Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10436 - 07/25/01 11:34 PM Re: To drive or not to drive?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Pookita & Wolf:

I think 'ey' is more of the 'oo-ey' that I heard SO much and ended up picking up from Andalucians. (NO I didn't get a great accent, NO I didn't come back with killer vocab, but when I'm struggling to reach something or leaning over to tie my shoes, I do come out, unbeknownst to me, with a nice big 'oo-ey'like a true Granadina!!)

Sorry to the original poster, I don't know anything about car rentals though!! (Does the fact that I mentioned the word 'car' in this response qualify this for "ON TOPIC"?)

Oh, and Wolf, there's nothing wrong with going on a Griswold family vacation- in fact that's what I did 2 years ago in Italy, as long as they don't twirl with arms out to the side on the hills in La Mancha, by the windmills, in full 'gitana' garb singing 'The hills are alive with the sound of Griswold...'

Granada"Just call me Ellen Griswold"Girl

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

#10437 - 07/26/01 07:04 AM Re: To drive or not to drive?
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
You guys have all wrong! The Clark Griswold School of Vacation Planning trains an individual to prepare family vacations.

My three daughters gave this distinction because our vacations are not the average. Have you ever taken a family camping trip out west without driving on the freeway? You miss alot scenery! We have pitched our tent, or spent the night in some of the most interesting spots in the USA, especially if it is not near a major road. Have you ever spent the night in a haunted house? We like to walk off the road a few miles to picnic, and we avoid the crowds as much as possible. Did you know there is a small stand of Giant Sequoias 1.5 miles off the main road in Yosemite, very few people visit. I will plan our activites for every day, some quite unordinary.

Our family vacations are made for quality time for my wife and my three daughters. They must enjoy it, because all three are coming to Andalucia with me. My daughters ages are 23, 21, and 21, and they pay there own way too.

What do they look forward to? Where is he going to take us next? Like Clark, I'm a man obsessed with my family enjoying their vacation.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: gsobotta ]

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: gsobotta ]

#10438 - 07/26/01 07:23 AM Re: To drive or not to drive?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ahem! wink Topic: "To drive or not to drive?: Should I rent a car and drive?" (in Spain) <tapping foot and strumming fingers on desk>

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10439 - 07/26/01 09:38 AM Re: To drive or not to drive?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
gso,

Your plan actually sounds great. My wife and I have found that the real Spain is located in all the small towns and villages far from the tourist tracks. These are the places and people that reflect what Spain really is, and the food is about as good as it gets.

Renting a car and paying the parking in the major cities doesn't make sense. But renting them on a day basis, or even a couple of days, to get off the beaten path works well.

In fact, you might find that being able to travel around specific areas will give you a wealth of information about future trips. Places you can stay that are not only reasonable, but downright inexpensive. Just don't leave behind a wasteland like Clark Griswold. I wanna go back and enjoy the countryside!

Wolf (Putting on his tape of "Der Yoopers" singing "Rusty Chevrolet," & "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer," in honor of our members from Michigan.) rolleyes

#10440 - 07/26/01 06:18 PM Re: To drive or not to drive?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
GS-

Clark Griswold did drive (NOTE to MM: ON TOPIC!!) across country, and that sounds like a great idea for Spain too. I have always wanted to do that myself, but have been too chicken to go it alone or my companions are too wimpy! (But I can't drive standard cars! But I don't want to get pulled over by the guardia civil!) I'm not implying that you'll get pulled over by the Guardia Civil, but that's always been a fear of ours for some reason.

Buena suerte!!

GG laugh

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments