Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11155 - 05/08/01 09:08 AM Train, Madrid to Seville
wdc202 Offline

As I have not taken Spanish railroads before, can someone please help me on these points? I plan to go from Madrid to Seville on a Sunday this month.

a. I assume that I can buy my ticket at the station just before departure, right?

b. Is there a discount for people over 70? How does one request it?

c. Other than the time the journey takes, is there a significant difference in price and quality between the classes of service?

d. Do all the Madrid-Seville trains have dining rooms?

Thanks. ... wdc

#11156 - 05/08/01 12:26 PM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
First of all, the website for Renfe is www.renfe.es - it answers many of your questions. You can reserve tickets online or by calling 90 224 0202 which in the tourist season is not a bad idea. It's not very complicated.

I would go in the AVE to Sevilla, it only takes 2 hours and is as nice as trains get. However, there are slower clunkers if you so desire. On the website you want to look under 'Grandes Lineas' or 'AVE.'

First class (preferente) is a little bit nicer and not that much more expensive. As for discounts for being over 70, I am not sure at all about that.

There is food service on all the trains.

I take trains here all the time and they're pretty decent.

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]

#11157 - 05/08/01 01:47 PM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
I wouldn’t rely on being able to get a specific train time slot on the same day as that required. I’d book in advance if I were you and when you arrive to collect pre-booked tickets expect to wait in a queue in order to get the tickets. Allow half an hour to an hour.

#11158 - 05/08/01 03:07 PM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
wdc202 Offline

Thank you both. ...wdc

#11159 - 05/09/01 04:53 AM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
As one 'senior' to another: I tried for a 'tercer edad' discount on Renfe and was told that I needed a Tarjeta dorada (gold card). To my understanding such a card is not available to non-residents. rolleyes
Spanair does give a discount to seniors and buses operating under the Eurolines banner also.
The AVE (or Talgo-200) Madrid-Sevilla is an easy, comfortable 2.5 hour ride. The seats afford plenty of legroom although they are not 'recliners.' There is a smoking section and smoking is also allowed in the Cafeteria car (usually very crowded) where you can buy drinks & snacks. smile

There's a Renfe ticket office about 50m from the International Arrivals hall in Madrid's aeropuerto de Barajas. You might find it more convenient to buy your ticket(s) there

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#11160 - 05/10/01 10:39 AM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Willy on 5-10-01...]

I am also planning on taking the AVE from Madrid to Seville and have some additional questions.
Is a roundtrip ticket cheaper than two one ways? I know when I want to return, but due to the vagaries of air travel I can't say exactly when I will get to Atocha. I'm thinking I should book the return in advance and book the train to Seville when I get to Atocha.
Also, to get from Barajas airport to Atocha I'm planning on taking a taxi. Do I just walk out of the airport and look for one or are there special taxi stands. Thanks.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11161 - 05/10/01 10:40 AM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by mclarke on 5-10-01...]

Willy,

I believe when you purchase round-trip train ticket there is a discount. Once you get off custom, just go outside, and you will see taxis. However, try to find on this site, a company that provdies shuttle service (this shuttel service when you are a student, they give you a discount). It is lot a cheaper! When I took the cab from the airport to the city, I paid close to 5,000 pesetas.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11162 - 05/10/01 07:12 PM Re: Train, Madrid to Seville
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Willy,

It's always cheaper to buy a return ticket than to buy two one ways. This applies for trains, buses, planes and nearly everything.

On the AVE you can buy a open ticket. That is, you don't say when you are coming back but you buy a return ticket to get the discount. For more information about AVE discounts, check out the RENFE site.

By the way, there is even a previous post about discounts at the AVE where you'll find a link to that information. Please, use the SEARCH engine in this board before posting a question. Most of the times, it's been answered before.

Regards,

Antonio

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2685 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments