Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43108 - 05/07/01 05:18 PM university degrees
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
I am trying to figure out the different levels of degrees that one can earn at a Spanish university, and I can't seem to finad a good explanation. I am assuming it is similar to associate/bachelor/master/doctorate, etc like it is in the US, but I can't get the Spanish terms straight. Can someone please clarify: diplomado, diplomatura, titulo universitario, licenciado, licenciatura, ciclo segundo, ciclo tercero, and any other terms that may apply?
Thanks so much!

#43109 - 05/07/01 06:53 PM Re: university degrees
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I'll try to do my best to explain how the system works here in Spain, though it may be slightly different from one university to another.

First, you have the "Primer Ciclo" which usually takes 3 years and leads you towards a degree as a "Diplomado / Ingeniero Técnico / Arquitecto Técnico".

Then, you have the "Segundo Ciclo" which usually takes 2 years and leads you towards a degree as a "Licenciado / Ingeniero (Superior) / Arquitecto".

Finally, you have the "Tercer Ciclo" which takes another 2 years and leads you towards your Ph D ("Doctorado").

Note that most engineers (me among them :() have to do a end of career project to get their degrees. That is, after studying 3 / 5 years at the university, you have to do that project if you want to get your degree.

#43110 - 05/07/01 08:23 PM Re: university degrees
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
Thank you so much - that clears up a lot for me! I appreciate your help.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1913 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments