Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87279 - 05/07/10 10:58 AM Bus to Alhambra
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
We are taking the bus to Granada and then will be going directly to the Alhambra. Can anyone tell us which bus to take to the Alhambra from the station that ALSA will arrive at in Granada? Does a bus leave from the same stop or station? Thanks,

Elaine

#87280 - 05/07/10 12:14 PM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
http://www.granadatur.com/en/travel-transport/moving-around-in-granada/

Last year I went to Granada by bus (from Madrid) and found it comfortable - albeit long. Thank goodness for MP3 players.

As far as I know, Granada only has one bus station, located on the Avenida de Juan Pablo II, on the northern (slightly western) end of town. As you walk out of the station you'll see the main road in front of you. There, directly beside the bus station is the city bus stop. Stay at the one on the same side of the street as the bus station with traffic going towards your right - towards downtown.

There, you'll get bus #3 (1.20€ - they'll make change for small bills or 2€ coins if you don't have exact change). Get off near on the last stop on the Gran Vía de Colón, right near the T-corner with Calle Reyes Catolicos - which is the same stop right next to the Granada Cathedral.

Get off the bus, continue walking in the same direction as the bus to the corner. You've come to a "T" in the road and there you'll see the magnificent statue/fountain of Isabel & Ferdinand on the Plaza de Isabel la Católica in front of you.

Cross the street as you can with the fountain on your right. I BELIEVE now (because of road works on the normal route leaving from the Plaza Nueva) here is where you'll get the #30 bus (1.20€) going up to the Alhambra right on this small plaza. The bus will go uphill on Calle Pavaneras, going left-straight from the plaza-fountain (which is on your right).

As I said, this is a temporary route, modified because of the road works on the original route. Be sure to look at Google Maps as well as Google Street View to see what you'll be seeing - before you see it on the spot!

If you have any more questions, just ask!

Saludos, GranadaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87282 - 05/07/10 03:08 PM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I remember from the bus station take bus number 33 to Gran Via 1 (near the cathedral), and there take the number 32 to Alhambra

#87284 - 05/07/10 03:46 PM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: jazz]
jacmom Offline

Thank you MM and Jazz, your detailed information will be a great help. Luckily, Julie is quite fluent so she can ask questions, but her way with geography is not . . . And, of course, it is more difficult when you are in a new place.

MadridMan, your information from your trip last year was helpful also. We had certainly not known about getting the tickets early to the Alhambra, that would have been complete disappointment if we had not made the purchase early. We were surprised that the tickets were scarce when we bought them several weeks ago, thinking May would not be quite as heavy with tourists.

All the best,

Elaine

PS Note I posted in the correct forum, finally! haha

#87285 - 05/07/10 06:04 PM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: jacmom]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
jacmon, enjoy the la Alhambra..

Mother to her son Boabdil:cries as a woman, what you didn't defend like a man." llora como mujer lo que no has sabido defender como hombre""

#87288 - 05/08/10 08:02 AM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: jazz]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
better have your tickets to the alhambra ahead of time at www.alhambra-patronato.es
and MM covered the bus route well. from the Plaza Nueva you can walk about 800 meters to the it along Cuesta de Gomerez, which is what I did, nice walk and see the city.

#87291 - 05/08/10 08:58 AM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: pedmar]
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I love this place, it was amazing! Seeing pomegranates growing was really cool too...I especially loved the gardens...Enjoy!

#87292 - 05/08/10 01:44 PM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: Kipper]
jacmom Offline

So 800 meteters is about a half a mile, I think. It might be a nice walk after sitting on the bus for 5 1/2 hours, but then it will be quite a bit at the Alhambra itself.

Our tickets are for about 2 hours after the bus is do to arrive in Granada, so we will need to be quick. Julie is going to see if she can pick up the tickets somewhere in Madrid. We hope that is possible.

#87295 - 05/08/10 03:40 PM Re: Bus to Alhambra [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's true. I didn't mention the possibility of walking the 800 meters - ALL UPHILL, and kind of steep - from the Plaza Nueva to the Alhambra entrance. It's a beautiful, green walk if you have the strength to make it.

Take a video walk up the commercial part of the Cuesta de Gomeréz hill via the YouTube video, "Camino a La Alhambra, Cuesta de Gomeréz:

After watching this video, posted just last month, I see the construction is finished(!) - and that through traffic is not allowed so it seems the street is now completely pedestrian. That was news to me!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2520 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments