MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10170 - 12/01/00 09:41 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Anchovy Front - You won the tickets, huh? Fill me in a bit on the English language radio station - I spent a lot of years in radio and tv from on air news reporting to sales to writing. directing & producing commercials ( multi-talented) Sound like I'm looking for employment - any kind - did you say those tents needed someone to clean??? When you and your wife were in Boston did you get to the North End (Paul Revere and 1 if by land, etc.)? Seeing as I am getting somewhat serious about swapping houses and/or opening doors to follow board members - thats the area I live in -

#10171 - 12/01/00 11:27 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I'll post something about the radio on the Spain Related Media forum, Puna, so I don't disrupt the original thread here too much!

I'm trying to think where you mean by North End. I remember we stayed in Back Bay in an elegant old hotel called the Copley Plaza, I think?

#10172 - 12/01/00 11:58 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

You're right about Back Bay, elegant and Copley Plaza - the radio station came through with a quality promotion. The North End lacks the elegance but is filled with history and charm. Did you get to Fanieul Hall and Quincy Market? If so, the North End is just ocean-side of the "historic" buildings mentioned. It's where Paul Revere lived and rang the famous bell - "one if by land/two if by sea" - Old North Church, lots of Italian restaurants, etc. Does that help at all in orienting you to the area?
BTW Thanks also for posting the radio info in a separate thread

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 12-01-2000).]

#10173 - 12/01/00 10:38 PM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
mjames8258 Offline

Loc: houston, texas u.s.a.
Talking about getting TOTALLY off the subject! I had asked for a bit of guidance and ended up in the middle of some intimate chat. Unfortunately, I am still wondering about the topic of my post! Can we maybe discuss what one would expect IF they took a day trip to Morocco?????

#10174 - 12/03/00 07:27 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
nevado Offline

I personally think Morocco deserves more than a day, but if that's all you have, you can either take a tour or do it on your own. If you decide to take a tour, you won't have to worry about getting harassed but they will occupy your every moment. There will be no time for meandering. You will be only allowed to shop in the few stores they take you to. The guides get a cut on anything you buy so they take you to mostly high-end carpet stores. If you're going to Morocco for the pleasure of shopping and wandering the marketplace- I wouldn't suggest a tour. But be warned, someone will be approaching you to be your guide from the time you leave the ferry to the time you board the ferry. If you just want to basically see the city and have a meal without being harassed, take the tour.

#10175 - 12/04/00 10:29 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

I apologize! Is it at all possible for you to spend more than one day in Morocco? Marrakesh (sp?), Fez and Rabat as well as the coast are well worth seeing. I believe someone suggested ensuring a guide to accompany you if you head into the older quarters - a very good suggestion. Morocco is beautiful - possibly a bit intimidating unless you're comfortable with traveling and feeling "foreign" - well worth a visit. If you have only the one day - go and enjoy!

#10176 - 12/04/00 12:08 PM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
No, I'm sorry, mjames8258, it's my fault! I tried to answer your question and then got sidetracked and I hang my head in shame...

I have to also eat humble pie about knocking Gibraltar. It's a while since I was there and it has really improved beyond recognition. They are making big efforts there and it should be recognised. So sorry to Gibraltar too!

I have always wanted to go to Marrakesh, and one way it can be done is to take the train, (the Marrakesh Express?), which used to leave Tangier at about 10 pm and travel overnight. The nightlife in the square in the city is supposed to be extraordinary, with jugglers, fire-eaters, snake charmers, acrobats and storytellers all coming out when dusk falls and you can eat from an amazing array of food stalls. One day I'll get there!

If you are going on a day trip, then Nevado has said exactly what everyone who has ever been has told me. Sorry again!

#10177 - 12/05/00 06:44 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
For all you Marrakech 'wanabees:' The name of the main square in Marrakech is Djema al Fna, which translates to 'Gate of the Sun' (Puerta del Sol, for you Spain-o-philes). It has always been a: 'one of these days I am going to try to establish a connection' type of thing for me.

I visited there several times but the snake charmers were not allowed on the Square. One had to go to the rooftop terrace of the Cafe de Paris to see them. And when one dumps his basket of snakes at your feet, it's pucker time.

#10178 - 12/10/00 11:55 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
I'll have to disagree with the folks who warn others away from Gibraltar- it was definitely one of the high points on our trip. The taxi tour is recommended (but bloody expensive for two people- 38 quid).

Definitely park in La Linea- the queue getting in and out with your car is horrendous- Spain should be ashamed of itself for that. If I had the time, I would have filed a complaint with the EU (as so conveniently provided for by the Gibraltarian gov't- no love lost on either side, that's clear ).

All that said, I'd doubt it would be much more than a day trip. Main Street seems a real zoo, but you need to traverse it to get to most places of interest. The entire thing can be walked (and really, hasn't everyone wanted to walk across a runway before?), but if you want to go up the Rock, a taxi is recommended.

And yes, the apes were there- cheeky fellows who have no problem jumping on you if they think you've something to eat. Even try to dig in your pocket unless you point out there's nothing worth eating in there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2478 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments