeutic massage very inexpensively!!!

Alcala is where I had my second experience of churros and porras for breakfast, hence the origin of my mm.com moniker.

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#11839 - 11/29/01 07:15 PM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Gracias all!
Churrito you've convinced me, what more can I ask, books, a massage, and churros calientes! Yes, I am a librarian, and of course, books are my passion! Did you happen to see if they had a bookstore nearby by any chance?

Booklady

#11840 - 11/30/01 01:02 AM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hola Booklady,

No, unfortunately I don't remember if there were any bookstores nearby. The Cervantes house is located on the Calle Mayor, which has many little shops. Alcalá is a university town, so there's gotta be a bookstore somewhere ... (perhaps itchyfeet can provide the answer to your question)

The Cervantes collection was very interesting. Must have had at least 100 editions of Don Q on display -- translations, illustrated manuscripts -- all in different shapes and sizes, recent and antique.

Something tells me you would really like it!
wink

churrito

ps -- I sent you a private message on more bookwormish topics

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: churrocaliente ]

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#11841 - 11/30/01 05:22 AM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Booklady:
If you're there on a weekday, the University bookstore will be open. As you come in thru the main portal (stone arch) you'll see it on your left (as I recall). They didn't seem to have any problem with us shopping there as long as we spent a few mil (pesetas). rolleyes

#11842 - 11/30/01 05:38 AM Re: Madrid to Alcala de Henares: bus, train?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

There's a chance I'll visit Alcalá de Henares next month too... but wondering what mode of transportation I'll use; the bus or the train? Hmmmm... confused Well, whichever I choose, I have the information I'll need by Itchyfeet (for bus) and RENFE has all the other information.

Saludos, MadridMan wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2606 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments