Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10055 - 11/01/00 02:08 PM Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
mahceee Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, US
A friend and I will be renting a car to travel to either Galicia or Asturias. I have a couple of questions. First, I have heard from a fellow friend that lives in Spain that it would not be safe due to the Madrid plates. Is this true? Second, we do not have international driver licenses. I don't think this would be a problem, but I'm not sure. Finally, what would be a good estimate for a daily rate with several miles?

#10056 - 11/01/00 02:18 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
the rental rates i would say vary alot, you would just need to call around. I rented an Opel Corsa for $120.00 for 2 weeks, through avis. i don't know about the plate thing, i rented my car in barcelona, it had barcelona plates on it, and i went to madrid and andalucia, didn't seem to encounter problemns because of the plates. And you can obtain a internationl driver's licsense through AAA for $10.00. You should place this post in the TRANSPORTATION forum, it would be more suitable for people to find the topic and help you. adios!!!!!!!!!!1

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#10057 - 11/01/00 02:39 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ummm... I rest my case . I'll move it at the end of the day.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10058 - 11/01/00 02:54 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
ya i didn't want to move this post cause i felt it is not my place, so i just make the suggestion.

#10059 - 11/16/00 10:03 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
coxinga Offline

Loc: East Brunswick, New Jersey, US...
I also rented from Avis. Picked up the car at Barajas Airport in Madrid. Drove to Segovia and returned it at one of several Avis rental locations in downtown Madrid on Gran Via the next day. I think my rental car had a Euro plate, (Is there such a thing?) a blue flag with a circle of stars.

I wasn't that concerned about safety. But was worried about the potential of being involved in an accident, being in a foreign country and all and was warned about the crazy Spanish drivers. So I bought full collision coverage. It turned out, my perception anyway, the Spanish drivers were no more crazier than this American with a lead foot.

And Avis didn't ask for my Int'l driver license, even though I had it in my bag. I only showed him my New Jersey driver's license.

coxinga

#10060 - 11/18/00 09:10 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Attention U.S. drivers (and to whomever else this applies): you DO need that international driver's license in Spain if stopped and a policia aks for it... fines are huge if you don't. Worth the $10 ripoff (the thing only lasts a year) to get it. Rates are best obtained by comparing the biggies in car rental: Avis, Hertz, Auto Europe (which is Budget or something). I paid around $300 for 2 weeks with an automatic car in high summer season and had no problems! Safety: never ever leave valuables visible. Nothing. All luggage goes in the locked trunk. And don't carry around real valuables in a rental car anyway (leave grandma's necklace at home).

#10061 - 11/20/00 10:03 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
License plates from Madrid (or any other Spanish city) won't attract attention - the Spanish drive all over their country. Do peal off any sticker that has the name of the rental car company - just like you do in the US.

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 11-20-2000).]

#10062 - 11/20/00 07:12 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Puna,

I regret to tell you that license plates from Madrid will attract attention if you travel to Barcelona. In fact, I wouldn't leave our family car - it has a license plate from Madrid - outside in the street in Barcelona.

There has been a long hate? relationship between Madrid and Barcelona and some people (obviously very few people) might do something to a car with the "enemy" plate. I hope you don't think it's very dangerous but you may have problems.

It also happens with cars having license plates from the Basque country as well.

For all those reasons, the government decided to introduce the new European style of license plates. They show the EU flag (twelve stars over a blue background) with the letter "E" for "España".

I've also seen plates from Portugal, Italy, France, Germany showing the EU flag and the initial of the country.

Regards,

Antonio

#10063 - 11/21/00 06:07 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey, Antonio:
On my most recent visit to Spain (September) I was told that the 'matriculas' were being changed to add an additional number because they simply had run out of numbers. The EU thing turns out to be something whose time had come: a nice embellishment.
BTW
My wife's cousin has lived in Pontevedra for the past 20-years and still has his old Seat with Madrid matricula. He also has a newer Seat (Toledo) with PO on it.

I thought the 'hate' relationship between Barcelona and Madrid was just a futbol thing.

The original poster said they plan to drive to Galicia or Asturias. Assuming that they take the usual precautions, do you think they will have any problem?

#10064 - 11/21/00 10:38 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Antonio, Thank you. I stand corrected - suppose it is easy to tell I spend the bulk of my time in Madrid - east, west and south - especially south. Much as I liked the northern part of Spain, I usually travel in February and March as it is not crowded with other visitors and warmer than Boston! I just can't bring myself to head to where it's cold when I'm escaping from that cold!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2458 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments