Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11286 - 06/04/01 01:24 AM Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Hello! Forgive me for any errors as I'm a new member. I will traveling to Madrid with my boyfriend at the end of this month. His flight arrives at 11:30 PM and we're wondering what would be the best way to get to the centre of the city at night. Would it be worth it to fork out the money for a taxi to the hotel at that time of night?

#11287 - 06/04/01 10:42 AM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
The METRO is very easy and cheap to use if you don't have a lot of luggage. Probably cost about $2.00 for both of you. Get a map at the airport for the metro system and you shouldn't have any problems.

#11288 - 06/04/01 05:27 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
Tricia Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Don't forget that 11:30 p.m. isn't really late for Madrid!.

#11289 - 06/04/01 06:54 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It may be a bit late for the subway , there are other alternatives like the aerocity service , the kind of airport shuttle you find in the States, and there is also an airport bus that will take from the airport into the city center, from which you could either take the tube or a much more economical taxi.

If you take a taxi from the airport to the city center after 11pm expect at least 3000pesetas depending on your suitcases. That will be a good price anyway, keep in mind that it will be around 2500 2700 for a Madrid born parson in the same circunstances.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11290 - 06/09/01 10:22 AM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Saturday, June 2nd I arrived Barajas airport on EasyJet flight 507 from London at 22:00. I had announced (in English & Spanish) at the departure lounge in London Luton airport that I was looking for someone to share a taxi to Estación sur de Autobus and a young lady took me up on the offer. We both spoke Spanish exclusively while travelling and the total fare (including supplements) was ESP 3.000, which we split. I caught a midnight bus to el Puerto de Santa Maria ( Socibus / Secorbus ) and she was scheduled for a 00:45 bus to Valladolid. The driver was courteous and helpful. No rip-off's here! smile

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#11291 - 06/10/01 08:40 AM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
We have just returned from Madrid and used the aerocity service to and from the airport, booked in advance over the net. They were on time and very courteous and you pay the driver at your destination. They lift your bags on and off the mini bus for you. Highly recommended. smile

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11292 - 06/17/01 03:00 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
CAN14 Offline

Thanks for all of the advice. When we return I'll let you know what wokred out.

#11293 - 07/19/01 10:04 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
CAN14 Offline

WARNING!!! The shuttle service to Carlos V and aerocity didn't work out. I waited 2 hours for the hotel shuttle and my boyfriend waited for the aerocity shuttle long enough to bite the bullet and take a cab.

#11294 - 07/20/01 05:11 AM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
aerocity Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi CAN14!
Did you make your reservation in advance or you just called us from the airport?
I know Hotel Carlos V have their own minivan serving most Best Western Hotels in Madrid, but we have nothing to do with that service.
Thank you for your comments.
Regards.

#11295 - 07/20/01 10:26 AM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
CAN14 Offline

Sorry aerocity. I waited two hours for the Carlos V shuttle and sat and watched as the other Best Western shuttle kept passing me by. They have two and only one of them actually goes to Carlos V. I will say that twice I was approached by one of your drivers to see if they could help me or drive me somewhere. One of them asked for a price that I knew from your web site was double the price than what your company would have normally asked. As for my boyfriend, he had made the reservation with areocity, so I don't really know what happened. In the end we got to our destination anyway. We aren't worried about it. I saw many people during my two hour wait that were receiving excellent service with aerocity.

#11296 - 07/20/01 01:12 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
I saw many people during my two hour wait that were receiving excellent service with aerocity.

You mean you saw the AeroCITY vans come and go??? You DO know that it's a shared shuttle service, don't you? Why didn't you get in the first AeroCITY van you saw? confused

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11297 - 07/20/01 01:16 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
CAN14 Offline

No, I didn't know that this was a shared service. But it wouldn't have mattered then anyway. I spent the first hour and a half asking every driver if they were going to my destination and I got negative responses every time and kept being told to wait for the one that said Carlos V on the side of the van. Now I know for next time.

#11298 - 07/20/01 02:10 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I have suggested to others on this board to take the metro, but for some reason, people hesitate to do it. I guess I understand if you have a lot of luggage. I take cabs all the time, but mostly because my company's paying for it. When I lived in the city, it just becomes part of your going out expense if you don't want to take the EL alone at night. All the cab companies in Madrid have to do is follow NYC's rules into Manhatten. Fifteen dollars any where on the island on your arrival. You're on your own going back, but at least you have a general idea of the cost. Of course the flat fee could be less in Madrid. I've taken cabs in Chicago, Boston, NYC, San Francisco and more, and feel that you can get ripped off anywhere. I feel like I'm getting ripped off just by getting a cab. The worst was Bangkok by far. Cab's are just not a good way to get around a major city. Public transportation is by far the best way. Madrid's metro is a breeze to use and fast. You can even prepare by Internet before you go. laugh

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Nic ]

#11299 - 07/20/01 05:49 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I made a reservation with AeroCity to take the shuttle to the bus station from the airport. We got to the van, there were 2 other passengers, but the driver had no record of our reservation. Luckily after asking the others if they minded, he took us anyway. We used AeroCity again on the way back from bus station to airport and he was there early and ready for us, that was very convenient.

#11300 - 07/24/01 04:44 AM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
aerocity Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi Majesty318!
I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with our services.
When we schedule arrival transfers from the airport, we first assign each service to one vehicle and driver. However, it can be possible that when the passanger arrives to the pick up point, he finds out other vans of our company with other services assigned for other clients. That can be the reason that that driver did not know about you. Anyway, it is always possible to hop on a different vehicle that the originally assigned, if the driver is authorized so from our control department (in order to not interfere much with other clients route).
Best regards.

#11301 - 07/24/01 12:21 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
lealanai Offline

Loc: massachusetts
When my daughter and I arrived at Barajas airport at about 10:30pm, we had no problems taking the Metro to our hotel on Paseo del Prado. We were pretty tired but I'd rather spend my pesetas on a good meal rather than a taxi!

#11302 - 07/24/01 07:29 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
whatever you do, do not go in an unmarked cab. they charge 5,000 pts. ridiculous. it cost warren and i 2,400 pts. with eight bags of luggage going to the airport on saturday afternoon from gran via and callao. if it is your first time to madrid, take the taxi. you are not going to want to walk to your destination when you just got off of a 6 or 10 hour plane ride. the metro is good, but not when you are just arriving from a long plane flight with tons of luggage and when you don't know where you are going. the most you should pay is 4,000 pts. for a taxi (around 28 bucks)...roses.

#11303 - 07/24/01 10:58 PM Re: Airport to Madrid city centre @ night
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
I agree Roses. Still, I think Aerocity might be better. A very low fee, safety and quickness. I used Aerocity on Saturday at 5 AM. Yes, AM. And it was only 2200 pesetas with three bags. It took me 15 min. to get to the airport from near Plaza Santa Domingo using Aerocity and picking up one other person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2014 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments