MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11688 - 09/22/01 02:06 PM Ronda to Gibraltar
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Can anyone tell me the best mode of transportation to reach Gibraltar from Ronda, train or bus?

Gracias smile

#11689 - 09/22/01 02:48 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
You can check out the train schedules on the RENFE site (if you do a search on this MM board you can probably find a link to it.) If I were you,though, I'd take the bus. I have found for short distances the buses are faster than trains,involve less hassle with luggage, and are quite comfortable. There was a link on this board that I used that, as I recall, was a bus schedule from Malaga. You might do a search for that and see if the Ronda link shows up. If you don't have any luck with the search, don't worry. When you get to Spain you will be able to make the arrangements quite easily. The folks at the bus station in Ronda are quite helpful!!
(By the way, that is one of my favorite cities and I'm jealous ALREADY!!)

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11690 - 09/22/01 07:27 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hola La Maestra,
Mil gracias for the information! I must tell you that I almost planned to stay in Algeciras. But I bypassed Ronda the last time I was in Andalucia,25 years ago, and I've regreted it, because I've heard such wonderful reviews from my friends that have travelled there. I had some difficulty finding a hostal, I finally went the Banchotel site (thanks to the info. from Anchovy Front) and will be staying at the Reina Victoria. The parador sounds wonderful, but I did not want to splurge in Ronda. What do you think?

I want to thank you and all of MadridMan's Members for giving me so much advise and valuable information. I am truly having fun planning this trip.

I have particularly enjoyed reading your posts, you have such breadth of knowledge about travelling in Spain and sound advice for women travellers.

smile

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#11691 - 09/23/01 12:28 AM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the kind words, Booklady! I also missed Ronda repeatedly and finally got to visit there last summer. I splurge on one hotel visit each time I travel...generally the first night or two. I love to travel, but always feel like leftover linguini due to jetlag. Pampering myself seems to help me recover! Anyway, I stayed at the Hotel Goyesca while I was in Ronda and loved it. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the place you're staying, but I can't imagine having a BAD time in a place as lovely as Ronda!

Have a great trip!

#11692 - 09/23/01 10:56 AM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I visited Ronda last month. I did not see the hotel where you are staying, but I did visit the paradore. It is in the center of town, so it is easily walking to everything.

#11693 - 09/26/01 01:24 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
There are express buses that run from Ronda to both Malaga and Cadiz. If I remember correctly, most of the coastal stops between Malaga and Cadiz will require a second more local bus. What is your stepping off point for Gib?

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#11694 - 09/26/01 02:55 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I know there's a direct train from Ronda to Algeciras, leaving Ronda at around 12.15 or so, and taking two hours. From there as you know, it's only a short hop to Gibraltar. I'm not sure about buses. I'll be in Ronda this weekend, so I'll find out if you want.

#11695 - 09/26/01 10:06 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Puna & Barry, I was thinking of leaving Ronda fairly early before 10 a.m. and hopefully arriving at Gibraltar at around noon and then returning in the early evening train to Granada from San Roque.

Puna and La Maestra's advice of the bus sounds good to me. There aren't that many trains to Algeciras/San Roque/La Linea from Ronda.

I am not too keen in visiting Gibraltar,I'd rather stay in Ronda after reading all the threads about Ronda and Gibraltar, but my son thinks its a cool place to visit and since we are going to be so close I hate to say no.

Barry, hope you have a nice time in Ronda, and yes I'd love to hear about your visit and any information.
Gracias

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#11696 - 09/28/01 09:39 AM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Sorry but I don't remember if there is bus service from Ronda to Algeciras - perhaps someone else has more knowledge.
If you have the time, try and visit Cadiz. Absolutely wonderful and not chocker-block full of tourists!

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#11697 - 09/29/01 01:10 AM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

My "Lonely Planet Andalucia" says the excursion buses run M-F from bus stations in Costa del Sol resorts to Gibraltar (1350 ptas. from Marbella). I remember seeing ads for tours in the hotel we stayed in as well. The bus station at La Linea is supposed to be about a 5 min walk to the border (let me see if my trusty Fodor's has more info....)Ok....if you do the La Linea route there is mention of a 6:30 am bus from La Linea to Ronda, so perhaps there is also one from Ronda directly to La Linea.

Booklady, if you haven't already picked up one of the travel books, I'd recommend it!

#11698 - 09/30/01 03:42 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hola La Maestra,
Well let me see, I have the following travel books:
1. Rick Steves' Spain - My Biblia
2. Frommer's Spain 2001
3.Let's Go 2001 Spain and POrtugal
5. Lonely Planet Spain 2nd ed.
6. Cadogan Spain
7. DK Spain
8. Discovery Channel Spain
9. The Green Guide - Spain
But, the information from MadridMan's website is by far the best I have seen. Gracias and Bless you Madrid Man! laugh

Also, the information in travel books may or may not be correct because although they print them annually,we librarians can tell you, that does not mean that they were significantly updated, so the information may be dated.

But best of all, I get to chat with nice and interesting people like you!
Gracias
Booklady
smile

#11699 - 09/30/01 11:12 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Holy Frijoles! You have an even more extensive library than I have!

Yes, this site is a goldmine of information and I consider the members friends...just as much so as folks I see in the flesh everyday! Nevertheless, there are always odd tidbits of information that you stumble upon in those books! Also, I've found their information on trains and buses a really good starting point. If they say buses run from A to B, I'm pretty sure they really will! There have been times that was all I really had to go on!

#11700 - 10/01/01 08:25 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Booklady, I'm a real cheapie, but I stayed at Ronda's Parador last year for a couple of nights and the view is truely awesome. I think most of the rooms, in fact, have views. I was very pleased with the high quality of the rooms. Last year I paid about 80 USD a night for my room. Have fun.

#11701 - 10/01/01 09:58 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hola Rere,
Hay Caramba! I am going to have to call and change reservations. You are right the pictures in the Parador's webpage is impressive! The menu also looked good. Well, I am going to investigate and see if they have alojamiento. I must say that I am finding that it was good that I took this Board's advice and booked early because December is a happening month in Spain, and you need to book early. laugh

La Maestra, Si, tienes razon, the books are helpful too. But, I can't take them all with me, and Heaven Forfend, that I would break them apart, like Rick Steves suggests in his videos. I would be drummed out of the library profession! I will however, copy the pertinent parts and take them with me.
smile

#11702 - 10/06/01 10:37 AM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Booklady, one of the reoccuring themes on the pages of madridman.com is to get out of your room and enjoy the country and its people. However, if your Parador has a view like ours did. . . Who needs the people?(just kidding). I'm excited that you are considering a stay at the Parador. By the way, there is a little tour company that tours the city and slightly outside the city. Take it! It shows you several views of the city that are out of this world. wink

#11703 - 10/06/01 01:53 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
ChrisChaplow Offline

Loc: Estepona
Without doubt the best way from Ronda to Gibraltar is by train. The train takes a few hours and passed through some fantastic scenery. You will need to get out at San Roque or Algeciras and catch the local bus to La Linea then walk over the border to Gibraltar. The train journey is described at http://www.andalucia.com/accounts/ronda.htm
have a good trip! smile

#11704 - 10/07/01 01:37 PM Re: Ronda to Gibraltar
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Thank you ChrisChaplow for the information. This Board is wonderful. I was having difficulties finding the online website for Alsina Graellis the autobus company. I did find it after reading another posting from Antonio that it is under Continental. But I did not find the right connection. I wanted to find an autobus that would take me from Ronda to San Pedro de Alcantara to La Linea. I have searched my guides and no luck finding this information.

So I will probably take the Renfe train as you say, then switch at San Roque to a bus. Perhaps by the time I return I can take the autobus, because I would love to see the scenery near the coast as well.

Thank you for that wonderful historical account of Algeciras and Ronda. Knowing facts like that gives the area a much more intersting flavor.
Mil Gracias! smile

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments