Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10976 - 04/08/01 03:39 PM Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
xtina Offline

Hello! I am traveling to Spain this summer with my husband. We are thinking of taking the metro from the airport to Puerta del Sol. We will have 3 pieces of carry-on luggage (2 backpack/on wheels and a small duffle bag) so we should be able to carry our luggage easily. We're booked in at the Hotel Carlos V (recommended by several on MM's site) which is about a 1/4 mile walk from the metro stop. I've heard that the metro is a good place to get mugged (if there is a such a thing as a good place for it). Do you think it wise to take the metro, luggage in hand, or would you recommend the taxi or Aerocity Shuttle. Thanks for any advice!

[ 04-15-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#10977 - 04/08/01 03:54 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, xtina--
We had a great experience with the metro from Gran Via to Barajas airport in early March. You'll probably have to change lines once or twice (we had to change two times), but that's really easy too. In general, the Metro felt safe and clean, with relatively well-marked tracks. Obviously, you would want to pick up a little metro map at Barajas, plot out your route, and then "walk with a purpose" (as my dad always says) rather than stopping and checking maps every few moments. And plan on about 45 minutes to 1 hour en route.

Have fun!
Tara

#10978 - 04/08/01 04:45 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
I've used the metro a few months ago with some luggage going to the Puerta del Sol. My observation is that with easily lifted carry-on bags you should have no problem with traveling via the metro. Obviously travel by aerocity or taxi right to the door of the hotel is much more convenient.
At certain times of the day (like rush hours) the subway cars can be quite full with a lot of people moving thru the passageways in the stations where transfers to other lines are being made.
As always in any crowded area in any large city you should be alert to the possibility of pickpockets. I kept in the front cars which were less crowded than the middle of the train.

#10979 - 04/08/01 08:42 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
xtina Offline

Thanks so much for the reassurance! I think we'll go with the metro.

#10980 - 04/11/01 06:58 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
WOM Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI USA
I must step in here and third the sentiments of JDR and taravb: the Metro is the ONLY way to go. And it really is a breeze. In your case, you'll get on Line 8 (Aeropuerto) and take it to Line 4, getting off at Mar de Cristal. Look for the signs that say Arguelles -- that's the direction you want. It's a pretty good jaunt from Mar de Cristal to Bilbao, where you'll get off and transfer to Line 1. At this point, you're home free. You'll want to hop on a car going in the direction of Congosto. From there it's just three stops to Sol. Remember, on the Metro, the last stop represents the direction of the line.

If you plan to use the Metro frequently in Madrid (and you should) buy a Bonobus (745 pesetas) instead of a single ticket (145 pesetas) as it gives you 10 rides.

My wife, two teenage daughters, and I traveled all over Madrid by Metro (including from the airport to Anton Martin, two stops past Sol)just a month ago. It's clean, fast, safe, and an amazing place to people watch.

Hasta luego.

#10981 - 04/11/01 07:06 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
lis Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Can my partner and I use the same bono of tickets between us ? Can we buy it on arrival at Barajas ? On Saurday - ie we leave tomorrow and I only have a few more hours of work !!! (Sorry couldnt help myself) laugh

#10982 - 04/11/01 10:00 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Yes, my husband and I split our metro ticket--just put it in the machine, walk through, and when it pops up at the other side, hand it back to your friend. And I am sure you can buy those in machines at Barajas. There may be a staffed booth there too.

Have fun!

#10983 - 04/11/01 11:42 PM Re: Metro from Barajas Airport to Puerta del Sol (Madrid) - a good idea?
WOM Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI USA
There's definitely a ticket booth at the entrance to the airport's Metro stop. Incidentally, you don't even have to keep track of how many times you use your bonobus: The top of the turnstile has a little window through which the number of rides remaining is displayed each time you pass though.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2678 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments