Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10029 - 10/31/00 12:05 PM Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Menina Offline

Loc: Mpls, MN USA
I need to buy a train/bus ticket IMMEDIATElY from Madrid to Barcelona for the 19th of November. I was planning on doing it when I arrived but I have to buy it now. I have gone to the Renfe site and have had no luck. Does anybody know how I can purchase a ticket either on-line or over the phone?

#10030 - 10/31/00 12:56 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
For Bus/Train transportation between Madrid and Barcelona you can read the, non-descriptive subject line (and you all know how I feel about this. hehhee) entitled " transportation " in this forum from last month. Antonio does a great job describing the two (including the bus website link).

Why you say you went to the RENFE train site and had "no luck", what did you mean??? You mean you couldn't successfully buy the tickets through their website? Because I'm pretty sure you can. I don't know if you can buy them over the phone or not.

Best of luck! And please keep us posted in this, your thread when you make your purchase and then again, if you have time, upon returning and tell us about the tranportation you chose. Thanks!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10031 - 10/31/00 02:02 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Gen Offline

Loc: North Brunswick, NJ 08902
Menina,

I just got back from Spain and traveled from Barcelona to Madrid. When I compared pricing, flying was around the same price but much faster. I flew with Air Europa but you should check Iberia too.

The ticket cost me around$130.00 US and the flight was only 1 hour.

#10032 - 10/31/00 04:07 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Gen,

I think $130 for a round trip Madrid - Barcelona is quite expensive. You can do it with Iberia for only $60.

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10033 - 10/31/00 10:56 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Gen Offline

Loc: North Brunswick, NJ 08902
Yes Antonio, you are correct. It actually cost me only $53.00 US. Sorry about the error Menina. It actually cost me $130.00 for two plane trips and a bus ride.

So flying was definitely the way to go.

#10034 - 11/01/00 02:32 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Menina Offline

Loc: Mpls, MN USA
Thank you for the information. The problem is I only need a one-way ticket which Iberia is pricing at $100. I think I will buy a train ticket which is listed at $54 on the Renfe web-site. I would prefer to wait to buy it when I got to Madrid but unfortunately, I have to buy it now and will end up paying the agecny another $20 for reservations and shipping. I know you probably think for that price, I should just fly but I've never been to Spain and I want to see the countryside, etc. Thank you all for the info! I'll be in Spain for an undetermined amount of time. I'll check this site reguarely for ant help I can provide! Watch out Spain, here I come!

#10035 - 11/01/00 03:21 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Menina,

If you can't wait until you are in Madrid, then you can't take the Iberia offert. You're supposed to buy the tickets in Spain (I guess, providing that you collect them in Spain within 72 hours, they aren't likely to check whether you buy them from abroad).

Check it with your travel agent because Spaniar and Air Europa are offering also good deals to fly to Barcelona.

And remember that, buying a round trip ticket doesn't mean you are going to come back :-) Sometimes a round trip ticket is cheaper than one way. Buy it and don't use the return ticket.

Antonio

#10036 - 11/16/00 02:34 AM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Huiyu Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I checked Iberia site, there is no such cheap fare(USD60) from Madrid to Barcelona for return.Is it because I requested flight date is January of next year? or the season difference made that?

#10037 - 11/16/00 05:21 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

I've checked it and it seems that Iberia special offers are slightly more expensive during December but I found $63.22 return from Madrid to Barcelona departing on January 8th and coming back on the 15th.

Note that you have to buy the tickets online and through the Spanish version of the Iberia site.

Anyway, Spanair and Air-Europa have also good offers available at any travel agency.

The Madrid - Barcelona route is always very busy. You can read this article (in Spanish only) about it. The new record is 13898 passengers between those cities in one day (October 26th)!!.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10038 - 11/16/00 08:57 PM Re: Train/Bus from Madrid to Barcelona
coxinga Offline

Loc: East Brunswick, New Jersey, US...
When I flew from Barcelona to Madrid last week on Iberia. The one way ticket was purchased in the US less than one week in advance for the price of something like $57. Because of the short lead time, Iberia simply told me to get my ticket from any local travel agency in the US, which I did.

I would not take the train ride for 8 hours between Madrid and Barcelona if I can fly in one hour and it only costs $57.

coxinga

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1859 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments