MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10306 - 01/09/01 04:05 PM MADRID TO SEVILLA
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
I've just been looking on the AVE high speed
train web-site & it appears that you have to ring thru to book seats. Is that correct?
Also the price seems to be about 9900 pts each with some discount for ida y vuelta.

#10307 - 01/09/01 04:55 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It looks like you're correct, steveaqui. I just checked the RENFE site myself and 9900pts for turista class is what it costs for the 2.5 hour AVE train trip.

Too book/buy online, click on TIKNET (the computer mouse graphic). Not sure if you can reserve without actually buying them online though. Maybe Antonio knows something more about this. Antonio!?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10308 - 01/09/01 07:11 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
You can travel cheaper if you take off-peak trains ("valle" trains), but there are only 3 "valle" trains each way a day.

You can buy the ticket online but only from 7 to 22 Spain time. If you have any problem, you can contact the customer's service (during that time).

I don't think you can book a ticket without paying it. However, you can always buy your tickets from the Renfe office at Alcalá, 44 in the city centre.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 01-10-2001).]

#10309 - 01/10/01 01:39 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
steveaqui Offline

Thanks MadridMan & Antonio,
I'm off to Sevilla,Cordaba & Cadiz in April & I'm 50/50 so far on hiring a car or using the train. Looks like I'll be able to see the Semana Santa festival in Sevilla during my time there.

#10310 - 01/11/01 01:36 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
SpecialFX Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Madridman, Antonio, or steveaqui:
Do any of you know the availability of AVE tickets at the time of departure? Basically, I know the general day when I'll be traveling from Madrid to Sevilla, but if possible I'd rather not buy the ticket in advance and be committed to a certain time of departure. But if it is a big hassle, or is often full, I would rather buy in advance for convenience sake. By the way Madridman, great site - it is making the planning for my first Spain visit much easier!

#10311 - 01/11/01 02:03 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
steveaqui Offline

SpecialFX,

I've currently got the same problem.
If I book in advance I will have to allow enough time for possible plane delays and trafiic in Madrid.
I'm also exploring if it's possible to break the journey at Cordaba and continue to Sevilla a few days later.

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 01-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 01-11-2001).]

#10312 - 01/11/01 02:59 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Check the RENFE website to be sure, but I would think there would be several AVE trains going to/from Madrid/Sevilla on any given day. So, if you get shut out of one you could try another. Remember, the fast AVE is the "rich person's train" and there are fewer of these people in Spain than other countries. Plus, if you're not traveling during a weekend or holiday your chances are much much better of finding available seats. Maybe Antonio can confirm this.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10313 - 01/11/01 04:27 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I took AVE from Madrid to Sevilla in early May and bought my ticket the day before at Atocha. It was a valle train and there was plent of room. It was a great trip, just hold on to something if you're standing as the train rounds a turn! There were some 'G' forces at work!

Also, you can get off and on at any stop, and continue a few days later if you wish.

[This message has been edited by Kurt (edited 01-11-2001).]

#10314 - 01/11/01 06:00 PM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Here you will find a link to a page on Renfe website with information about the AVE.

Check also this information about changes and refunds. Did you know you can change your ticket for the same day at a different time for free?.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10315 - 01/12/01 06:50 AM Re: MADRID TO SEVILLA
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
To Steveaqui and SpecialFX:
In September I tried to buy tickets and reservations on an AVE (Valle) a day in advance but it was fully booked. I had to settle for an AVE (llano) an hour later.
Sometimes there will be seats available in a 'smoking' car when all the 'non-smoking' are booked. It's only 2.5 hours and you have to walk thru the smoking car to get to the Cafeteria-car (lots of smoking there) in any case. So, if I were traveling by myself I would ask if there were seats available in a smoking car.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2948 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments