Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10930 - 04/04/01 12:39 PM Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just read in "The Rough Guide to Spain" that the route Ronda-Algeciras is very scenic and "worth going out of your way to experience". My question is, would it be better (in terms of scenery) to take the bus or the train?? Or does it even matter?
Also, my plan is to leave early morning from Ronda, do a daytrip to Gibraltar, and then continue on to Cadiz. I can do Gibraltar in a day, right? confused

SusiLaGallega

#10931 - 04/04/01 01:08 PM Re: Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
scottr Offline

Loc: nc
I have been on the train a few times from Rhonda to Algericas and it is quite stunning. Have never been on the bus but the train is so easy and cheap that is what i would recomend. Easy trip- about 2 hours if memory is correct. Have never been to Gibraltar- Algericas isn't my fav place but i found it had some character once i explored it a bit. If you are going to be that far south; consider morocco- it is truly amazing.

#10932 - 04/05/01 08:40 AM Re: Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
SusiLaGallega Offline

Thanks for the info scottr!
I was looking through the Renfe website and noticed that the route from Ronda to Algeciras stops at La Linea... does anyone know if this sounds right? Would it be better for me to get off at La Linea - does anyone know if La Linea has luggage storage??? confused
And how about the bus - has anyone else taken this route by bus?

Thanks for your help!

SusiLaGallega

#10933 - 04/05/01 09:02 AM Re: Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
If you really wnat to see Gibraltar, then La Linea is the border town. Not sure where the train station is and I would doubt they had luggage storage facilities. Keep your wits about you in this town, which, although I haven't walked round it for a long time, reminds me of the lawless place long ago west of the Pecos where Judge Roy Bean once was boss! I know mclarke disagrees with this view - if you find her posting about the place, you'll see she had a wonderful time there. (Where are you these days, mc, by the way?)

The train journey is very pleasant, though. Again, I haven't wandered round for a long time, but I think the best thing about Algeciras is the by-pass which runs around it, as you drive towards Tarifa and in the direction of Cadiz.

#10934 - 04/05/01 12:51 PM Re: Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Susi - Last January, my daughter and I took a bus from Granada to Algeciras and stayed one night in Algeciras at Hostal Lopez; then we took a bus from Algeciras to LaLinea to see the Rock of Gilbratar but was not able to go in because my daughter did not have her passport. The view was spectacular! Seeing mountains on one side and on the other side the oceanview! We explored La Linea by foot (from the Rock to the center of town). We took some extra precaution when we were in Algeciras. We did a very limited exploring. Why don't you take a train to La Linea and then take a bus to Cadiz? Tell us which view is better!
Anchovy - I'm here but lately been busy with work! I thought I would be able to return this June to explore Costa del Sol - but my daughter did not get the internship in Madrid but instead I will be exploring New York city this summer where she will do her intership.
Susi, I hope you will enjoy Spain as much as I enjoyed the cities and people,.

#10935 - 04/05/01 03:20 PM Re: Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
SusiLaGallega Offline

Thanks for your responses! Mclarke, I think I will take your advice - train from Ronda-Algeciras and then the bus from Algeciras-Cadiz. The thing is, I want to see Gibraltar in the span of about 4 hours... do you think this is enough time to see the basics? Hope so, 'cause my schedule only allows that much time for Gibraltar - give or take an hour... frown

SusiLaGallega

#10936 - 04/05/01 03:38 PM Re: Scenery from Ronda to Algeciras (bus or train?)
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Susi,

Because we did not enter the Rock, I do not know how long it would take to see the sights inside the Rock. The bus station is a ten minute walk from the gate. As soon as you arrive LaLinea, check the bus schedule for Cadiz. We also enjoyed Cadiz very much. I hope you will tase Cadiz's specialty - the assorted fried seafood. Take care.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments