Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11787 - 11/07/01 02:33 PM can I make the last bus to Segovia?
teva Offline

Hi. I need to draw on everyone's knowledge again. I will be getting into Barajas airport on a Friday night (8.20ish); I reckon at least an hour to get out of the airport and the last bus for Segovia leaves at 10.30pm from Principe Pio (train?)Stn. from what I've read on this message board.
So, am I likely to make it (and pray I'll find a seat) all the way across town in an hour? Should I just get in a taxi (despite the dangers of being ripped off) or go by Metro?

And if I make it to Segovia does anyone know if there is a taxi rank near the bus stop (I have an onward journey of 20kms) or should I order one in advance.

Once again grateful for any suggestions and thanks to all the members of this brilliant forum.

#11788 - 11/07/01 02:52 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Let's face it; there is a certain risk of not making it. Principe Pio is exactly on the other side of town from Barajas.

Friday evening is not the best time to circle around the city by car. Metro will minimize that risk. But if the plane gets delayed...

What about taking a train from Chamartin to Segovia, that would be may choice it's lot nearer to the airport and you may even find later options than 10:30, just in case....

#11789 - 11/07/01 03:41 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Like Nativo said, it's risky. If you take a taxi there may be a traffic jam. If you take the metro it could take an hour to get to Principe Pío with all the connections and you don't want to take much luggage with you on the metro either. I'd say take a taxi and have a price in mind before getting in (Nativo/Antonio, any ideas of the cost??). If you don't make it in time at least you'll (probably) be able to buy a ticket for the first or second bus out the next morning and you could stay at a (more or less) nearby hostel in the city center if you don't want to try to CATCH a train instead.

The train would be a more reliable option if you're late, but more expensive (but not a lot as it's not a long trip). Anyone else?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11790 - 11/07/01 04:01 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
teva Offline

OK, I just checked the Renfe website and as far as I can make out the last train for Segovia leaves at 8.16pm. Could this be right???

#11791 - 11/07/01 04:38 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

WOW! It seems you're absolutely correct! I'm surprised! Leaves at 8:16pm and arrives in Segovia 2 hours later and is ONLY 805 pesetas! WOW! That's CHEAP!! BUT, that's TOO late for you so the train isn't really an option. Seems you'll have to TRY to make the bus and if you miss it, buy your ticket for the next morning and spend the night. Good luck!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11792 - 11/07/01 05:33 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
teva Offline

Bus it is. So, you guys all agree I should try it by Metro rather than taxi (Madrid end)?

Also, sorry to keep hacking on about this but say, just say, I do make it to Segovia, do you think I'll find a taxi? Does anyone know of a taxi company in Segovia (I'll need them the next morning if not Friday night)?

Again, many, many thanks to everyone.

#11793 - 11/07/01 07:13 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
A couple of years ago I took the bus into Segovia and there were plenty of taxis just sitting there waiting for customers. I left on the earliest bus out...before breakfast was served ANYWHERE... and the hotel called a taxi for me. I prefer buses to trains for short distances like Madrid-Segovia anyway, so I think you're making a wise choice wink

Does Aerocity only go to hotels? I didn't see it mentioned as an option and that seems like something between taxi and metro! What about Aerocity to a hotel within walking distance of the bus station? Is that illegal?

#11794 - 11/07/01 08:17 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

la maestra, AeroCITY will take you anywhere you want. I believe their prices are based on transportation to hotels in the immediate city center. If you go outside the immediate city center it's slightly more expensive. Last October 2000 they took me to my ladyfriend's house outside of the city center. While unusual, they are prepared to serve their customers.

The only thing is, sometimes you have to wait for the AeroCITY van to arrive and teva doesn't have ANY extra time to waste. That, plus the AeroCITY shuttle is a shared service so it's possible they may have to drop off at least one other client before making it to teva's destination and that would waste time.

Teva, yes, I'm sure la meastra is right. You should be able to get a taxi at the bus station in Segovia at nearly any hour of the day without problem. You'll arrive in Segovia at about 10:15pm and am SURE you'll have a number of taxis waiting to take those getting off busses to wherever they want to go. Believe me, THEY KNOW when all the busses arrive at the bus station.

Have a GREAT trip, teva!! I know you will.
Saludos, MadridMan

#11795 - 11/08/01 06:28 AM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Saturday, June 2, '01 I arrived at Barajas from London at 22:20. I was trying to catch a 00:30 (overnight) bus to Cadiz (south bus station). Luckily, I found someone to share a taxi to the bus station. We got there at 23:20 which gave us time for a light supper before our busses departed.
We had arrived from another EU Country: No Immigration and no Customs. We just had to wait for our baggage at the carousel. I did not have to change money or buy a phone card but next time I will (Euro's). You should be able to make it ... barring unforeseen circumstances. cool

#11796 - 11/08/01 04:22 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
teva Offline

Thanks Eddie and everyone else for replying. Who knows if I'll make it or not. I'll just have to go with the flow.

#11797 - 11/08/01 06:05 PM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
No shortage of taxis anywhere in Spain at bus and train stations...don't worry about that. I suggest you take the bus over the train (to Segovia) for reasons discussed in another similar thread.

For the more adventurous (and late arriver) consider hiring a taxi for the trip to Segovia...sounds loco, but if you absolutely don't want to stay in Madrid that night, it's a viable option. Set a price prior to leaving, though, and get the driver's info (you'll have time on the drive up). I taxied from Segovia to Avila years back, and remember it being reasonable, especially since you'll be getting door-to-door service.

#11798 - 11/09/01 05:47 AM Re: can I make the last bus to Segovia?
teva Offline

Hey this is getting crazier and crazier but I'm sure we're keeping some people entertained.
In an ideal world I would go to Segovia on Friday night, so if I did decide to take a taxi, does anyone know what the maximum I should expect to pay would be (I won't have much luggage)? In fact, as I mentioned before, I need to go further than Segovia (and this is where it gets crazy because I have visions of myself driving round mountain cliffs in the Spanish night trying to make myself understood to the taxi-driver with my half-forgotten Spanish), specifically a place called Torre Val de San Pedro which is at the foothills of the Guadarrama range, near a village called Pedraza. It is 115 kms from Madrid and 27kms from Segovia and is 1120 m above sea level.
CaliBasco thanks for your suggestion. By the way, do you mention getting the taxi-drivers details as a safety precaution (difficult when I'm already in the taxi!) or so I have more leverage when it comes to paying at the end?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2431 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments