Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11316 - 06/08/01 10:34 AM Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
jlramos Offline

Loc: New York NY EEUU
Hola chicos y chicas! This is my first post! I am from Caceres (Extremadura) but have been living in New York City (Upper West Side) for the past 10 years. I feel really lucky to be part of such a nice, good-hearted community (well...except for the handful of reactionary types). ANYWAY...It looks like there's a going to be an Iberia pilot strike this summer on selected dates. Check out today's edition of EL PAIS . Any insight, advice or nightmare stories? Is it easy to switch to Delta or Continental ? It looks like I'm flying from Barajas to JFK on one of those days. Thanks!

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11317 - 06/08/01 11:15 AM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
¡Hola jlramos! Welcome to the group!! It's always great to have Spaniards join the message board. And thank you for your information about the impending Iberia pilot's strike. laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11318 - 06/19/01 03:20 PM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Despite being the best paid pilots in Europe while working fewer hours than any of their colleagues, Iberia's pilots think they don't earn enough. In 1995 they earned around 15,000,000 pesetas a year. In 2001 they earn about 23,000,000 pesetas a year eek. That is, 8,000,000 pesetas more in just 5 years. What they are asking for now is 12% more for the "poor" salaries.

This strike is making Iberia loose 1,000,000,000 pesetas per day and is affecting thousands of customers (28,000 people were affected today according to the news reports).

By the way, the "average" salary in Spain is about 250,000 pesetas per month (note that I said "average". Most people here have much lower salaries). Iberia pilots earn nearly 2,000,000 pesetas per month. All people are wondering if it is fair to go on a strike to demand more money when they are among the best paid workers in Spain.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: If you are travelling with Iberia, check out their website for more information about the strike. Iberia.es

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#11319 - 06/19/01 08:12 PM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The pilots strike has hit the UK according to today's reports. Most flights will be hit on the routes from London Heathrow to Madrid and Barcelona. The report says that a series of 10 strikes are planned for the summer.

#11320 - 06/19/01 11:51 PM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
It hit the news today in Canada. It doesn't give me any comfort since i leave next week and return July 16. I'm doing the London to Madrid route. But from what I hear, this has become an annual summer saga.

#11321 - 06/20/01 05:02 AM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
They make 23 million a year? That is more than the prime minister makes. And MEEEEE! Bastards!

#11322 - 06/20/01 10:31 AM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
There's a couple of things I want from an airline. Happy pilots and happy mechanics. If they're happy, they don't go tearing around the sky like a kamikaze pilot, and they actually "repair the problems" on a plane.

The last thing I want a flight attendant to say after I ask them how long it takes to fly from Chicago to Madrid is; "I don't know, we've never made it yet." eek

Actually, $120K isn't that big of bucks for good pilots. As for less work hours, I buy that as well. The last thing we need is a few pilots who fall asleep behind the wheel... if you know what I mean. rolleyes

If the flight costs me $25 more, and I know the pilot wants to stay alive to enjoy his new Porsche... hell... I'm tickled pink.

Wolf (Who hates flying with pilots that are frowning.) frown

#11323 - 06/20/01 09:32 PM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Iberia has a roundtrip special Paris-Madrid for 57Euro. Too bad, because I was plotting to fly to Paris rather than directly to Madrid because it's cheaper, then fly to Madrid via Iberia. Oh, well...

#11324 - 07/06/01 11:00 PM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by nutkin on 07-06-2001 09:11 PM]

I talked to an Iberian airline agent today. He told me that the strike is for every Tuesday through August and that Tuesday travelers should contact Iberia the thursday prior to their trip in order to be taken care of. He was very matter of fact and said that fliers may be offered other flights from other airlines but may also be asked to fly on another day.
--------------------

Ian Williams

[NOTE: I have edited the previous message because the strike takes place on Tuesdays and not on Mondays. Be in touch with your travel agent because pilots are threatening with more days of strike]

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11325 - 07/07/01 08:40 AM Re: Iberia Pilot Strike Summer 2001
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
As Antonio, I can't understand such savage strike (think it is in summer, where Iberia has the most of its flights). They are very well payed people, so it is not understandable to go to strike to claim a 12% increase of salary.

They are doing a lot of damage to the tourism and to the customers :-(

Anyway, they are going to strike on July's tuesdays and August's mondays.

Regards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments