Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11771 - 10/26/01 07:02 PM Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
Travelgirl Offline

Loc: CA
We are going to Madrid in 10 days, lots of guide book and web sites listed train service from Atocha station to Segovia, but this option is not listed on the RENFE , only from Charmatin station.Can anyone advise on this? Do I need to take a metro at Atocha and transfer in Charmatin? Or is a bus service better?

PS: Don't forget to register for double miles bonus if anyone else is flying with US Air .

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11772 - 10/26/01 10:32 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello Travelgirl,
What a good question! I was curious as well. I just did a search, utilizing the "Search" function on the upper right of the page and found a wonderful reply to your question from Antonio, one of the Administrators. It is actually the 08-22-01 link titled "Toledo-Segovia Transportation". It also provides you with information on buses that takes you to Segovia.

I am interested in your postscript about double miles on US AIR would you mind sharing the url?

Booklady smile

#11773 - 10/27/01 12:10 AM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
Travelgirl Offline

Hi Booklady:

I did read the 8-22 post by Antonio before I posted the topic,but I still can't find the Madrid to Segovia from Atocha station directly, it is not listed on the RENFE list and that is why I am confused. RENFE only have the train to Segovia by Chamartin on the list. Antonio, can you help us out on this, is there a direct train from Atocha to Segovia?

You can go to www.USAIR.com and register for double miles bonus for paid ticket,it was just extened to DEC,15 yesterday. The regular divident mile will not automatically give the double miles, one have to register for the special double mile promotion.We are flying on the 6th via Philadelphia, how about you?

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11774 - 10/27/01 01:10 AM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
I don't think there is a direct train from Atocha to Segovia. However, I do know that there is a quick rail link between the two stations and that the trens are at least hourly (probably at least 3-4 an hour).

#11775 - 10/27/01 05:32 AM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I know at Renfe it says all trains to Segovia depart from Chamartin. However, the printed schedules I have say all of them depart from Atocha, stopping at Recoletos, Nuevos Ministerios and then Chamartin.

#11776 - 10/27/01 10:26 AM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
There is a sort of circular train loop (called Cercanias) around Madrid with main transfer points at Atocha, Recoletos Charmartin, El Tejar, Principio and Mendez Alvaro stations. The trains to suburbs and outlying towns branch off at certain points. There is also a transfer point further out to the Northwest at Villalba and trains go thru there to Avila, El Escorial, and Segovia. Many of the lines go part way around the loop hitting several stations before branching off to outlying areas. It looks like there may be a line that goes directly from Atocha to Charmartin to Segovia, but I can't tell for sure from the map. Starting at Atocha it looks like there would be a number of opportunities to switch over to a line going to Segovia. There's a good map at Renfe (I've haven't been to Madrid YET, so my information only comes from web and books, but hopefully after my trip in Dec. I will be a genuine expert!)

[NOTE: The map at the link you provided is out of date. Always refer to official websites for the most updated information]

Check out also a map of the regional trains here and the schedules here

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#11777 - 10/27/01 10:28 AM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Chamartin may be the listed point of departure to Segovia, but there is definitely a train from Atocha. I can remember taking it to Segovia on my last trip (in January). But I didn't use Renfe's site, just walked over to the station and bought a ticket.

#11778 - 10/27/01 12:00 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
Travelgirl Offline

Thank you all for the wonderful info, I will post upon returning from Madrid to clerify the Atocha-Segovia train option.

#11779 - 10/27/01 12:53 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
josemacall Offline

Loc: Galapagar(Madrid)
There is a tunnel wich connects Atocha with Chamartín with to station on the run -Recoletos and Nuevos Ministerios-, and the trains to Segovia came from Atocha, so you can ask for the info in the same Atocha Station, at the Information Office. The price from Atocha is the same that the one from Chamartín.
In this sense, forget use metro between the two train stations.

#11780 - 10/28/01 02:17 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
You can take the metro to Chamartin and get ticket there. I found that to be a cheap and effective way of getting to Segovia.

By the way, the train station ia about a 20 minute walk to the center of Segovia. There are a few taxis if you can find one.

The bus route will drop you off in the city center.

#11781 - 11/01/01 07:56 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
Eric - NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
I took the bus from Madrid to Segovia (and back) on 10/22 and it was tremendously easy. From everything I've read, it's best to forget about the train and hop on the bus. If I remember correctly, the bus is cheaper, faster and drops you off a lot closer to town. I think the buses leave every half-hour (in both directions).

Enjoy Segovia...

#11782 - 11/02/01 12:53 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If you're taking public transport, the bus is a better option. The train station is not centrally located, you will be taking Cercanías, which are also known as "pueblo-hoppers" as they stop EVERYWHERE unless you get on certain ones, and the bus station is at the end of the main (now pedestrian) street in Segovia on Paseo Ezequiel González...very close to everything.

Although I prefer train travel to bus travel, in this instance, and in the trip between San Sebastián and Pamplona [totally unrelated], I recommend the bus.

#11783 - 11/02/01 07:34 PM Re: Train from Atocha (Madrid) to Segovia
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Two years ago I made this trip by train. We passed through an area with early snow in November. It was beautiful. I hope you have the same experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2311 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments