Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10785 - 03/12/01 08:28 PM Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
gah712 Offline

Loc: Austin TX - US
There's not a requirement in Spain for an International Driver's License, is there? I didn't think so, but a friend just made me panic!

#10786 - 03/12/01 09:25 PM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
According to MadridMan's Local Transportation link, an international driver's license is required in Spain. In the Lonely Planet Guide it says that it is required although in practice, for renting cars or dealing with traffic police, your national license will suffice.

It is easy to get one at any AAA office.

#10787 - 03/12/01 10:01 PM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Go pay the $10 rip off at a AAA office and get the damn thing: if the police stop you and you don't have it, the fines are high. Some rental companies also require them (Hertz, for example).

#10788 - 03/12/01 10:04 PM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I ALWAYS get the $10 International Drivers License from AAA, but have also heard that it's not needed. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

Keep your wits about you as you're keeping to the right of the highway and pass QUICKLY if at all. Nothing like being surprised by those flashing lights in your rearview mirror where there was no car in sight just 2 seconds before. VAROOOM!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10789 - 03/13/01 07:04 AM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It's an International Driving Permit & it's only good in conjunction with your Driver's License from your home country. It's printed in several languages so that, if you are stopped by the police, it's got something they can read and understand. I carry an expired one when I am driving my relatives' car (they are only valid for 1-year) - but I have never been stopped in Spain. Even though it's expired, it still gives them what they need.

#10790 - 03/13/01 07:52 AM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
You can't go wrong for $10, and it also acts as a conduit for temporary insurance. With the Int'l license they can check your driving record by computer and the rates are lower.

It may be a rip off to an extent, but it's used as a reinforcement by police that you are in fact a licensed driver in your home country, as well as (like MM said)a method of bridging language gaps.

Also... at the same time... if you intend to rent a car... check on insurance that you can purchase before you leave. It is often cheaper than what you can find after you arrive in Spain. In fact, if you hunt around, you just might save as much as half. It will also reflect your Int'l DL on the face of the policy you carry with you, and just might come in handy, even if you are not responsible for an accident, should one happen.

Always consider "bail bond" as part of your insurance package. You may not have an extra $1,000 or more to lay down to guarantee you'll show up in court if it's required by the ticket, assuming you get one.

It's always better to guarantee yourself a relaxed vacation instead of one that leaves you in a state of panic over a few bucks.

Wolf

#10791 - 03/13/01 10:36 AM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I'm renting a car for 9 days in Madrid next month. All the rental places I have talked to said that yes, the int'l driving permit is required. I think $10 is a small price to pay for not having to deal with the issue if it becomes an issue. Also...I found that if I rent with a gold/platinum card the cc company will cover all international car rentals for collision coverage. This does not apply to the standard visa. Buying the rental car company's insurance would have cost over half of the rental price itself!

Leche

#10792 - 03/13/01 04:47 PM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Here is some information regarding this matter at the Dirección General de Tráfico .

Always remember to check the official sites. Don't rely on other sources of information since laws are changing all the time.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10793 - 03/13/01 05:27 PM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Antonio.... don't forget WHO is renting you the car. The spanish gov't does not rent you the car...it's Hertz, Avis, etc. So if Hertz says you need an int'l driver's license as one of their rental policies like they told me you should get it to avoid trouble at the check out counter. That's a hassle I don't need.

SO -> you should always check with the rental car company (too).

[This message has been edited by Leche (edited 03-13-2001).]

#10794 - 03/13/01 06:05 PM Re: Int'l driver's license (necessary?)
connie Offline

Just for the sake of information (you can find this also by clicking on the link provided by Antonio), a driver's license issued by any EU country is recognized in all the other EU members, if you have such a driver's license, there is no need for an international one.
If you establish your residency in Spain, you have to exchange your original one for a Spanish one within six months, but without a driving exam etc. However, looking at EC directive http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/lif/dat/1991/en_391L0439.html , I think the exchange cannot be demanded if you have a license that conforms with the new standard (the "EU driver's license") issued after 1.1.1999. They can require, though, that information is added by the local authorities concerning validity etc. Does anyone have experience in this regard?

[This message has been edited by connie (edited 03-13-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2679 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments