MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#29702 - 11/01/02 07:47 AM favorite desserts in Spain
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Hi everyone...
In school a few days ago, we had to write down a dessert that is part of our culture. I was beginning to write flan, but then I thought that maybe I could be a little more creative (even though flan IS amazing!)
Does anyone have any ideas?
thanx smile ~Marisa~

#29703 - 11/01/02 08:15 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
CREMA CATALANA !!!!! Yummmmm... Had this the first time in Barcelona's Barrio Gótico in some little, old place which was famous for this, had won many many awards for it, and was in all the guide books too, I think. Good stuff. (see link with recipe)

There's nothing more delicious and simple as fresa con nata. (sweet cream over strawberries) :p

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29704 - 11/01/02 08:17 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
During the (Christmas) Holiday season, Turrónes are very popular desserts. There are 'hard' turrónes that are like peanut brittle and there are turrónes that are like halavah (i.e., almond paste). Most are almendra (almond). In summer, the people from Alicante who make the Turrónes distribute some fabulous Ice Cream flavors (Turrón, for example; and (would you believe?) Irish Coffee and Bailey's Irish Cream) in Andalucia. One ice cream store I know in Mazagon (Huelva) is called la Alicantina. After (midday) dinner (or in early evening), it's customary for vacationers to take a stroll and stop for an ice cream dessert.

I have also found such outlets in beach resorts in Cadiz: el Puerto de Santa Maria (on Avda. de Bajamar) and in Rota.

#29705 - 11/01/02 10:49 AM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
nevado Offline

I love arroz con leche and natillas! YMMMMMMMM! :p

#29706 - 11/01/02 12:16 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Marisa: forget all that has been said in this thread :p The ultimate dessert, which is typical for this day in Spain (día de Todos los Santos) is ¡¡buñuelos de viento!!

I was something bored and I have tried to make them at home successfully smile I've filled them with cream, chocolate cream and with blackberry marmalade... my family are still sucking their fingers hehehe

Fernando

#29707 - 11/01/02 12:32 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
FERNANDO!!! You beat me to it! My ladyfriend in Madrid surprised me here at work this morning with a telephone call. (she, like many Spaniards, have today off from work)

I told her about this thread and she said I should suggest Buñuelos. Also, she suggested Los Huesos de Santo for today's holiday. I don't know what these are but she says they're sweet.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29708 - 11/01/02 12:44 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Fernando, I'm so impressed by your cooking skills!!! eek ; you've made buñuelos, WOW! I'm not too familiar with them, but they seem quite hard to make without the proper equipment and know-how, congrats! laugh
Nevadita, I agree, a good arroz con leche is....mmmmmmm!, and some nice torrijas, and both things are very easy to make!

#29709 - 11/01/02 01:21 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Espe3 Offline

You can always go with Brazo Gitano, or Tarta de Santiago. smile

#29710 - 11/01/02 02:11 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
While I really really like flan (only if its casera -- home made), I LOVE arroz con leche. That is the best! Torrijas are yummy, but nothing spectacular in my opinion (as a desert) as they are much like the American breakfast food of French toast!

#29711 - 11/01/02 04:12 PM Re: favorite desserts in Spain
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Chica, someday you'll have to try some torrijas that are creamy and delicious for dessert (or my own 'caseras' ones laugh ). I remember they made great ones at I restaurant I used to go often, Samarkanda.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments