Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11577 - 08/21/01 01:34 AM Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
janie Offline

Loc: California
We will be traveling from Sept 22 to Oct 5, 2001, and will rent a car when we leave Madrid to go to Segovia, Toledo, Sevilla, Granada and around. The prices we have found through Hertz and Avis are $500+ for under 2 weeks. Where have people found reasonable prices for car rental? We were not asking for diesal, and will try that, but wondered where the good rates are.

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11578 - 08/21/01 12:15 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Janie: Last Nov. I rented thru Visa for 8 days out of Malaga. I found a 30% discount & reserved via the Net. My total bill was 24,000 Psts.which was after conversion about 125.00 USD. I was given diesel but did not request it. I was upgraded because I asked for the smallest car possible as they are usually first to go.My suggestion is to reserve from the US and searc around for discounts which are available thru CCs,organizations you may belong to,suggestions on Frommers.com etc.I also had no drop off fee as I left the car in Seville. You will find Spanish car agencies very competative even cut throat sometimes. Hold off for a few weeks while you search around.Good Luck to you. Ski laugh

Sorry Janie that was Avis I rented from on my Visa card. Some cards provide free CDW & you can save 10-13 USD daily.Ski

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11579 - 08/21/01 12:38 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Ski,

That's a great price. I never thought about asking for their smallest car and getting a free upgrade... frown

The small cars are small, and at my size I feel like a saradine in a can... rolleyes

I have to remember this tip. Sounds like a bell ringer to me.

Wolf (Whose main objective after getting into a car is to be able to get out again without someone using the jaws of life to make it happen... eek )

#11580 - 08/21/01 01:16 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Wolfie: I'm 6 4" & 200 lbs. & my girl is 5 8" and 140. We are not little but had plenty of room in our Renault. My main concern is headroom & legroom so I was concerned but we fit fine. Getting an upgrade from the smallest I request has never failed yet either in the US or Europe. Ski laugh

#11581 - 08/21/01 01:38 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
Wolf Offline

Ski,

I outweigh you by 100#, but gravity has had an effect on my height... rolleyes I'm not quite that tall. But, if you can get in comfortably, I should be able to make it by using olive oil and a shoe horn.

Thanks again for the great tip! I intend using it everytime I rent a car. It really makes sense.

Wolf (Who keeps trying to tell his doctor that he's not overweight, just a couple of feet too short for his weight... eek )

#11582 - 08/21/01 05:05 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
Tia Offline

Wolf, you mean "undertall", right? wink

#11583 - 08/21/01 06:05 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
Wolf Offline

Tia,

Undertall will work.... just can't find it in the dictionary... laugh

I think the best description would be vertically challenged. rolleyes

Wolf (Whose conscience tells him tonight is a salad night. I'll put the steak away... frown )

#11584 - 08/23/01 12:44 PM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I just paid $295 for 12 days from Avis for a comfortable midsize Renault,diesel,stick. I booked 1 week via #800 then added some days once there so that actually added a little to the rate. I picked up the car on the Grand Via (downtown)the morning I was leaving Madrid. Frommers Budget Travel mag. just mentioned that tip about booking small and upgrading. It especially works at sites other than airports where they don't always have a full assortment of cars available.

#11585 - 08/26/01 11:02 AM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
janie Offline

Karen, did your price include insurance? my husband wants full coverage - bodily injury, property, collision. What did you do about insurance? thanks!

#11586 - 08/26/01 11:05 AM Re: Car Rental & Insurance (from Madrid)
janie Offline

Billy Ski, did your price include insurance? and what is CDW? Thanks! Janie
--------
Any thoughts out there on insurance for car rentals? I saw some comments about collision insurance, but we were thinking we need full coverage - bodily injury, property damage, collision. Any resources? Hertz and Avis are quoting megabucks for insurance - about the same price as the car rental.
Gracias, Janie

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments