MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11802 - 11/08/01 08:12 PM Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi everyone

It's now time for me to start thinking about my wife's and I next trip to Spain and we need some help. We are OK with the everything to, and including Sevilla, but need some assitance with getting from Sevilla to the Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar area.

The train seems to be a problem as it will take up most of the day Sevilla/Bobadilla/Algeciras, while there is a train that will take us to Cadiz but we then have the problem with getting across to Algeciras etc. What are the Bus options from Sevilla to Algeciras etc and/or bus from Cadiz to Algeciras etc. A web-site will be all that I need and I can then do the rest myself.

The other question is that we are considering a Day trip to Tangiers or somewhere similar and, this is a shock to me as we are very much independent travellers, using the services of an organised tour. Where can we contact people (Travel Agent etc)? Once again, a Web Site will be all that I require.

I have checked on "Google" and other search engines but haven't had a lot of luck so I thought that it was time to go to the real "experts".

Muchas Gracias

David smile smile

#11803 - 11/08/01 09:35 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Hola

Just after I logged off I had a revelation ( a sort of brainwave).

As we were considering to stop off in Cordoba on the way down to Sevilla, why not go straight to Sevilla and then return to Cordoba. This would allow us to catch the 10.40am Talgo train from Cordoba to arrive in Algeciras at about 2.00pm. This beats leaving Sevilla at about 7.30am and sitting around Bobadilla for nearly 3 hours waiting for the Talgo to arrive.

However, I'm still open to any other suggestions.

Gracias

David cool

#11804 - 11/08/01 11:49 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
Cristobal Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA USA
Hello David, I recommend taking a bus from Sevilla to Tarifa(6$, 3 hours). Tarifa is a much more beautiful city than Algercias. I had a great hotel for only 18 a night. Great beach and nice town center. There is a tour office on the main street, where you can book a day trip to Morroco. They have a shuttle bus that will take you to Algercias(30 minutes) included in the price of the tour. Let me know if you have any more questions. Take care, Chris

#11805 - 11/09/01 01:06 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Thanks Cristobal

I've just come back to the site while I had a spare minute or 2 here at work - one of the joys of 24/7 Internet connection.

As I have said I'm open to suggestions. I was looking at Algeciras/La Linea as both my wife and I have a wish to at least see Gilbraltar, even for only part of a day. I suppose it comes from all those years at school with British History (rather than Australian History) being taught and Gilbraltar being a prominent subject mentioned.

It doesn't really matter to us where we stay, so long as it's relatively safe and reasonably priced, so I'll definately look at Tarifa, especially if there is a local bus that would get us to La Linea to walk across to Gilbraltar. We aren't 5 Star travellers, more like 1 star, that's what happens when you are in your 50's and still Backpacking. Do you remember the name of the Hotel in Tarifa, where the Bus departs from in Sevilla (and the Company Name) and was the Tourist Office a travel agent or the Local tarifa Tourist Office.

Muchas Gracias

David

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: DavidB ]

#11806 - 11/09/01 09:53 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hi David. Try this site for accomodation info and anything else about Tarifa http://www.tarifainfo.com/en/lodging/index.htm#hotel

Morocco isn't too popular a destination at the moment and there are some good deals to be had. I saw in a travel agent's window an offer that gives two nights b&b in a four star hotel in Tangier for 9.000 Pts, including the ferry! Now if I could just get my friends to consider it.....

#11807 - 11/09/01 09:09 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
16bobby Offline

Loc: bedminster, new jersey
David,

Seville is the best city I've visited in Spain. Didn't get ripped off as much as I have in most of the other cities and along the costa del sol.
The talgo schedule can be obtained from www.renfe.es. trains run certain times, need bus or cab to get to and from station which is a waste of precious time(try not to take a cab if you can, was I ripped off twice in Madrid) and except for AVE can be very crowed. Coming back from Granada there was 8 of us in a cabin and I was toutching knees with a 6 footer. Very, very uncomfortable.
I rented a car after leaving Seville and was very happy to go where ever I wanted, when ever I wanted. Main roads are excellant and you can see much, much more of Spain in a car. Plus a car allows you visit and see more of the beautiful cities(Arcos, jerez Cadiz Algeciras. Gibraltar, etc) and country side. And also stop to view sites that you are interested in.
Try not to cram to much into your visit unless you have plenty of time. One thing more, if you need a room most train stations have a booth that will get you a room in the price range you want. Also the yellow and sometimes blue information booths(if you can find them!)where you are have list of abodes for you to contact.
Happy visiting and I hope you speak spanish or understand it. If not be prepared to be ripped off, except in Seville.

#11808 - 11/09/01 09:29 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
Cristobal Offline

Hi David, The name of the hostal in Tarifa is called Hostal Alborada. Anchovey's posting has a website. I paid 3000 pesetas for a single in the low season(Until March 30) The bus station in Sevilla is called Estacion Prado San Sebastian.The bus company is called Transportes Comes. In Tarifa, the Morroco tour group office is across the street from the bus depot. To Gibraltar, take bus to Algercias(30 min) then take another bus to La Linea(45 min). Tarifa is a much safer city than Algercias. Actually, I have been to both Spain and Austraila in the past 12 months. I am getting that travelling itch again. Either Spain for the third time in 18 months or South America. Heck, who am I kidding.....Viva Espana!!!!!!

#11809 - 11/11/01 08:35 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

It's Monday Morning and I'm back at work (?), so sorry for not responding quicker.

"Anchovy Front" - Thanks for the Website. It will help immensely with what we are thinking of doing.

"16bobby" - Thanks for the information. We have been to Seville and Granada before and agree with you about Seville. That's why we wish to return. We never, unless it's an emergency or very early/late, use Taxis (cabs). We prefer to walk or use the local transport (Bus or Metro). Coming from Australia, driving is really not an option with everything on the wrong side of the car and road to what I'm used to. I did it once, way back in 1988, and, while I agree with you about being able to get out of the way places, I found the experience to be more tiring than my other trips to Europe when I used Trains and Buses. We also never try to cram too much into any trip, we will be away from Australia for 6 weeks on this trip, and tend to move to a town/city and stay for 3-5 days before moving on. With regard to the Accomodation Booths in Railway Stations, some do and some don't - Granada didn't when we were ther in 1999. And my Spanish is not real good, but I get by - just!!! and I'm a very seasoned traveller so I'm very much aware of rip-offs. If you want to see real rip-offs go to South East Asia. Some parts of Europe are only just starting to learn about ripping people off.

"Cristobal" - Thanks for the name of the Hostal. I checked it on the site that "Anchovy Front" gave me and it looks real good. I thought that that was the name of the bus station but wasn't 100% sure. Nice to see that you been "Down Under" to my part of the World. I hope that enjoyed it.

Once again many thanks, and if you have anything further please post it here.

David smile cool wink

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: DavidB ]

#11810 - 11/11/01 10:52 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
Cristobal Offline

When are you going to Spain???

#11811 - 11/12/01 12:40 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Cristobal

Hopefully, this time next year.

It may seem strange that I am starting to sort out "where and what" 12 months ahead, but for us to get to Europe it's a 24 hour flight (about 27 hours when you include the stop in either Singapore, Kuala Lumpor, Bangkok, Tokyo or Hong Kong, so you actually like to maximise your time there. We actually lose 4 days in travelling time just to get there and back again. Plus, I have to convince my wife that the Grandchildren "WILL" survive without us for 4 to 6 weeks. As well, this is the time for the Low Season Airfares and the least number of Tourists wandering around Europe. A WIN/WIN situation as far as I am concerned.

The other thing is, of course, that I have to give my Employers enough time to come to grips with me being away for up to 6 weeks at a time. They are OK about it, but the longer they have to think about it, the easier it is to get a long time off. Anyway, I have the Holiday Hours built up so I have to take them some time.

If I had my way I would be travelling most of the time except that I don't have an never ending supply of money to allow me to do this. Still, The children are all in well paid, secured jobs so we are working on spending their inheritance.

Catch you later.

David cool laugh

#11812 - 11/12/01 02:59 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
Cristobal Offline

October and November are always a great time. The weather is comfortable and the bargains are great. In fact it has been exactly one year since I was in Austraila. Great travelling bargains and no Americans. Most Austrailians thought I was Canadian....Ahhh. smile I guess there aren't too many Americans in Austraila during our Thanksgiving season. I never travelled until I was 30 years old. Now I have been to 23 countries in 3 years. It is probably one of the best things one can do. One can only learn so much from books......Take care, Chris

#11813 - 11/12/01 07:05 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Thanks Chris

Our last, and for that matter, only time in Spain, was in November 1999. I have to confess that Spain was never high on our "Must See" or "Have to See" list of countries, but a friend of ours met a Madrilinos (Sp?) Senorita here in Australia on an overnight train journey, fell in love and married her in Madrid. We went to Madrid for their Wedding and fell in love with Spain.

I'm glad that you enjoyed Australia, and sorry, I suppose, that you were mistaken for a Canadian, although they tend to get upset if they are mistaken for an American.

Thanks for the assistance.

David laugh wink

#11814 - 11/13/01 12:42 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
Senga Offline

Loc: Atlanta
David,

G'day from a former Australian...we emigrated to America when I was a child. Still have family in Sydney though...

I just completed the itinary you posted except in reverse. I definitly advise you take the bus from Seville to Tarifa. Spend the days and nights at Hotel Alborada. Nice and clean, front desk was helpful, even though I spoke very little Spaniish, we muddled through. Great place to eat in Tarifa is in the Old Town by the church...(I will have to send you the name, right now I am at work.) Go to the beach, relax and admire the Atlas mountains. You could also do a day trip to Jerez to visit the sherry bodegas, or even go to Cadiz, which I heard was great! You can buy a tour to Morrocco, (onlu EU Citizens can go to Morocco from Tarifa..Why? I do not know...Spanish logic? you just go with the flow.)which we did, but I hated going with a group. You can take a taxi to Algeciras from Tarifa.Or you can take the bus, there is one almost every hour. The bus station is on the main street in Tarifa, right out side the old town. You can buy your ticket to Algeciras on the bus. The schedule is posted on the outside of the office. Then take a taxi from the bus station to the port. Then buy your round trip tickets to Tangier at the Port. The boat ride is 3 hours. When you get to Tangier, you must hire a guide. Morocco is overwhelming even when you do this, otherwise you will not know what to do or where to go. The street vendors will still follow you everywhere. Negotiate a price. Say US$25.00 . This way you will get to see what you want to. We got stuck with a tour, spending all this time in Teutoan, and the taking an 1.5 hr bus ride to Tangier, and back. We had to eat at a prescribed restaurant with a fixed menu. WE hardly had any time in Tangier, and there is great stuff to see! But with an organized tour, you only go to the shops where they get a kickback. Definitely hire someone who is young ...every one is very entreprenurial and Morocco is very, very, overwhelming.( you will understand free range meat is everywhere.) I wish I could have spent the night in Tangier. I loved Morocco, and plan to go and delve into the country more, but my friend hated it. To her, the poverty was overwhelming. It was the furthest I have been from America/Europe, and I do not mean by mileage. PLan on getting up early, and take the first bus over...the boat leaves around 9:00am from Algeciras and returns from Morocco @ 20:00. Keep in mind you gain a couple hours in Morocco.

Gibralter, is tremendous. A geology lesson as well as a history lesson. PLan on spending the day there, and spend the night there as well @ the CAnnon B&B. Watch out for those Barbary Apes! They are cute, but they can jump on you when you are not expecting it! I loved Gibralter....take the cable car up the "Rock", and hike down, visiting all the sights down. They are worth it. The town itself is charming. After 10 days in Spain, it was refreshing to speak English again. Again, another distinctive Spanish experience. In the morning, the Rock is shrouded in fog; it took until about 11:00am for it to burn off. Take a jacket, it is very windy at the top!

Write back if you have any more questions, I will dig out my notes. When we went, it was 9 days after the World Trade Center attacks, so there were no Americans anywhere, except students studying abroad. We had a great time..people were very kind to us once they heard we were from America. HAve a great trip. My favorite city in Spain was Seville..though I do have to warn you , it is noisy even at 2:00am.. Check out Museum of Culture and Folklore in the PLaza Espana area as welll as the Fine Arts Museum in Seville. It is a gem. It is in an old convernt, and just a jewel. Wander the streets on both sides of the river. I thought and felt safe in Seville, just be aware.

#11815 - 11/13/01 08:05 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
DavidB Offline

Muchas Gracias Senga

And a G'day to you from Down Under. Just remember that "you may take the person from Australia, but you'll never take Australia from the person". You'll always have that link back here no matter what happens.

Anyway, what a great amount of very good information. Please be free to send more information once you have found it. I agree with you about the tour thing, although sometimes it's the safest, and only way to go.

A quick question re the time zones. You mentioned that you gain a couple of hours in Morocco. Was this during the Daylight Saving period in Spain, or is it a permanent thing. Checking on the Time/Date setting in Windows it appears that Morocco is on GMT and is 1 hour behind Spain, which would relate to the 2 hours you mentioned.

I know about Seville, and agree with you about it being my favourite city in Spain.

Once again, many thanks

David cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2722 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments